Sydney Locations - Landbase

lil_lyly

Hi, I've been reading some of these reports but I'm having trouble finding fishing spots around the sydney area (preferrly the southern side of sydney ie: botany, cronulla, georges river).

I'm after some landbase places as i dont have a boat. I don't have any fishes that i'm chasing, just somewhere where i can fish for fun.

I love fishing now, go every weekend when the weather is good, but I'm running out of places to go. I've tried Guttamutta Bay, Tom Ugly's, Captain cook bridge, oatley but would like to try some new better spots.

If anyone could help me, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Hi, I've been reading some of these reports but I'm having trouble finding fishing spots around the sydney area (preferrly the southern side of sydney ie: botany, cronulla, georges river).

I'm after some landbase places as i dont have a boat. I don't have any fishes that i'm chasing, just somewhere where i can fish for fun.

I love fishing now, go every weekend when the weather is good, but I'm running out of places to go. I've tried Guttamutta Bay, Tom Ugly's, Captain cook bridge, oatley but would like to try some new better spots.

Container wall goes off...watch out for snags though. Anywhere there is salt water in the bay should be able to get you some fish though. You just have to fish for the right species depending on where you are.

Welcome mate.

Firstly, my recommendation is to focus on a spot, figure out what could be there (watch others, ask questions and so on), and then make a plan. I find my fishing works much better if I persist with a spot during different tides, moon winds, temperature and other conditions, keep a diary and look at what works. Every spot is a good spot if you understand what works. Unfortunately there are no real short cuts, but the guys on this site are knowledgeable and helpful and will have some pointers down on south side. I've been fishing for more than 40 years and still learn something new every time I go.

Goold Luck. Cheers

Thanks for that. I've read about the Container walls but not sure where they are. I head theres some around botany bay but not exactly sure what it is or where it is.

is there landbase places around botany bay that you can fish from or are that areas off limit?

I've been reading beach fishing lately and is something i would like to try. Would it be a problem if i have a 6" rode?? is that too short for beach fishing and is it hard?

I've read about gutters and white wash areas but don't really know what it is i should be looking for.

Hi,

I agree with Neilm totally in regards to –

“I find my fishing works much better if I persist with a spot during different tides, moon winds, temperature and other conditions, keep a diary and look at what works”

I have posted my trade secret on the topic “Gladesville/huntershill/lanecove?” about 3 weeks ago(have a look and I think that can help you out a bit). I mainly fish those two spots and I catch quality bream 99.9% of the time. I’ve fished those two spots more than 10 yrs, so I know exactly where and when.

Cheers

Also forgot to ask about the parramatta river side. I heard that is polluted and stuff and that you can't keep the fishes you catch from there. Is it true?? thats why i don't go and fish that end as i'm not sure if its safe to fish from that water way.

I'd be wary of the container wall. It's made up of cylindrical concrete blocks and there are large gaps between them. you have to clamber down a fair way to get to the water. You wouldn't catch me there.

The ocean rocks and beaches are the best bet for a feed when fishing landbased. The rocks can be dangerous also. You could give Wanda Beach a try - I usually come home with something from there.

hey hows it going?

i fish the parra river and lane cove areas too as it is my local get away down the road. i am land based most of the time. yeah there are some good fish down there but i always catch and release only.....

good luck

bring back the summer. :1fishing1:

Thanks for that. I've read about the Container walls but not sure where they are. I head theres some around botany bay but not exactly sure what it is or where it is.

is there landbase places around botany bay that you can fish from or are that areas off limit?

I've been reading beach fishing lately and is something i would like to try. Would it be a problem if i have a 6" rode?? is that too short for beach fishing and is it hard?

I've read about gutters and white wash areas but don't really know what it is i should be looking for.

forget beach fishing with a 6 ft rod unless there is no surf..... that said i spin salmon and tailor on small metal lures on my 6'6 rod but that is annoying off the beach....

if you are serious get a 12 ft light beach rod... otherwise i would fish the areas you mentioned in your post, but concentrate on your fishing... results will come...

fish more.... fish weekdays.... fish early.... or late.... experiment... watch others...especially the quiet old fellas who will give you tips... the only way to find out when a place will fish well is to fish it in all conditions and tides and over some time you might be able to work em out... join a fishing club

gl and hope to see your results up here soon

stick with it for a while and you will be surprised i guarantee.... the fresh at the moment + winter has slowed the estuaries right down but things will be better soon

:1fishing1:

Thanks for your help. Yeh i can see that you can learn alot once you keep at it and you can figure out what it is need to catch those fishes.

Just one thing. I usually fish with prawns but i can't seem to rig them on to stay on properly. Sometimes i would cast and it wouldn't land in the right place so i reel it back in and see that my baits gone.

I've rig it in by starting from the tail of the prawn and following it through to the part just before the head and i've tried rigging it on like a piece of big bait how you go through the bait come out and go back in.

Is there any other way of putting on bait so its stays on strong?

Also i tried using a rubber lure on the weekend but didn't have any luck. Casted it out and reel it in abit and stop then about 2mins reel it in again. Didn't even feel any bites. Would it not work on small - medium fishes? such as breams and whitings? or am i just doing it wrong?

Thanks for your help. Yeh i can see that you can learn alot once you keep at it and you can figure out what it is need to catch those fishes.

Just one thing. I usually fish with prawns but i can't seem to rig them on to stay on properly. Sometimes i would cast and it wouldn't land in the right place so i reel it back in and see that my baits gone.

I've rig it in by starting from the tail of the prawn and following it through to the part just before the head and i've tried rigging it on like a piece of big bait how you go through the bait come out and go back in.

Is there any other way of putting on bait so its stays on strong?

Also i tried using a rubber lure on the weekend but didn't have any luck. Casted it out and reel it in abit and stop then about 2mins reel it in again. Didn't even feel any bites. Would it not work on small - medium fishes? such as breams and whitings? or am i just doing it wrong?

The first method you mentioned is the right way to put a prawn on. To make it more secure try making a half hitch in the line and pulling it tight over the tail.

With soft plastics bream are only interested in very small lures. You might have a bit of trouble casting these from the shore.

Flathead are suckers for larger soft plastics but they are a bit quiet at this time of year. The way to work soft plastics for them is to let them sink to the bottom and then give them a couple of long sharp whips with your rod and then allow a few seconds for them to sink to the bottom again. Often the will hit the lure on the sink.

Well mate it depends on a few things your bait, hook size and what fish you are targeting etc. For starters if your fishing landbased in estuaries or in Port hacking syd harbour etc in bays. Prawns are a great bait for things like Bream small snapper. I find I like using suicide hooks size 2.0 as you said insert the hook from tailfeed the prawn on in the direction of the hookand when the eye of the hook is near the prawn tail let the point of the hook peirce through between the prawns legs exposing it. Some people use long shank hooks it comes down to personal preference really. Also I usually squeeze the head onto the prawn body and through the head in as a bit of berley. Squeezing the head puts all the guts on and acts like a bit of berley itself when it hits the water. Depending on where your fishing if targetting bream it's generally better using little or no weight at all. If you have to cast a bit out use a tiny sinker. I don't use weight at all but make sure your line is straight as your bait can be taken without you noticing.

In regards to soft plastics if your flicking for flathead you don't usually get bites as the flathead will swallow it whole. from my experience runout tide is usually the best added with morning or afternoon best times. As for your action when retrieving them I generally let the SP fall to the bottom and jerk the rod with my wrist once or twice in succession quickly but let the SP fall to the bottomand sit for a couple of seconds. Flatties usually always take them when the sink as you'll find your next jerk will have a weight on the other end (Hopefully a fish not a snag) every time you jerk the line wind up the slack before your next one. mix it up a bit but that is something to try out. Drop offs are great for flathead river mouths the edge of weed beds anywhere small fish would hold flatties wait in ambush.

good luck use the web if you need to search on baiting hook techniques but as the guys said persist or if your not having luck try somewhere else. If you see someone else in a spot give that a try the next day if your spots aren't producing.

Cheers,

Joe

:1welcomeani: lil4civ

I've been having a bit of the same problems as you mentioned in the first post. I'm still looking for new spots aswell and I've tried what you mentioned with the odd decent hook up here and there. I'm thinking the best idea would be to try a variation of bait too, not just prawns. Some days one form of bait will produce fish, other days another, but again, depends on the fish your targetting also. Each fish has its own preference. :beersmile:

Thanks for all your help. Still trying to find new places to fish from as once you catch one size of fish you want to go for bigger ones.

Been going everyone weekend now. Can't seem to get enough of fishing. Was going to go for a road trip this weekend but didn't know any safe, good places to fish so just gonna stick with the local area.

If anyone knows any places from Wollongong to The Entrance that are good and not off the beach (as i don't want to get my feet wet yet, but will in summer) it would be great to know. Thanks in advance.

The entrance has some good fishing . If you have seen it in summer you would wonder how any fish survive with shoulder to shoulder anglers, for a fish to make it from the entrance to the bridge they would have to be gymnists with the amount of lines in the water. But it's a great water system last time I fished there was in January I don't know it too well but whilst trying to get away from the million anglers I was keen to flick a couple of soft plastics I could see flathead swimming past the promenade people were casting (including me prawns, lures and everything but eskies at them to try get one but they wouldn't take a thing. Firstly I couldn't believe the sight itself of around twenty flathead swimming in a group as if they were prelagic fish. I don't know if anyone has seen flathead swimming in a school before it spun me out a bit. However they weren't taking anything just cruising up and down so I gave up and went to the only place near there that had a bit of privacy. I went under the south side of the bridge and (did get my feet wet waided out a few metres only up to my knees as I saw a school of bait fish in the shadows from the bridge as it was midday over near the small bait shop/boat hire place. Sure enough there was a drop off where the small fish were so I cast my softplastic blackgold 80mm Squigie over the back of them and retrieved it through slowly and was on. Ended up getting about six flathead. One keeper and threw the rest back as they were undersized but was great fun.

Ask someone for directions to the boat ramp near there on the right up about fifty metres or so there is a small channel and I got a few flatties undersized from there another time. Also a mate from work at night got a 68cm flattie from near the boat ramp once. I've only fished there a few times but in summer but anywhere along between the bridge to the ramp there is a big rock wall and I've seen alot of people blackfish from there as well. So I don't know how it fishes in winter but give it a go if your in the area. If I can get a chance I may get out for a fish myself. Also make sure you have your fishing License on you as they are pretty tough on you there. I'm sure there is a million better places but I've caught a couple from there so you may have some luck.

Cheers,

Joe

i live up here and the entrance fished better last summer than it has in 6 years.....

BUT the flooding we had has opened the mouth so wide that no-one is sure what will happen this year...

i pulled a stack of flattys out of there last year and as chocofallon said it is hard to believe fish survive with the angling pressure....

most of the tourists fish big sinkers packet prawns and big hooks and are disapointed...

In peak times i go home before 9..... 5 am starts are the go cause the tailor come on for 10 or 15 minutes in the morning...

Unless you can get poddy mullet up here, plastics are the go for flattys....

Is the entrance social in january?/

the flattys have copped a flogging by then...

4 of my best 5 fish got caught in november...

i take no hooks or sinkers when the flathead are around , that way you can't get distracted into bait fishing...

if you want to catch multiple fish you need to cast a lot.....i've always found that in a 6 hr session...most of my fish will come in a 20 minute window, with a sprinkling of fish the rest of the time...

find somewhere close to home lil4civ and fish regularly ...like 3/4/5/6 times a week... that is the only way to fast track your knowledge, or convince someone who knows the spot/species to help you