Carpeting The Boat

bolan

Okay Guys,

I have a problem (no, another one)

When I started rebuilding the cab of my boat, there was carpet lining the hull where the 2 beds are.-Along the "v" of the hull. I ripped it off because it looked shitty and now I want to replace it. The last carpet was "spray-glued" on so I figured that I could just wip on down to a carpet place and pick up a roll of something.

Well, all the carpet I have seen is too rigid to mould around the curves and bends.

Does anyone have a clue as to what I can do - or buy ?????

Cheers,

Stumpy

(Still Grumpy Stumpy)

There is stuff called front runner that shops use to cover shelves and car audio dudes use to cover sub boxes and stuff. Pretty cheap and comes in grey or black. Try a car audio installer if you only need a few metres.

Greg

Stumpy

Don't be grumpy as greg mentioned...........

front runner will do the trick my cabin was done in that way spray glued also

bends around every nook and cranny and look's a million $ although i seem

to recall it was marine grade........... upholster's carry it also i have been told.

Cheers Steve. :thumbup:

There is stuff called front runner that shops use to cover shelves and car audio dudes use to cover sub boxes and stuff. Pretty cheap and comes in grey or black. Try a car audio installer if you only need a few metres.

Greg

Comes in all colours if you want to contact M Simonson's, their in Victoria Rd Smithfield,don't know if they sell a small quanty but suppose they could recommend a reseller,maybe try Spotlight.

Regards Charlie

Stumpy,

We are almost neighbours, I'm about 11k from Berowra Waters.

As to your problem, I used to do that sort of thing for a living when I was a younger man. Custom car audio at a time when a CD in a car was something flash. How time flies by.

There are generally two types of carpet with some intermediates. The difference is not so much the material but rather the manner in which the back has been treated. What you need is the flexible type. It can actually be stretched to some extent but you will find that you still need to cut and join it if the shape is too extreme. If you do it properly, you'll barely notice the joins.

The glue whether sprayed or brushed on is the same. It is contact adhesive. The spray type is simply easier to apply but not really suitable for one off small jobs because of the clean up that is involved. If you don't already know, just make sure you apply to both surfaces and let them dry.

Now here's the trick. Once they are brought together, that's it, the carpet cannot be removed easily without destroying the bond. Do a dry fit up and note the easiest way to bring the surfaces together. With a V, I would start in the middle and work my way out to the edges.

As to suppliers, BIAS, Whitworths and Simonsons (wholesalers) will have what you need. By far the greatest variety will be at Simonsons but the other two will still have what you need.

If you need a hand, then take a trip over the ferry and I will give you a hand.

Cheers

Mitch

Thanks for the help Guys,

Sorry about not getting back to you but I had a rather large fight with a chainsaw and come off second best.

Yes, and hospital food still sucks!

Cheers

Stumpy

Thanks for the help Guys,

Sorry about not getting back to you but I had a rather large fight with a chainsaw and come off second best.

Yes, and hospital food still sucks!

Cheers

Stumpy

Sorry to hear you had some injuries.

I am sure the dedicated nursing staff looked after you :thumbup:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

If you need a hand, then take a trip over the ferry and I will give you a hand.

Hey Stumpy,

Maybe you should take Boban up on his offer :074::074:

Seriously, I hope that all went well in the hospital and you have a speedy recovery

Evets