Blackfish In Murky Water

labrador

Hi Raiders,

After suffering from wdl syndrome, I was determine not to let this weekend pass by without wetting the line.

Yesterday went to my local blackie ground, to my surprise the water is not that murky, it has still have some fresh water on it but not bad. (Thanks Roberta for telling me that blackie bites in murky water). To cut the long story short, I fished and managed to haul six blackies, 31 - 37 long. Nice christening for my birhtday pressie BB Elite 8' bream rod with 2500 Symetre, yes Raiders from now on I will use my bream rod for blackie in the Harbour, it's just so comfortable to use and so easy to net the fish especially if you are on your own.

Thanks again Roberta for the tip.

Scoutpost-4147-1182658799_thumb.jpg

Well done Scout!!! Great looking fish - they give you a good fight, eh? Did you have any hassles getting weed or cabbage? They have been very quiet up here this week. May leave it now, till the full moon (bet I won't!) - that is when they really come on the chew, with the big tides!

How did you cook them? They are great either crumbed or smoked.

Cheers

Roberta

They taste beautiful! They are now my preferred eating fish, even over bream & flatties!! Just make sure they are well bled & filleted & skinned! They are not a fish you can leave lying around the floor of the boat or even in the esky for hours before 'dealing' with! Most folk keep them alive in a keeper net (if in a boat) & only kill & bleed them when heading for home. Then fillet & skin them as soon as you can. They freeze really well, too.

Cheerio

Roberta

Well done Scout!!! Great looking fish - they give you a good fight, eh? Did you have any hassles getting weed or cabbage? They have been very quiet up here this week. May leave it now, till the full moon (bet I won't!) - that is when they really come on the chew, with the big tides!

How did you cook them? They are great either crumbed or smoked.

Cheers

Roberta

Thanks Roberta, it's the fight that keeps me coming back for it. There are so little cabbage left at the wharf where I am getting it, I am just hoping it will grow back to have enough to last the season. As for cooking, I normally fillet them put some salt and leave in the fridge for 8 hrs to dehydrate (dry) and then fry with olive oil, but my wife who loves fish has some other way of cooking them which I don't want to know. One day I am going to try to smoke them.

Scout

Well done on the blackfish. sounds like a nice bream rod. I think the disadvantage you will find with using an eightfoot rod in some other places is strikingthe fish with such a short length, especially when fishing a long way out from your rod tip in wind. Otherwise it sounds like a beautiful rod.

Davo

Well done on the blackfish. sounds like a nice bream rod. I think the disadvantage you will find with using an eightfoot rod in some other places is strikingthe fish with such a short length, especially when fishing a long way out from your rod tip in wind. Otherwise it sounds like a beautiful rod.

Davo

You are right Davo, that is why I try not to throw my float too far away from the banks also I try not to have too much loop in the line (I'm not sure if that's the right term) while waiting for the downs. Definitely I won't be using this off the rocks.

Scout

PS. Couple of questions for you guys, I had 9 downs and I got 6 fish, is that a normal strike rate or I still have a lot to learn? Hook, I haven't had any success with RED hook, do you?

Hi Scout

6 fish for 9 downs is a brilliant tally - just as well you weren't there casting as many times as me on the breakwall - or you'd have 500 fish & be in trouble with the law! Sometimes it seems like a cast of thousands for a handful of fish! However, when the fish are 'on' (as the obviously were for you the other daY!) it sort of makes it look easy!

Keep the memories of that session in your memory bank cos the next session may not be so easy!! When the going gets tough, that is when the patience is really tested! That's fishin'!!

Well done

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta