Plastics At Night .. Anyone Tried ?

stylo

i think a few people have tried it successfully. not sure though

you'll never know for yourself if ya dont just have a crack at it and see what happens though!

have fun, oh and make sure you've got a good headlamp, they're an invaluable tool for night fishing.

Thanks champ. I have headlamps, torches and lanterns .. CHECK !

It's going to be freezing tonight I will be rugged up and wearing gloves so don't want hands (and gloves) to smell like bait .. don't fancy washing my hands with freezing water either !!

Any others with good results flicking plastics at night ?

I went with a mate (kantong) a couple of weeks ago and tried flicking plastics on Cooks river at night. I didn't get anything (squidgies) but he managed to hook up a nice flattie (berkley 3inch minnows I think) unfortunately the hooks pulled as he was bringing it up. We gave up after an hour or so cos we were cold and hungry! So it's definitely possible, just be prepared to freeze your nuts off in this weather!

Fishing at the end of the cooks river breakwall at about 4.30am on my mates 8foot dinghys i decided to throw out a sp shad( can't remember brand or details) first cast i started my retreive and SMASH ZZZZZZZ alrite fought a big flatty to the side of the boat approx 65cm mark 8lb mainline 10lb trace got him to side of boat a few head shakes and GOOOONSKIS, this was in the dark was pitch black.

cheers james

yeah mate i have good results, but only on flatties and believe it or not big whiting. the key to flatties is either glow in the dark sp's or scented sp's like gulp. the whiting i have caught however seem to respond better with plastics that are the same colour as the bottom, for instance the biggest i caught was pushing a kilo and was over shallow sand flats on a white coloured sp. i think they sense the movement and then hit it without really thinking... let us know how you go tho!

I read in all the magazines about how guys get loads of jewies on big sp's over the Summer at night time.

I personally can't stop catching pike on small flickbaits before the sun rises, soon as it does rise they are gone.

IFS

G`day Fellas ,

Yep , I have seen some non Locals here land some very good Jews On Those Large Softies.

I` ll ask the fella next time he walks past what they were , the anglers had come up for a visit and had been staying with him.

Mick

G`day Fellas ,

Just keep in mind that it`s tough work using those big softies from the beach at night , especially when It`s pitch black dark.

You are continously casting out into the Gutters , and if there is no Light at all , some skill is needed to get your Lure out and in the Direction of the gutter.

I have had fellas casting almost 160 Degrees accross me in the Dark , and once I almost got cleaned up by a 100 gram ball sinker and Pillie rig that just missed me.

One thing about bait is , you just anchor it and wait.

So , make sure you have plenty of room between you and the others , although with the temp at 8 degrees , I dont think you will have all that much company.

Mick

I read in all the magazines about how guys get loads of jewies on big sp's over the Summer at night time.

I personally can't stop catching pike on small flickbaits before the sun rises, soon as it does rise they are gone.

IFS

too right mate, pik love the plastics especisally if you are near rocky structure. the tailor are also worth targeting in well lit areas lit the spit.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah mate i have good results, but only on flatties and believe it or not big whiting. the key to flatties is either glow in the dark sp's or scented sp's like gulp. the whiting i have caught however seem to respond better with plastics that are the same colour as the bottom, for instance the biggest i caught was pushing a kilo and was over shallow sand flats on a white coloured sp. i think they sense the movement and then hit it without really thinking... let us know how you go tho!

last year i decided that seeing as i couldn't get a straight answer about flatty's on plastic at night i would find out the hard way... as mentioned bridge pylons and lights help.... so does bait.... to say the least i was surprised..... pink and fluoro yellow worked well but in reality in dirty water at night fish are chasing vibrations... action is most important.... i use paddle tails and have had flattys have 4 or 5 go's at it......boat based helps....in summer we find that this is a sweet way to avoid both crowds and nth easters.... just try and get to the ramp when the tourists are getting out.. you will need to fire a few casts in the daylight to get the feel for it.....

i like shads because i can slow roll with plenty of pauses...no rod work otherwise you will create slack line...

this being said all the rules apply... last two hrs of runout help....cast up current into the dark and fish back through where the lights shine on the water.... there is one more thing but i can't do all the work lol\

braid and a reasonable graphite rod are essential, as is some daylight knowledge of the drops and channels involved..

my best sessions last year were at night...in december i pulled 16 fish in 1 1/2 hours and the next night went back for four fish from four casts...50, 55 60 and 70 cm respectively, all released.....have a crack

flatty fanaticcccc :1fishing1:

Fishing at the end of the cooks river breakwall at about 4.30am on my mates 8foot dinghys i decided to throw out a sp shad( can't remember brand or details) first cast i started my retreive and SMASH ZZZZZZZ alrite fought a big flatty to the side of the boat approx 65cm mark 8lb mainline 10lb trace got him to side of boat a few head shakes and GOOOONSKIS, this was in the dark was pitch black.

cheers james

hi james is that the little 8 foot dingy i saw going around the pylons at taren point about 5 or 6 weeks ago ?

a water cop deckie mate of mine from sans souci told me they pulled alongside a little 8 footer with 2 big jewies in tow roped along each side with a young bloke in it? i think he said they struck the little 8 footer at tom ugly's bridge that night.

i saw an 8 foot dingy one night when taren point julius and i were jewying the the second taren pylon .

the little 8 footer had two blokes in it that night. one was a large stouter bloke looking a little like humpty dumpty in the little 8 footer tub.

they were flicking soft plastics all over the place and we were in my white centre consul and a few pylons away from the other night boats.

regards

jewgaffer

fish on james :1fishing1:

The first time I ever got really interested in SPs was after a night session at Juno. I was using Berkley Gulps which are scented and I think that made the difference. I managed to pull in quite a few fish that night while my mate who was sticking to baits got zip.

Interestingly, I noticed that I was catching more by just leaving the rod in the holder and allowing the motion of the boat move the lure, than the usual cast & retreive technique. I know this because no matter what I was doing, it was always the other rod (which ever I wasn't holding at the time) that starting bending over.

Now I use them whenever and wherever I can.

cheers

Mysterythecat.

Plastics at night work. Just fish them super slow. I like Gulps at night because of the scent.

I mainly target bream and the craws or worms on a hidden weight system jig head is deadly over the flats.

Of late we have been using lipless crank baits at night and these have out fished plastics. The rattle is the key. If they cant see it they will surely hear it. They cast further so you can cover a lot more water to.

Cheers

Greg

I will only add my two cents worth.

While I am sure SP's catch fish at night, from my experience with trout in muddy water and at night, i reckon "noisy" lures are best, and also things that disturb a lot of sand on the sea bed.

Davo