What Is It?

wrasseman

Question

Caught a couple of these yesterday, any suggestions.

male_perch__small__156.jpg

I'm thinking Barber Perch Caesioperca rasor or possibly butterfly perch C. lepidoptera but I could be wrong.

Also scored this sweep__small__804.jpg

which I reckon is a sweep but I've never seen those brown bits on the tail tips before and sweep aren't real common down here.

cheers

col.

17 answers to this question

I believe its a Sea Sweep, caught them at Eden and I know of one caught near Maroubra(very rare this far north)

B.F.

Thanks for that it just looks a bit different to the everyday sweep i've seen before, the brown tail tips are just part of it, the shape is slightly off too and it was a bit thicker through the body and there's a faint band behind the head too. Sea sweep it is.

Cheers

Col.

second is definately a sweep, i quite often get them at the rip bridge

in brisbane waters. i also have never seen those brown marks on

the tail, or maybe i've just never noticed or looked for it before.

regards mark

I'm with Chris on this one - I don't reckon it's a sweep, at least not the kind we get around here. It certainly looks similar, and could be a close relative, but the head shape is off and the tail colouration is weird. Might be a batfish of some kind?

Anyways - could be wrong. Where's flattieman when you need him?

Where's flattieman when you need him?

You rang, mate? :biggrin2: I've been up on the Central Coast without the internet for a few days - fished the beaches for a decent catch of flatties, tailor and a few salmon (also lost an approx. 15kg jew, Mondo :thumbdown: ). Anyway... guys, you've made some excellent points. Indeed, the closest match I can find for the fish in question is the sea sweep (Scorpis aequipinnis) - good suggestion, Blackfish. The brown tips of the tail really puzzle me, though - so I can't blame CFD and Mondo for disagreeing. Perhaps it's local morphology and adaptation/genetic abnormality... I'm not entirely sure, but I am sure that those distinct brown markings are certainly anomalous...

Flattieman.