Boating At The Fads

abiasin

hi guys, im just doing some research on a future purchase of a bigger boat than i currently have.

All i can think about is fishing the fads after i scored my first dollie with dave on team offtap (thanks again dave).

what size boat would be the minimum to take to the fads on a normal day conditions wise. i wouldnt be looking at going out in stupid weather as i am not willing to die just jet.

any opinions on size, type of hull, alum or fibre would be muchly appreciated. i will be purchasing second hand as brand new is going to be too expensive i think. Prob budget of no more than 10-15k is this dreaming or are possibility.

i am looking at a purchase around march next year after my wedding so i will start the researching now and hopefully have an answer by then.

the smallest boat id go out in is my boat, a 4.7 metre fibre half cab.

although i wouldn't go out there at the moment (need a larger fuel tank and more safety gear) and i would definitely watch the weather closely as its still a fair way out. I would also buddy up with another vessel the first couple of times

p.s im talking about the close fad only (10k's)

Edited by domza

the smallest boat id go out in is my boat, a 4.7 metre fibre half cab.

although i wouldn't go out there at the moment (need a larger fuel tank and more safety gear) and i would definitely watch the weather closely as its still a fair way out. I would also buddy up with another vessel the first couple of times

p.s im talking about the close fad only (10k's)

i was thinking around a 4.5-5m cuddy in fibreglass myself. definately only interested in the close fads

In january we were coming back from the close fad due to bad weather and saw a 5 meter alloy heading out to the fad, these were nuts conditions and we were uncomfortable in a 6meter fibreglass, i think domza may have been with us on that trip.

Yes cfd you love catching dollies and landing them on ridiculously light gear.

cheers james

Mate to get to the close fad a 4.7 alum would be fine...i have been to the wide fad on my own boat and its only a 4.75alum........and its not a deep v either.....

Just pick your days but you will be surprised how good a modern boa can handle even when the weather does turn to shi.t....

Hopefully next season the dollies will turn up in greater numbers

Hello

id like to jump onto this with a couple questions of my own. What size motor would be sufficient enough? I have a 4.66m Alum centre console with a 40hp mariner on it, would I be crazy getting out in that?

cheers

Kiwi Dan

If you have plenty of fuel mate it should be sufficient.

Just don't pick a day when the wind will turn sour at about lunchtime. This is when you need a boat that you can really push through the waves at speed to get in before the southerly kicks in.

IFS

Hello

id like to jump onto this with a couple questions of my own. What size motor would be sufficient enough? I have a 4.66m Alum centre console with a 40hp mariner on it, would I be crazy getting out in that?

cheers

Kiwi Dan

Mate pick the right days and carry all the safety gear.....a 40hp on a 4.6 will get up and go when she needs to.....Log in with the coastguard on your way out and you should be fine......but most important just keep an eye on the forecast to make sure no stronger winds are predicted

Mate you will be fine in anything over 4.5m, even smaller if you are game! I went out to the fad half a dozen times solo this season and cleaned up every session(bagged out almost every time) and that was all in a 4.4m centre console with a 30hp.

Like CFD and Netic have mentioned, pick the right days, have all the essential safety gear, let someone know that your heading out and always keep an eye on the weather. You should have no troubles..

One factor you might like to consider is buying a boat with a very deep V. I find it does make a big difference when you are out there and there is a bit of chop. Having a deep V provides a somewhat smoother ride as it cuts through the chop and you wont have so much water entering the boat.

Hello

cheers

Kiwi Dan

Mate your boat is fine to head out there..

Goodluck

DAN