Analyse This!

Seagoon

I'll be keen to read what those with experience have to say!

It looks like that S pearfish tries to back up just before hitting the first big wave (where is nearly goes over sideways :wacko: )

I am a relative newby to bar crossings (done Narooma, South West Rocks & Yamba a few times). Is it wise to be stopped in the water before a large wave? Wouldn't some forward power help maintain your steerage? (I understand trimming the motor down fully helps keep the front of the boat down)

I often wonder if the bar crossing looks worse from the shore than on the boat :biggrin2:

Cheers

Holmesie

Edited by Holmesie

Bars are dangerous for sure

I done my first at SWR at christmas and it was all good

Sure they where filming etc but I think it was silly for hitting the left as the right was better and wouldn,t of put you or your crew in danger.

I done my first at SWR at christmas and it was all good

SWR is a tricky little bar hey, Johnno? I stood on the wall and watched it for 30mins or so till I was sure of the best approach to it - it was all good for me too :thumbup:

I agree - not smart to be a sitting duck with oncoming whitewater. At least a little bit of forward momentum would keep the bow into the frothy stuff and reduce the risk of getting swamped.

Have only ever crossed bars in big rigs so not too much of an issue but as long as everyone is wearing their type 1 PFD's and skipper has his wits about him (watching the surf and other boats crossing) should be ok.

Does look like fun doesnt it!

Personally I find the return approach a little more daunting...

SWR is a tricky little bar hey, Johnno? I stood on the wall and watched it for 30mins or so till I was sure of the best approach to it - it was all good for me too :thumbup:

I have gone there all my life my grandfather had a fishing boat and used to head out of the back creek.also asked a locals questions on the Bars which help. I used to watch boats head out all the time but never done it myself.

I did sit and watch the sets and timed it well and it was sweet in a 5.0 tinnie.

I still remember the first time i went out over the Nambucca bar with a pro fisho,it was a 2mt sea and swell

running but we had to go out.We got out about halfway and he went from 3/4 throttle to idle (OMFG) and we where

just sitting there in amongst the froth.We copped two waves on the cabin and then he gunned it and by the

time we hit the last of the breakers it was only just swell. Personally i was shitting myself.LOL. It was a 8m

Platey with a Jet on the back.

Boys

Just a word of caution.............

i fish up at s.w. rocks a fair bit and that bar still puts the wind up me when i cross it

sure it can be fun, but bars do have a dark side

a couple of years ago i was unfortunate enough to carry out a rescue on a local dive boat that

turned over whilest crossing the last set on the bar. :thumbdown:

on pulling a young girl of about 12yrs old out of the water i will never forget the

fear she showed in her eyes that day. And has served as a reminder ever since

yea, with common sense in mind there is no problem most of the time

but if you come across what was shown on u tube for example unless

you are 100% confident with yourself and the boat give it a miss that day its not worth it

i dont want to sound like a party pooper it's just that i would much prefer to be out there fishing with you

Cheers Steve

yea, with common sense in mind there is no problem most of the time

but if you come across what was shown on u tube for example unless

you are 100% confident with yourself and the boat give it a miss that day its not worth it

i dont want to sound like a party pooper it's just that i would much prefer to be out there fishing with you

Cheers Steve

wise words indeed steve :thumbup: I found SWR to be one of the trickiest in my small amount of experience and it was relatively flat at the time - even so I still had two waves stand up in front of me, not to mention the kink in the channel that meant going out on an angle to the waves at the time. Talked to some locals at the tackleshop before launching and that is knowledge worth paying for!!

It definitely comes down to commonsense and if it looks to rough to go out, then it probably is, certainly not worth losing your boat (or worse) over. I don't do bar crossings for fun, the fun starts once you're safely outside :1fishing1:

Cheers

Holmesie

Edited by Holmesie

I am not a fan of bar crossing and will do anything to avoid going across them.

Even if you do get out the the return leg is playing on your mind alday worrying about the swell and the tide and i cant enjoy my fishin cause i am thinking out comeing back in over the bar

In that second video, wouldnt that bloke have been better off turning around and going back in, chilling out and then having a second bite when he had his mind together. I think that first wave after he got the motor going was a shocker! Very lucky!

Ive never done a bar crossing myself as a driver, but guess i will one day when i have a boat that is suitable.

Real Addiction - dont worry about the homeward bar crossing - dont let it spoil your fishing mate. If you make it out, the chances are youll get back in. And if its a bit rough around the edges when you do get back in, well, im sure you be able to work something out. If youve done your homework then you can do no more. Im a hypocrite, i have to tell you, because im the master of worrying about things that i know are on the horizon, and letting it spoil the moment. So yeah, i should listen to myself! I have to keep reminding myself to stay in the present... ;-)

Jeee- sus

First reaction - going too fast

Second reaction - Stupid bastards

Third reaction - lucky to be alive - both vids - but especially the 2nd one.

You get a Knock on the head & it doesn't matter if you are wearing a life jacket or not (and most don't .....)

IMHO - Not Worth the possible Consequences!

Cheerio

Roberta