Reds & Flatties At Dee Why Wide

saltrix

post-3961-1184569366_thumb.jpgCouldn't get any company for this morning so went out on my own as the forecast doesnt look good for the rest of the week.

The westerly was blowing a bit hard, probably about 12-15 knots, quite safe but a bit bumpy but I believed the forecast that it would ease later in the morning, which it did just in time to give me a dry ride home at about 10.30am.

I drifted with the sea anchor, and it certainly was useful, one time when it did not deploy correctly I couldnt get bottom, but with it working the drift was OK.

I probably would have done better if I had moored up and burleyed but getting the anchor up on my own in the chop is sometimes a bit hard even with my bouy.

For bait I had pillies and about 10 large hawksbury prawns which cost me $30 a kilo so I only take a few each time but they were they no. 1 bait. Got 2 of the 3 reds on them and one of the flathead.

No whales today but there were so many whitecaps I probably would have missed them.

Attached is a picture of one that came up beside the boat last year to the day :1yikes: . It was a unique experiance, he had been broaching near my boat and I had taken some photos and had the camera in my hand when he came slowly right up out of the water and looked me in the eye.

post-3961-1184569707_thumb.jpg

Edited by saltrix

Hi saltrix,

I saw your post last night, but i was too late with my reply. After seeing your report, maybe i should have cancelled what i had on and headed out with you. good to see you getting on to those reds. They seem like a decent size and i bet they would have fought pretty hard before you boated them.

good report and even better to see people out there in this weather.

JayKay

Hi saltrix,

I saw your post last night, but i was too late with my reply. After seeing your report, maybe i should have cancelled what i had on and headed out with you. good to see you getting on to those reds. They seem like a decent size and i bet they would have fought pretty hard before you boated them.

good report and even better to see people out there in this weather.

JayKay

It would be nice to have some company, but i realise I have retired and people have to work.

I have a fishing mate but he cant always make it on the few days the weather suits.

Fishing from a small boat (5.2m) out at sea does not suit everyone and after reading some of the posts by other members I am now aware that some fisherman who reply may not realise what it is like.

The snapper did give me a bit of a run but with the new braided lines and a good rod they dont have much of a chance. That is good in a way because the undersized can be released quickly without damage.

Thanks for your reply.

Nice bag of fish there!

Seeing one of those big creatures really gets the adrenaline going, i remember once i was driving and full throttle and a whale decided to jump (or do whatever it is that they do :wacko: ) 40-50m in front of me..freaky shiit!

DAN