War Movies...

sc0pe

im sitting here wating the thin red line on austar, seen it a million times but can easily sit here with a can and watch it again, left me thinking, what war movies are a must have for the dvd collection?

ps, did anyone catch all 10 parts of band of brothers recently aired on austar/foxtel?

Three great movies with a war theme but not classic war movies.

The Outlaw Jossie Wales

Starts out at the end of the american civil war and becomes a classic cowboy movie.

Casablanca

African love story with the Nazis coming

The African Queen

The whole movie is centred on the Germans invading Africa (African love story with the Nazis coming)

All Brilliant

You young blokes should go and find them in the video (DVD) shop

Dave

Oh pleassse boys,

I can't believe no one has mentioned "We were Soldiers"

Mel Gibson plays the true role of a Viet Colonel.

I have watched it half a dozen tiimes and I still could watch it again.

The Ironic thing is that I watched the interviews aswell and they interviewed the Real Colonel.

He reckons that it was the only realistic movie covering the Vietnam War portraying actual live combat.

If you haven't seen it GET IT.

Guest Plastic Fanatic

In no particular order;

Seige at Fire Base Gloria

Saviour

We Were Soldiers

The Great Escape

Enemy at the Gates

War movie favourites in no particular order:

Platoon,

Apocoplypse Now,

Bridge over the river Kwai,

Black Hawk Down, - The book is better but a good movie none the less

Saving Private Ryan,

We Were Soldiers,

Full Metal Jacket (some of the best movie qoutes ever!)

Odd angry shot,

The Great Escape,

The Dirty Dozen,

Gallipoli,

Breaker Morant,

Cheers

Jas

they are currently making a sequel to band of brothers, based on the pacific battles. it will again be directed by tom hanks and have a 100 million plus budget, expected release date is 2009 tho, but its something to look out for.

did anyone catch the 13 part mini series of over there? was based on american soldiers in iraq

generation kill is supposedly ment to be another good series, but i havnt heard to much about it yet

Cant believe noone has mentioned Kellys Heroes Not just a war movie but a comedy as well with a great theme song Burning Bridges

I think it was released in the early seventies

Agree , Kelleys Hero's , a great movie.

Here a a couple more

A Few Good Men with Tom Cruise & Jack Nickleson. Not quite a war movie but close to it.

" Do you want the truth , you can't handle the truth."

A great one liner , or is that two

Father Goose with Cary Grant. Comedy about a reluctant coast watcher set in the Pacific during WW II

The Final Conflict. This will test out a few raiders . For those who may not have seen it , Stared Kirk Douglas. Made a few years back , a story of a modern day air craft carrier , passes through a time worp & comes out 2 days prior to the attack on Pearl Harbour.

Has a very interesting end , no , they did not save Pearl Harbour

The last but by no means least , The Longest Day

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Here a a couple more

A Few Good Men with Tom Cruise & Jack Nickleson. Not quite a war movie but close to it.

Father Goose with Cary Grant. Comedy about a reluctant coast watcher set in the Pacific during WW II

The Final Conflict. This will test out a few raiders . For those who may not have seen it , Stared Kirk Douglas. Made a few years back , a story of a modern day air craft carrier , passes through a time worp & comes out 2 days prior to the attack on Pearl Harbour.

Geoff

Geoff I love ya!

My cousin & I have had a raging battle over the movie final conflict & no video store attendant has ever been able to work out the title for us!

We had it mixed with the Phillidelphia experiment.

Hahaha The last place I ever would have thought of finding the name of that damn movie!

Go FishRaider !

Here a a couple more

Geoff

Ahhh!! I think you mean "The Final Countdown".

That was a great movie...

If you ever asked yourself "What would happen if an F-14 Tomcat and a Mistsubishi Zero were engaged in aerial combat??"

Some good movies listed there, heres my thought on a few:

Saving Private Ryan: Good action but sooo inaccurate.

We Were Soldiers: I like it but according to offical reports of the combat it was a bit innacurate. Also seemed to forget the mauling the other battalion got a few klicks away!

Thin Red Line: Interesting but the book was amazing.

Black Hawk Down: I enjoyed this, haven't read the book yet though

Platoon: Great movie that depicts the breakdown of a soldier pretty well

Memphis Belle: Great Aerial action but dramatised too much. The 'Belle' didnt get in hours after the rest of the squadron and wasnt damaged to any great degree.

Enemy At The Gates: Wasnt a bad depiction of Stalingrad but why in gods name ruin it with a dodgy love story in the middle! Interesting that Vassily Zaitsev was real but the German sniper was never confirmed by the Wermacht.

Apocalypse Now: Pretty good but a bit confusing at times. All though it shows the total breakdown of the US moral very well.

Full Metal Jacket: I liked the start but didnt enjoy the end. All though the grunts all singing Mickey Mouse at the end is a classic!

Battle of Britain: Aerial Combat at its best! Loved it.

Midway and Torra Torra Torra: A pair of classics, the real video interwoven through it is awesome. Love the views of the Yorktown listing and of the Divebombers coming down on the Hiryu.

The Iron Cross: Interesting movie of a great book. Some good footage of T34s

Downfall: A must see of Berlins last moments.

Battle of the Bulge: A classic but sadly very innacurate.

A Bridge too Far: Another classic that has dated very well. A wonderful depiction of the Red Devils at Arnhem.

The Longest Day: A great movie, a must see.

Waterloo: Only movie of perhaps one of the most influential battles in world history. Worth watching.

300: New one about the Battle of Thermopylae, good action but being based of a comic none to accurate!

Troy: Quite a good movie, all though I am sure Homer would cringe at Brad Pitt depicting Achillies!

Band of Brothers has been mentioned and I have to say this is one of the best series I have seen. Its better than the book which is something I dont say too often!

Cheers

Windy

Ahhh!! I think you mean "The Final Countdown".

That was a great movie...

If you ever asked yourself "What would happen if an F-14 Tomcat and a Mistsubishi Zero were engaged in aerial combat??"

Frizzy , your correct , just pulled the movie & played the intro , it is The Final Countdown .

Apoligies to FishDrought but I was close

I think the F-14 would have the upperhand

What I would like to know is how Commander Richard Owens , alias Mr Tideman ( in the back of the Black Caddy) was on the dock to farwell the ship when Owens was already on the board the ship

Geoff

Edited by Geoff