Facts And Tips On Barometric Pressure And Fishing Results

jewgaffer

Barometer 1020, fish are plenty.

strike me lucky big-banana are they aplenty right now in this ongoer of a southerly influence even tho she jumped up real good to 1020mb? :(

didn't get a post back to humesy that jewies fire up in quick southerly changes but only when it builds more blowy.

remember years ago in summer when the atmosphere was thriving. you could rely on a southerly for relief almost every afternoon then back to normal the following morning, just a little cooler with the bait being active again and better general fishing.

steady southerlys day upon day makes it challenging. baitfish huddle under jetties and they tighten up when big southerlys settles. it is a good time to thro a c/net in the tweed and shoot off back down to ballina to put somthing rare on the jewie menu but in real deep

that is when deep sea is a bonanza and trawlers take a lot of risk but it can be up to putty for fishing at big southerly times but blackfish seem to fire ok. maybe due to their close in habits and churned up vegetation?

thanks

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the link from the Manly Hydraulic Centre.

http://www.mhl.nsw.gov.au/www/mhl_baro.htmlx

Cheers Stewy

If you go to the top of our forum page you will see a button TIDES

Click there and then click on DATA ONLINE

You will see a list of environmental data programs and BAROMETRIC PRESSURE is one of them.

Direct link CLICK HERE

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

does any one know of a online barometer

hi CaineS, i'm not sure whether or not you are seeking to buy a barometer. if you are, go into google u.s. and do a search on moore clocks.

they carry canadian made trintec barometers and tide clocks and take it from me the looks and the quality of these instruments is really awesome and being from the u.s. they are excellent value. they don't have the usual cigar smoking importers and distributors in white suits and panama hats over there

i replaced my old set with the trintec marine model. the set cost me $80 u.s. and $30 u.s for express airmail

these are sealed units made for harsh marine conditions. they can be permanantly mounted out in the open on any boat and no need to mount them inside a cabin which is a must for brass barometers.

the barometer has a red manually adjustable hand which can be aligned with the pressure indicator hand and as the pressure fluctuates the red hand remains fixed to allow you to see the exact degree of fluctuation as the pressure actually fluctuates. that is what it you you need to see to work any barometer properly and then record your results over time, and by elimination ascertain the prime times to go fishing. then bingo that's one factor you can truly rely on.

the tide clock is also excellent and very classy you'll never need a tide chart again. the trintec tide clock gives you a time clock a well.

so if you take an impatient doubter with you, you simply turn the hand backwards and set the time clock 3 hours slow.

all you have to do is set it once only and at the exact time of high tide on a full moon or a new moon . but to check the accuracy with certain new moons simply check and ajust minimally if applicable at the exact time of high tide on the very day of the next Xnew moonX cripes that's a no brainer i just edited it to next !! FULL MOON !!

hope this helps

cheers

jewgaffer

fish on

struth it's 5.30 am fished all night at captain cook with taren point julius and fisherraider thereddragon ( nice little haines hunter that one and a good boatie too) and we..............wow and we............................................................ :1yikes: and we ran out of livies

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi Jewgaffer

From memory, you also need to 'set' your barometer (once you receive it) to your local sea level readings, not just rely on the level that it is showing when purchased - if made in Germany, it may be set to German weather levels (or wherever ...), which could well be very different from ours. In the old days, folk would take them to the Post Office & would get the official 'reading' & then go from there.

Interesting to note that they do recommend tapping the glass to make sure there is no internal sticking of the mechanism.

Here is a good site to read up on it

http://www.bom.gov.au/info/aneroid/aneroid.shtml

Take note of the 'Adjusting Your Barometer' section! The whole bit is quite interesting, tho!

Cheerio

Roberta

PS some folk check theirs for accuracy every year or so.

Edited by Roberta

Hi Jewgaffer

From memory, you also need to 'set' your barometer (once you receive it) to your local sea level readings, not just rely on the level that it is showing when purchased - if made in Germany, it may be set to German weather levels (or wherever ...), which could well be very different from ours. In the old days, folk would take them to the Post Office & would get the official 'reading' & then go from there.

Interesting to note that they do recommend tapping the glass to make sure there is no internal sticking of the mechanism.

Here is a good site to read up on it

http://www.bom.gov.au/info/aneroid/aneroid.shtml

Take note of the 'Adjusting Your Barometer' section! The whole bit is quite interesting, tho!

Cheerio

Roberta

good thanks roberta and your post does address a very important issue that i did not address.

as you say, it is indeed important to adjust every barometer to allow for higher altitudes than sea level based on sea level settings .

i believe you are saying, get a local figure then adjustment it or noting the difference when you go fishing etc at sea level and you are quite right

although canadian made, my barometer has been set to a coastal setting in south carolina and living above sea level and travelling a lot i left it at that setting after finding that it was reading near enough to 10 milibars lower than my son's 4wd pajero which comes standard with a digital barometer adjusted to sea level for our sea level.

someone asked me one day on the boat and i thought fast borrowing my straightened out circles back from an unidentifiable urchin and just said the sea levels differ coz the world is round. he was a 12 year old looking a little like my old friend alfred e neuman and said well why doesn't the water pour down on us ?

it turned out that everytime my son used his pajero when we went to the coast to fish, the pajero's barometer was still reading 10 milibars higher although the car and my boat's reading had varied in unison from what they were at home

so rather than start loosening the tiny spring loaded brass screw and rather than taking the risk that the spring might loosen and bounce around and put the barometer out of adjustment when using my own older 4wd to tow the boat on 4wd roads, i decided to leave it at the 10milibars lower and add 10milibars to it at sea level to get the right reading,

having double checked the barometic fluctuations i was checking for would still pro rate at the same ratio above and below the previous reading indicated by the the position of the manually adjusted red hand i was satisfied leaving it as it was for s.c.

regards

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer