Cliff Fishing 11/6/07

mako1

Hit the cliff tops hoping to score some snapper after the wild weather.

Arrived there just before sunrise.There was a good swell running and a light westerly blowing,so the conditions were great for a snapper.Set the baits out and sat back and enjoyed the sunrise.

post-2229-1181562059_thumb.jpg

Had heaps of smaller bites which turned out to be small snapper just under the legal size.

Ended up landing 4 keeper snapper ranging from 32cm-39cm from all of the smaller ones.

post-2229-1181562661_thumb.jpg

Floated some pilchards in the washes but didn't get any takes.I thought there would be some bigger snapper in the washes but there were only small ones on the bottom.Looks like the bigger fish might have moved back to the closer reefs after a feed.

There were heaps of whales passing and some large pods of dolphins which were great to see.

Called it quits at 12pm and headed for home.

One of the bigger waves breaking.

post-2229-1181563908_thumb.jpg

There are hooks/claw things attached to a rope.. Maybe thats what Davy is talking about... Ive seen bushie pull up a decent taylor from a 20 m cliff with one.

in Rex Hunts vol. 1. a young bloke hauls up a bald chin grouper and a big gold spot trevally from a similar height, hair raising stuff , would not like to be so close to a big drop myself

There are hooks/claw things attached to a rope.. Maybe thats what Davy is talking about... Ive seen bushie pull up a decent taylor from a 20 m cliff with one.

Yahuh, these buggers with a rope attached to it..

post-1543-1181625389_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Davy

Edited by Davy

geeez thats a big drop mate .. well done on the snapper though i cant wait to get some of my own to eat ... yummm hahah

so what area of nsw are you fishing... P.M me if you want it descreet

This spot is on the Kurnell Peninsula,near the Cape Bailey Lighthouse.It's a great spot to fish.There is heaps of wildlife,some great views from the clifftops and the fishing is pretty good.It's hard to believe it's so close to Sydney.

Hey Mako

That looks awesome, so do you throw from the top and when you get something just pull it right to the top of the cliff?

How far would they be?

Nice reds, great eating at that size.

Cheers

Kiwi Dan

I fish two bottom baits which I cast out to the drop-off and I floatfish in close.When I get a fish if it's a smaller one I just pull it up,but if it's a bigger fish I use a cliff gaff like the one in the pic posted by Davy.

lol even with a cliff gaff u wont be able to reach it. Look at the drop, its like 20 metres or something.

The drop is about 30m-35m.I take a 50m rope with me which I use to get water and for the cliff gaff.

Awesoem vies! would be interesting if you hook up a big fish!

There are some huge kings that live in the area and out of 7 hookups on the bigger ones 1 has spooled me and the others have reefed me.Due to the shallow boulders in close it makes it difficult to land any big kings but I might get lucky one day.With all of the other fish they are easier to land because they are being fought from a high point so they come to the surface pretty quickly.

cliff fishing is pretty hairy stuff alrite, done it one down bundeena way and probly never do it again, one fall and your gone, especially when rock climbing was needed to get to the spot. however when we were there we did see a heap of fish smahing the surface but they were just out of casting range. tailor is my guess.