Bate Bay

Cobalt

Greetings Folks,

Finaly talked my mate, Plazmaman, into going out to the Merries Reef Sunday afternoon for a bait session. For once conditions were great. First fish was a snapper that went 3.5kg caught on a squid head just after sunset. As it got dark we got lots of Choppers (mostly undersize) and a smoagasboard of various reef ooglies in evry shape and colour known to mankind.

The Tailor were realy damaging the traces with their chop chop chopping and I ended up having to re-tie the hooks every couple of casts. Even then I lost a nice Jew near the boat wnen the mangled trace parted. Oh well. :05:

All in all a very pleasant evening on the water.

Sorry bout the quality of the phone pic. Best I could do at the time.

Henry

post-2739-1180920313_thumb.jpg

Nice fish mate.

I wanted to go to the reef yeaterday but wasn't sure whether my boat could handle it. Its a 15 footer with centre consol and 60hp outboard. What size boat are you using at the moment to get out there? on a resonably calm day would my boat be sufficient?

Thanks

Nice fish mate.

I wanted to go to the reef yeaterday but wasn't sure whether my boat could handle it. Its a 15 footer with centre consol and 60hp outboard. What size boat are you using at the moment to get out there? on a resonably calm day would my boat be sufficient?

Thanks

Greetings,

This was our first trip out there for a number of yaers and we did it in style in my mates 6.5m boat but for many years I fished the area in a number of 14 footers and assorted tinnies. You should have no trouble in your boat.

If conditions are nice you can fish out the front or if not then once behind the reef you are protected from anything comming from the south east east and northeast so the only dodgy bit can be getting there across Bate Bay.

Regards

Henry

great fish mate!

thanks for the report!

hey tumra i have a 4.5m center console with a 60hp, preaty deep boat ive been out there every week for the last 6 weeks no probs though this week seas look big so maybe if your keen next week you can follow me out pm me if your keen!

Great red, would be a fantastic meal at that size...

Just out of curiousity, is that the same Plazmaman that designs and fabricates performance car parts etc?

That's him

Henry