25th July Perfect Winters Day

gone_wishin

What a great winters day it was, not too cold virtually no wind and the Harbour looked clean and clear.

We arrived at Tunks Park at 5:15am to find the ramp blocked by a small mountain of soil and large back hoe.....What the!!!, but there was a temporary (very narrow) ramp to the right of the original. So in the dark we launch hoping not to hit anything.

We started chasing squid at the spit bridge where we got 1 squid and small cuttle, lesson No1 cuttle fish hold about 10x more ink than squid, after 15min of cleaning the inside of the boat we continue for zip. I saw a Noble super V heading which I was sure was Kelvin, his is blue with a Honda?

We move to south head in search of more squid and catch another which went 40cm, whilst at South Head we notice the ocean is dead flat, so Gordo starts with I know a spot that I guarantee we will catch fish blah blah blah. So to keep him quiet we head offshore, there were no promised Flatties around but we did get a 42cm snapper, 5 sweep and mix of rubbish reef fish.

It's now 11am and we decided to go back to original plan of chasing kingies in MH, we get to Fishraider spot X (I tell ya this web site owns MH) out goes the smaller squid and the cuttle, the suns out, no wind, no other boats around we were in heaven, then a demon of the deep hits the cuttle and tries to take it hell, ten minutes later a 75cm King is in the boat.

post-2158-1185411033_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the photo quality I'm a bit embarassed as I work for major camera manufacter, I have half a dozen digital cameras at home and the only camera I had with me was in my mobile.

Anyway we had a great day and ended up with a 75cm King, 42cm snapper 5 sweep (pet food) 45cm flattie 2 squid and a cuttle.

Hell of a nice king mate.

Did you go yesterday?

I went for a squid session last night, launched at 7pm and got back at 10.30. The ramp was all clear now, the dodgey steep ramp is still open but the main side is up and going again.

Cheers

dan

Thanks Frank,

We were drifting ((left the downrigger at home) on purpose) but we were hardly moving, we rigged up same as in the DVD Kingfish Secrets. Two hook rig, small sinker dropped to bottom then wound up about 15 feet.

As for the picture, it might look ok but you can really tell the difference between a 1.3 megapixel camera phone and 16.7 megapixel real camera.

I'm guessing the little ramp is actually the one the barge is supposed to be using!!! What is going on down there?? All that blue metal and rubish and yet if you park your trailer in the wrong way you get a fine. bloody hyprocracy as it is one of the only steep ramps in Syd that makes for an easy protected launch.

Sounds like a top day mate, well done :thumbup:

You would be more game than me to bring a 16 on the boat :biggrin2:

Cheers.

Robbie.

Pelican,

I believe they are exending the ramp, although it is a good ramp it is pretty crappy at low tide with a big drop at the end and a big hole on the left hand side. I have helped heaps of people retreive trailers from the end of that ramp.

I was talking to my brother yesterday (he walks his dog there every day) he reckons we could not launch from the temp ramp :thumbdown:

Cheers.

Robbie.

"Sorry for the photo quality I'm a bit embarassed as I work for major camera manufacter, I have half a dozen digital cameras at home and the only camera I had with me was in my mobile."

That made me laugh! :Funny-Post::biggrin2:

Billy

I'm guessing the little ramp is actually the one the barge is supposed to be using!!! What is going on down there?? All that blue metal and rubish and yet if you park your trailer in the wrong way you get a fine. bloody hyprocracy as it is one of the only steep ramps in Syd that makes for an easy protected launch.

Is there a fine for not parking the right way?

Dam i never new that, i take it its a reverse park. When i put my boat in and get things sorted and i take mates who cant reverse i always tell them just drive it in front first and ill reverse when we get back.

wont be doing that again.

cheers

dan

Hmmmmmmmmmm

I was standing on a roof today looking at the harbour thinking :mad3: , Im working, but great to hear you were out there enjoying it gone_wishing :thumbup: ... Top effort a 42cm RED and a kingy as well! :yahoo:

D&G

PS........ To all those enquring about Tunks park and the parking, ie which way to park your trailer and car, it doesnt matter. Ive spoken to the rangers and council workers there... and refer to Dano'1s post 3-4mths back

What a great winters day it was, not too cold virtually no wind and the Harbour looked clean and clear.

We arrived at Tunks Park at 5:15am to find the ramp blocked by a small mountain of soil and large back hoe.....What the!!!, but there was a temporary (very narrow) ramp to the right of the original. So in the dark we launch hoping not to hit anything.

We started chasing squid at the spit bridge where we got 1 squid and small cuttle, lesson No1 cuttle fish hold about 10x more ink than squid, after 15min of cleaning the inside of the boat we continue for zip. I saw a Noble super V heading which I was sure was Kelvin, his is blue with a Honda?

We move to south head in search of more squid and catch another which went 40cm, whilst at South Head we notice the ocean is dead flat, so Gordo starts with I know a spot that I guarantee we will catch fish blah blah blah. So to keep him quiet we head offshore, there were no promised Flatties around but we did get a 42cm snapper, 5 sweep and mix of rubbish reef fish.

It's now 11am and we decided to go back to original plan of chasing kingies in MH, we get to Fishraider spot X (I tell ya this web site owns MH) out goes the smaller squid and the cuttle, the suns out, no wind, no other boats around we were in heaven, then a demon of the deep hits the cuttle and tries to take it hell, ten minutes later a 75cm King is in the boat.

post-2158-1185411033_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the photo quality I'm a bit embarassed as I work for major camera manufacter, I have half a dozen digital cameras at home and the only camera I had with me was in my mobile.

Anyway we had a great day and ended up with a 75cm King, 42cm snapper 5 sweep (pet food) 45cm flattie 2 squid and a cuttle.

so does this mean huge discount on digatial camera's for fish raiders :yahoo:

cheers

bob

Sounds like a top day mate, well done :thumbup:

You would be more game than me to bring a 16 on the boat :biggrin2:

Cheers.

Robbie.

Pelican,

I believe they are exending the ramp, although it is a good ramp it is pretty crappy at low tide with a big drop at the end and a big hole on the left hand side. I have helped heaps of people retreive trailers from the end of that ramp.

I was talking to my brother yesterday (he walks his dog there every day) he reckons we could not launch from the temp ramp :thumbdown:

Cheers.

Robbie.

Walking there yesterday and they have finishes the ramp extension. I haven't seen it at low tide yet but a bloke reckons they filled the hole put in some decent metal supports and extended the ramp. There was no blue metal or materials bar some pre-formed cement there left. We used to hang the wheels of the trailer over the edge on lower tides so i hope it's better. The bloke said that it looks like they kept the same slope so that'll be good.

Can't believe a council actually doing something for water access- don't tell the residents though.

As for parking can you link to the post. I know people who have been fined.

Pel