Blue Marlin

james1990

Hi guys

Need to get some knowledge on these monsters, i have a few questions to ask.

What time of year is the best time off sydney?

Where abouts do i chase them off sydney?

What baits are most productive?

What tackle is recomended ie- reels, rods, hooks, traces, luresetc?

And who here has caught one?

Mate lure sizez will vary from year to year....match the sizes with the bait schools they are chasing....6 weeks ago we were getting them on 8 inch skirts........

And mate if your chasing big blues like we encountered ...i mean 200kg + a 30W just doesnt do...you need 50W with 50lb or preferably 80lb...

Mate check the way in records at the SGFC from 6 weeks ago........our boys got 3 in 1 day....207kg going the largest...all off sydney just off the shelf..

Edited by netic

James 1990

Just a brief rundown regards your questions regards the mighty blue marlin

1.Its not unusual to expect to come across blue marlin at any time of the summer season

with the higher probabillity increasing from april to may infact before the recent blow

there were quite a few around early june which is not unusual

2.The shelf and beyond' browns' numerous canyons infact they can pop up any where at times

particulary if a food source is abundant striped tuna yellowfin tuna etc

3. the above mentined bait slimey's etc and of course lures

4.tackle most of the game boys employ 24kg and above for these denizons of the deep

And the last question who. well to wet your appetite let me tell you for example at xmas just gone

we were watching 20-30 kg yellowfin getting hammered by a constant barrage of blue marlin during the course of the day if

memory serves me right there were 23 called as tagged by the boats that experienced it that day

many gamefisherman aspire to tangle with the blue marlin i am quite sure that Ross hunter on Broadbill

as acheived this quest for many a person off many who own there own boat some game fishos

have put many hours in there quest for a blue marlin but it dosnt come easy.

debate has gone on for many a year re lures and tactics for the blue marlin stick to a med size lure

popular is the............. Med sprocket in lumo, evil, but to name two :thumbup:

Cheers Steve

James,

As Steve has said mate. they can turn up anytime.

but there can and usually are a lot of hours in between bites.

2 seasons ago we had a great run of blues off broken bay in mid january

you couldnt get a lure past them!

you are best off running a med spread as you will still get stripes and bigger blacks having a go too...

med sprocket in evil is my pick ;)

Col

Edited by djmac

Thanks for all the knowledge guys, i have learnt alot just from this thread.

Sounds like i may have to save for a larger gameoutfit.

Just got all my gear serviced last week, 3 beastmasters got the clutchplates replaced and a major full on service, bring on the yft's and marlin in summer.

cheers james

Edited by james1990

On the flip side i hope we dont perseive that only blues get caught out in the abyass or on elephant gear

this is not the case, it has and does quite often happen inside the shelf and to as close as 12 mile reef of

sydney for example many a blue as been caught on 15kg and less its just that when you target this fish

what as allready been said is the usual norm as said it can happen at any place and time and in quite a lot of

cases.........fishing on social a day when you are least expecting it to happen is when it does how well you are

prepared for when it does then decides wether you will be :yahoo: or . :ranting2:

Cheers Steve

Hi guys

Need to get some knowledge on these monsters, i have a few questions to ask.

What time of year is the best time off sydney?

Where abouts do i chase them off sydney?

What baits are most productive?

What tackle is recomended ie- reels, rods, hooks, traces, luresetc?

And who here has caught one?

I think the upcoming FR workshop may answer some of these questions for u.

penguin

Good advice penguin, Ross Hunter will be able to answer all those questions.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

There is a pretty good article on my web site that will give you all the answers on blue marlin You do not want to target these line burners on anything less than a Tiagra wide loaded with 24kg They are the fastest and most powerful of all our marlin species their first crazy run can be blistering. The best season we had on blues was in '92 we caught seven on BROADBILL all around the 200kg with a couple over 250kg and the current record 297kg. This fish took 800 metres of 24 and all but spooled us and believe me Broady is pretty good at going backwards, but we awere lucky as it did not go deep. Most of the fish that season were caught on 24kg and nearly all on lumo sprockets or live yellowfin.

Read article "How to catch blue marlin and blacks and stripes' on www.gamefishingcharters.com.au go into "fishing stories and hints" and scroll back it may help.

Good luck with our Sydney line burners. :1fishing1: