Sydney Harbour 2nd June, 2007

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

Once again, a magical weekend for fishing. Clear skys, bugger all wind and perfect tides. :1prop:

We headed out from Roseville at 5.00am on Saturday with the usual plan - Squid and Kings. I was lucky enough to be in Graeme's (Mate No.1) 6 metre Seafarer named KINGFISHER. Magnificent boat with all the trimmings. It was fitted out to a higher standard than my house and with more mod cons. True luxury.

Anyway, we hit the Spit for a few Arrows and then ventured out to North Head to try for a few Calamari. 4 hours and $60 bucks worth of Yo Zuris (now gracing the kelp - Tony, I will be in later this week for replacements) later, we had a one Calamari. It was 9.30am by this time and definetly time to drop a few Kingy baits down at our favourite spots.

With the 175 Yammie pushig us back inside at a great rate of knots, we hit the 8 knot zone and putted through the Spit to see Alex (Riader but not registered) anchored up at our first choice. We anchored wide and witnessed him pull in a just legal King. We had a few hits but no decent hook ups.

Off to Spot X..... this is where it gets interesting. :1yikes:

We pulled up, anchored with extreme dexterity and down go the baits. The boat starts to swing as the wind changes direction. We were getting a few hits and all of sudden, Daryl (Mate No.2) hooks up solidly. After a reasonable tussle, a beauitiful 65cm Kingy is in the net. Wooohooooo, our first June King.

We fished on and about half an hour later, Graeme hooks up on a dead weight. As he is reeling it up to the surface Daryl makes some sly comments about how it might be an high end expensive Japanese reel with an Ian Miller rod attached..... This gets me interested and I put my rod in the holder and lean over to where Graeme is playing in his dead weight.

I couldn't f....king believe it. As the "object" gets closer I can see a rod tip emerging. I instantly recognised the binding job and scream "its my rod, its my f..... rod". Slowly, up she comes expertly hooked through the second guide. I grab the tip and lift her in.... one extremely muddy Stella SW6000HG and a Miller Bay Buster. There was much yahooing and hollering and I had a tingle in my underpants. :biggrin2: I think the smile says it all. Unfortunately, the masked assasin who thieved the outfit in the first place was not connected. He had run me into the snag and busted himself off.

After that, I was spent.

We then headed off up the river to Spot M and picked up another two Kingies of similar size to Daryl's first. At about 2.00pm, we headed home with big smiles, June Kings, prodigal rods and above all, the elated feeling of having spent another fantastic day on the water with good mates.

Still can't believe the Stella retrieval... must be billions to one !!!! I still get a tear in the eye when I think of it. I actually slept with the Stella under my pillow last night.

Cheers Lads,

Mr. Ceph. A. Lopod

Edited by Ceph

Wow! :clapping: What are the odds ceph of getting that rod/reel back like that...I think you need to buy a lotto ticket this week with luck like that. Truly amazing!!!

Hope you can now get it back to working condition ater being in the briney for that long.

Nice Kingy too to boot.

It's days on the water like that that make it all worth while.

You are one lucky Raider for sure.

Cheers,'

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

HA HA HA HA

That s#$t doesn't just happen ceph!!!!! That was karma for copping all the cheap shots from everyone over the last few weeks!!!!!!!

I nearly fell of my chair when i read that!!!!!!

Didn't see you guys on the water i dont think but we must have crossed paths as we did an almost identical trip! only russeled up the one live arrow though after a good 2 hours at the spit!!!! :1badmood: Not happy!

Was just lucky we got a fresh calamari the day before!!!!

Good to hear you got your groove back..... i mean your stella back!!! I take it that one is going straight back to shimano for a little service??????? Got a coupple of kings to boot!!!! That must be your best day out on the water for a while!!!!!

Well done nice report......

From the looks of it Spot X seems to be the infamous Jaybird off Sugarloaf point....i spot which was mentioned in live chat just before the Kingy Social...that area fires well most times....

Is this the spot X that had been producing kings recently...if so no need to hide it as it is known as the Juno for kings by most raiders...

Theres a nice little Reef/Wreck that shits off the mustard coloured boat with a heap of baitfish of it...always fires well for kings

Great report Ceph , yesterday was a pearler on the water , it was good to be out !! I can only imagine your elation at getting your rod and reel back , thats the kind of stuff we like to read about ! And a June kingy to go with it !! Well done !

Ross

OMG :1yikes:

That what dreams are made of

hope you have not ordered another one

what is the chance of that in all that water the size of 7 eyelets

and maybe a reel post to hook with a hook and he done it.

good clean up and service and it will be all good (hope).

Nice report Ceph, and absolutely AMAZING that you managed to get your rig back !!!! Fantastic news, just have to get the salt water out and give it a good clean, well done mate.

She is on her way vai courier to Shimano for a strip down..... hopefully, I will have her back for this weekend. I still can't believe it !!!!!

Quick question Ceph, how was its condition....did you check it out inside and all,after spending so much time in the water it would be interesting to find out how well the stella stood up......

I imagine it would need a service...any info would be good

Quick question Ceph, how was its condition....did you check it out inside and all,after spending so much time in the water it would be interesting to find out how well the stella stood up......

Netic,

I had it soaking in a bucket filled with fresh water whilst we completed out fishing on Saturday. When I got it home, I gave it a good going over with warm soapy water with a kitchen brush. I dried it off, got my micro screw drivers out and commenced the dissasembly.

I got as far as the rear part of the cover and the shaft retaining plate. The spindle and bearing dropped out of the back and I got nervous. I looked at the schematic it came with, and the amount of components got me worried. I then spray oiled the hell out of the interior, put it back together and wrapped it in an oily cloth ready for emergency transit to Shimano this morning.

Shimano have said that it will need some new bearings, drag washers and other bits and pieces. They will completely srtip it and clean it with Kero, re-grease and re-assemble. Cost will be in the order of $100.

Money well spent, I say.

Sorry.. I forgot to tell about the condition - it was muddy and waterlogged but still silky smooth. The bail was still free and snapped in and it without resistance.

The spool had mud in it, the line was discoloured and the butt was covered in mud but the tip was clean which indicates that it may have plummeted butt first into the silt and shit on the bottom. I reckon it was buried up the the reel and the rest of the rod was sticking up. I know a guy who knows a guy who has dived this spot and he says that the bottom is covered in a really fine silty mud which is about a metre deep. I think the reel was in this silty mud.

I will post the outcome with Shimano.

Cheers

Ceph.

Hi Go hard

This exact combo went overboard 2 weeks back

click below to read whole story

Click me for story

I dont get it? did you lose the rod on that particular day or on a previous occasion?

Ceph

You didn,t like it anyway did you

see quote below

to be honest, the rod was a little bit long for me

you may see if Sammy wants to sell you the line Retainer back :biggrin2:

hope you didn,t sell all your spares

Congrats on the fish and the combo.

How lucky was that!!!

I hope Graeme sold it back to you for a good price !!! LOL :074:

How amazing is that? Out of all the people that could have caught it over the last 2 weeks and you were there to re-claim it. It is lucky enough that it was retrieved, but to be there when it was, is even more amazing.

I think we should all go in a Lotto ticket with Ceph, although he has probably used up a lifetime of luck on that catch. :thumbup:

Cheers

Greg

that really is an awsome stroke of luck.

And they say us fishermen are always telling exagerated stories.

I will be saving this one for the memory bank.

well done.

Shimano should be paying you for the story

Mate,

Quite right... they should be giving me some free stuff !!!! I will send a formal request. :1prop:

see quote below

you may see if Sammy wants to sell you the line Retainer back :biggrin2:

hope you didn,t sell all your spares

Mate, I stil have all the spares.....

How is the Tekota??

Edited by Ceph