Help On Choosing Flick Stick

Hi,

I want to try fishing with lures, any recommendations as to which combo I should buy?

I target Kingfish, tailor, bream, flathead, travs.

Fish from my boat and off the land.

Any advice will be appreciated

cheers

Mate there's a great kingie spinning rod in the for sale section of this forum at the moment. I spin with a G.loomis and they are bloody unreal. For the bream, flatties and trevs id recommend something a bit lighter....1-3kg for the bream and trevs and 2-4kg for the flatties.

If you have to comprimise i recommend a graphite 2-4kg fast taper around 6'6''long. Prices range from around $100 to infinity and beyond :wacko:

Best of luck.

Bobfish

i own a 6,6 2-4kg dropshot there aswum cant falut them at all and u can pick them up of 75 if u look around ive caught from whiting 2 small snapper(pinkies) on it never fell sacred with it and it taken a lot of bumbs and brusies hsant snapped have fun chooseing :1prop:

For Kingfish mate I reckon you'll want to be fishing 10lb and up (you hear of people landing them lighter but not right near structure) so a rod of 4-6kg would be sufficient.

For Tailor, Trevs, Bream and Flatties I'd go the 2-4kg stick. I use a 7"3' 2-4kg carbon fibre (makes it a lot easier to cast, cast further, one handed casting and feels great under a load compared to the graphite rods)

And for the bigger fish like Frigates, Salmon, Stripies and Kingies I use a 4-7kg 6''8' graphite and find it the perfect match for the fish being targetted.

IFS

The berkly dropshot series are great, i have 2 and cant fault them , easy on the pocket to!

I have 1 matched up to a symetre 2500 with 6lb fireline, have landed everything from baby yellowtail to legal kingys on it . For flicking lures i reckong about 7 foot is perfect , 2-4kg . (that is if you wanna have a bit of fun :1prop: )

Hi,

I want to try fishing with lures, any recommendations as to which combo I should buy?

I target Kingfish, tailor, bream, flathead, travs.

Fish from my boat and off the land.

Any advice will be appreciated

cheers

Mate, I agree that if you are looking for one of ther best rods available in this class....you can't miss

the Loomis GLX that Coollamon has in swap & sell at the moment.

This is a $750+ rod going for $500...a bargain for sure and it will last you a lifetime.

Here's the link to it:

Loomis GLX

Cheers.

Pete.

hi guys i have two shimano rack raiders, one 3-6Kg bait caster and one 3- 5Kg spin match with a stradic 2500 and curado 100B. i have found these two combos to be great and they can cover a wide varrity of fish and wont put a hole in your wallet. though all of the above post are correct and i think it really comes down to your budget, good luck in finding the right set up there are heaps of options out there

I have a rack raider combo as well and for the money ($200) they are hard to beat. Have caught 50cm salmon and tailor as well as some big flatties and bream. I recon they would handle some rat kings away from structure of course

BM

Mate you said you want a flick stick, so im assuming you will be targeting this list of species with lures, correct?

You cant go past a Shimano Stella Rod 6'6 2-4kg matched with a Shimano Sienna 2500 reel. The rod use to retail at around $110, but there was a huge clearance on them and i was picking them up for $50 a piece!! You can find the reel between $60-80. Mate they are great rods and CHEAP and i have caught hundreds upon hundreds of fish on this combo.

So for around $120, you will have yourself a top little flick stick that will catch ALL of the species which you have mentioned and more. Offcourse, you can spend the extra dollars and buy top quality gear, but from my experiences(i have both a $900 and a $120 spinning outfit, same rod length and reel size) there isnt that much difference between them in terms of catching and fighting fish.

This rod or something similar, (rack raiders are really good too), are great for the job and i have caught kingies, frigates, salmon, tailor, bonnies, i use it for bream tournaments, flatties, small tuna and dollies!

Be sure to add some fireline to the mix and you will have yourself an nice WEAPON.

DAN

i have a wilson live fibre lightning 6'6 2-4 kilo. . . matched with a shimano sahara

and 6 lbs fireline this rod and reel is a pleasure to fish with. have had no problems.

i would suggest this personally but i also no that a 2-4 kilo dropshot of bout 7' is a

beautiful rod also.

regards mark

Wow, thanks guys you sure have given me a heap of info, Thankyou

After reading your posts I have bought a rod reel combo on special

Ian Miller designed Shimano raider series 7'6" 2pice Finesse bream 2-4kg with a Shimano Sienna 2500FB cost me $140

Because I am straped for time and addicted to fishing I always keep a 2pce in the back of the seats in my ute, but the problem was finding a bait shop when I am close to water, I can't help it, I see water I must fish. (I call this impulse fishing).

This is my first flick stick, I like the idea of not having to purchase fresh/frozen bait.

I also have a 7ft ugly stick with a stradic 2500fh. I put the sienna on the ugly stick and I put the stradic with braid on the spool with 6lb FC Rock Fluorocarbon leader on the raider.

Thankyou once again for your help, any comments on my current set up would be appreciated

Finaly tested out my combo out on Tuesday night, I completed my last quotation in Woollooware at 6:30pm and had to be home by 7:30pm, so that the :wife: could go to the movies with her freinds.

To get to my place from Woollooware I have to cross over the captains cook bridge, so naturally It happened again, I cant help it but when I see water I must fish.

I had to stop and have a half hour fishing session under the bridge, parked the car, got out and froze my you know whats off. The wind was blowing, rain was comming down it was freezzzzzzing and nobody in sight.

My initial casts went only 4 to 5 meters but in about 10 min of practice I had it going about 20meters. I was using Burkley 3" power minnow with power scales, I Nailed Three Tailor's within 20min, they were all around the 30cm mark.

That's awsome!

That's what I call a good speed fish :thumbup:

Were they unweighted?

IFS

I usually fish about 2 to 3 times during weekdays in half hour to one hour sessions during the week in the early evening after work commintments. I guess it is speed fishing :074: . I actually was hunting for Bream and wasn't to happy in cating the Tailor as I have eaten enough of them of late, the fish were not weighed as they went back into the drink. The minnow was weighted with 1/24

I usually fish about 2 to 3 times during weekdays in half hour to one hour sessions during the week in the early evening after work commintments. I guess it is speed fishing :074: . I actually was hunting for Bream and wasn't to happy in cating the Tailor as I have eaten enough of them of late, the fish were not weighed as they went back into the drink. The minnow was weighted with 1/24

Daiwa Tierra,your looking about $150 if you look around, and they come in 4 or 5 different classes, iv got 2 of them, they look good and feel good, theres a matching reel, its a bit expensive, but if you go through alterntive routes you can get it for about 40% less, cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

people,

I picked up a playstick rod, 6 foot with fuji guides and cork handle (3-6 kilo) and a reel

called a LineWinder GF (Globe) Series GF1000 with 9 ball bearings.

The combo feels ultralight. I paid $ 80 bucks for the combo .

I have no idea, if i got good value for money or if i got ripped off , i walked up to the guy and said to him, im after a bream spinning reel and rod, and he matched this up for me.

Did i do ok or not ?

Mr RB

Daiwa Tierra,your looking about $150 if you look around, and they come in 4 or 5 different classes, iv got 2 of them, they look good and feel good, theres a matching reel, its a bit expensive, but if you go through alterntive routes you can get it for about 40% less, cheers.

Mate there's a great kingie spinning rod in the for sale section of this forum at the moment. I spin with a G.loomis and they are bloody unreal. For the bream, flatties and trevs id recommend something a bit lighter....1-3kg for the bream and trevs and 2-4kg for the flatties.

If you have to comprimise i recommend a graphite 2-4kg fast taper around 6'6''long. Prices range from around $100 to infinity and beyond :wacko:

Best of luck.

Bobfish

Bob how much would you say the cheapest infinity and beyond fast taper would cost with seniors discount, preferably with an infinity and beyond designer rod bag? :yahoo:

Best regards from your Ballina fishing partner :yahoo:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer