Tuna

Kiwi Dan

Hello raiders,

Just having a quick discussion with my mate about the Tuna being caught especially old mates massive 80kg fish in the reports section.

I was wondering what do you do with that much Tuna? We are looking to go out on a charter somewhere sometime this year and wondered what everyone else does with it all. Do you line up sushi bars or restraunts and sell it to them? Or do the Charter operators have deals with the fish markets?

I only take what im gonna eat, but just wondered what others did when they catch 3 or 4 of em.

cheers

kiwi dan

Mate normally if we catch say 3 x 30kg specimens we will keep 1 and release the other 2.....even 1 at 30kg will provide enough steaks for 4-5 families......

If i caught one the size of Iains it would be getting moulded straight away.......

Dan....you also gotta remember that it takes around an hour to clean and steak a yft over 30kg....

Guest Big-Banana

If i caught one the size of Iains it would be getting moulded straight away.......

I was speaking to a taxidermist on the South Coast and he said they only keep the head and the rest is moulded.

We got a 40 odd kilo tuna and we were in tuna for 2 weeks. Great feed and beautiful cold. None of it gets wasted at my place.

Cleaning them isn't a big issue, just patience and sharp fillet knife.

Just a note, I've never seen a tuna released and you'll find most boats get carried away and keep all their catch.

Edited by Big-Banana

Kiwi Dan- As far as I'm aware mate it's illegal for any recreational fisherman to sell any part of his catch...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong..

I just think it wouldn't be a very nice conversation to have with the authorities if you were to get caught.

Cheers

Tony

Yeap mate the 80kg one is going to be moulded and then put on Filipe wall next to his nice dolly mould that he already has.

I hope he has a big wall. :1prop::1prop:

I am not a huge fish eater so i only keep trophy fish and maby a small one if i can be bothered cleaning it cause i have a few friends that love it.

The best way that i have tasted Yellowfin is smoked. It's hard to beat

I was speaking to a taxidermist on the South Coast and he said they only keep the head and the rest is moulded.

We got a 40 odd kilo tuna and we were in tuna for 2 weeks. Great feed and beautiful cold. None of it gets wasted at my place.

Cleaning them isn't a big issue, just patience and sharp fillet knife.

Just a note, I've never seen a tuna released and you'll find most boats get carried away and keep all their catch.

Joe is that you.

I only know one "Big Banana" who lives at Kellyville and used to operate a backhoe and excavator.

It's me, Mitch

Just noticed that you signed off "Anthony". I asssume its the very same Anthony who fished with us up at Hawks Nest a few years ago. The Big Banana may very well be the Little Big Banana.

Edited by Boban

Kiwi Dan

What ever y/fin i catch on sunday I will be tossing back in the water

its got to be an aquired taste as far as i'm concerned........

ive tried it Raw, Marinated, smoked, in curries,Soaked in soya sauce

Flipped on the BBQ , as fish cakes, I even had shark's come and turn

it's nose up at it..................Have i left any thing out.

Maybe the cat but i have't got one of them.......

So there you go dan......... they all go back sporting a new bit of plastic.

All i have to do is convince who ever's out fishing the day with me

the same........ :thumbdown: .Cheers Warnie