Sussex Inlet

MGibbo

Whilst everyone north of Wollongong were battling the weather, we headed down to Sussex Inlet on the Thursday until Monday and had a ball. No huge fish as we caught heaps of undersized flatties - anyone down that way should give it a few weeks time and there'll be loads of big one ready for the pan.

We all fished each day and I happily enjoyed a flounder on the BBQ one night - such a deliciously sweet fish. My brother-in-law had most of the luck with catching a blue swimmer, bream, flattie and trevally all in the one session - which ended up being a nice seafood selection for dinner.

Here are a few pics I took of my brother/sister-in-law's boat, St George's Basin and Sussex - hard to believe what was going on up north.

post-3514-1181822066_thumb.jpg

post-3514-1181822112_thumb.jpg

post-3514-1181822170_thumb.jpg

post-3514-1181822210_thumb.jpg

post-3514-1181822302_thumb.jpg

Looks idyllic Marg!!

Ross

Yeh gorgeous place, however, it would have been more idyllic if the fish were bigger!!! A local guy told us they were catching snapper in the middle of St George's Basin - we didn't manage that but we did reel in a few clams ... weird stuff they must have been after our prawns ... eventually used them for bait then caught a few flatties but all short of legal.

Noticed Hawkesbury prawns for sale down there for twice the price of the local prawns - I was starting to wonder if the local prawns are actually for the tourists as they weren't that effective.

I headed out one afternoon by myself which was when I took the sunset pic on my way up towards the mouth of the inlet - the current was so fast I threw in my anchor - later on it was so hard to retrieve the anchor as it was covered in seaweed which I had to remove as I pulled it in. Love a drama!

it is a nice place im lucky enough to live here great pics shame you couldnt catch a few more fish theres been good reports down here,were u using lures or bait?

I was using both SP's and bait. The SP's were getting chomped but nothing big enough to hook - I was sure with the current running so fast up at the mouth I'd be able to get something big. Used some of Mrs Watto's SP's (thanks Claudia) but all catches were on bait. Better luck next time.

That is gorgeous! Never been there - where is it exactly?? Must put it on our radar next time we go south!

Can't believe you missed the carnage. It was a shocker.

Cheers

ROberta

PS Love your photos! So relaxing

Marg - if you're ever heading down there again and want some tips on how to target the bigger flatties in that system send me a pm and I'll try to give you some locations and pointers. I've been going there regularly for the past 15 years and know a couple of tricks that should help.

I've also seen some big jews pulled out of the river - with all your new jewfishing knowledge it should be easy for you to score!!

is that green boat a early model mustang?

I believe it's a Carribean Sandpiper - it used to belong to my father-in-law many years ago but is now my Sister-in-laws. My father-in-law really looks after things - it's probably almost as good as the day he purchased it.

Marg - if you're ever heading down there again and want some tips on how to target the bigger flatties in that system send me a pm and I'll try to give you some locations and pointers. I've been going there regularly for the past 15 years and know a couple of tricks that should help.

I've also seen some big jews pulled out of the river - with all your new jewfishing knowledge it should be easy for you to score!!

Thanks Mondo - got to admit that when we visited the Basin the first time I had know idea where to start for the best fishing spot. We drove across it to see if we could find any holes and it all seemed to be around 30-31feet deep, so we went with the advice of the local waterside petrol shop. After that we headed to a little park and fished just where the drop off was and drifted - this is where we caught most of the flatties and a few clams.

A friend was recently down there and was waterskiing in the Basin but kept hitting sandbars, however, we didn't notice any.

I was a little disappointed with the Sussex area for fishing as I was sure some big ones should be swimming down the channel, but maybe our timing was all wrong. It was hard to tell when the tide was high/low.

That is gorgeous! Never been there - where is it exactly?? Must put it on our radar next time we go south!

Can't believe you missed the carnage. It was a shocker.

Cheers

ROberta

PS Love your photos! So relaxing

I could see you paddling around sussex Roberta - it's about 45km south of Nowra. Definitely worth a visit. There seems to be a caravan park right where the inlet is but I not too sure how you get to it as it's on the otherside of the inlet from Sussex. Sussex it's self is a great place to holiday - it's a little village with all that you need even a great RSL on the water.

Love the Basin fish it quite often

Theres plenty of fish in it now

Hope theres plenty of bream around in a couple of weeks when Swordie and I will be down there for a bream comp

If you aim for bream I'm positive you'll get them as they were chomping away at our baits quite often - unfortunately only caught one keeper others were all just undersized - we left them for you so I hope they fatten up and grow by the time you arrive down there.

Edited by MGibbo

Took these Thursday when we arrived.

Your photos are fantastic, they capture the moment perfectly, well done and better luck next time with the fish. Maybe the moderators could have a "picture of the month" thread. Your photos would be in there for sure.

I am heading down to JB in a few weeks to visit the outlaws and wasnt going to bother with the boat, you have changed all that.

Rgds

Jim

Edited by achjimmy

Your photos are fantastic, they capture the moment perfectly, well done and better luck next time with the fish. Maybe the moderators could have a "picture of the month" thread. Your photos would be in there for sure.

I am heading down to JB in a few weeks to visit the outlaws and wasnt going to bother with the boat, you have changed all that.

Rgds

Jim

Hi Jim - I love the outdoors so much (even in the rain) - some of my girlfriends call me the rainbow chaser like those that chase twisters. I think because my family are outdoors so often and I always have my camera with me and the opportunities to capture a great shot are endless. My camera is either in my handbag, in the centre console of the car or just conveniently placed in a pocket in the boat when I'm fishing. I'm passionate about all that I love that being my family, my fishing, my photography and enjoying my life to the max. Deep I know but so true. Mutli-tasking to the max - monitoring your line whilst you snap nature.

Hey McGibbo, what kind of camera are you using, SLR or point and shoot? Great shots. I have a feeling it's the photographer rather than the camera, but curious anyways.

It's actually just a point and shoot camera - Olympus Camedia C740 with 10X zoom. Not too fancy but it does the trick. Thanks for you nice comments.

Cheers Marg

Howdy all,

Thought I would add a couple of pics from my trip down to sussex a few weeks before the long weekend. Always a magic spot, and the fish were on too. We had a great session around the island / reef just out of the estuary mouth.

Cheers!

Scott.

post-901-1182325935_thumb.jpg

post-901-1182325952_thumb.jpg

post-901-1182325963_thumb.jpg

post-901-1182325974_thumb.jpg