Fish Id

riceball

Question

Guys, caught this thing last Friday while live baiting for John Dory in port jackson. This fish looks like made for walking (on the sea floor). Any suggestion for the ID?

BTW, this thing was only winning the live bait yakka by 2cms, but he swallowed it.

post-1028-1182945404_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

I agree with Kiwi Waynie in the classification as an anglerfish. I'm quite sure that it's a Striped Anglerfish (Antennarius striatus). Another Raider, twoducks, encountered one that looks very similar to yours - take a look at this thread:

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...ic=13164&hl

Here's a few of pics of the Striped Anglerfish from fishbase:

Anstr_u2.gif

tn_Anstr_u0.jpg

tn_Anstr_u1.jpg

And another from vibrantsea.net:

frogfish30_stvincent1_172.jpg

And one from Wikimedia:

300px-Antennarius_striatus.jpg

One more from the WA Museum:

Antennarius_striatus.jpg

Just search in Google images if you need any more!

Hope this helps,

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Thanks for the info guys. It is a rare catch. I thought they only live in very deep sea where there’s no light at all. Because looks like it has no eyes. I also got a massive grinner as well on live yakka. That thing went all most 60cm. Looks like you can catch everything on those poor yakkas.

i recently heard a radio interview with an amercian marine bioligist that came over especialy to study angler fish in sydney harbour, the gist of the interview was that local divers have helped identify several new species. and some examples where frozen and taken back to the US for study