Narrabeen Lakes

Divey

Hi All,

I was going to fish the high tide for Blackfish at Mona Vale today and I was a little amazed at the swell that had decided to move in during the last two days. The waves coming over the platform would have made it quite dangerous just attempting to get some cabbage and weed for bait.

So, later on in the morning, I gave Luderick59 (Peter) a call and we decided that we would target Narrabeen Lakes again after the very successful fishing afternoons had by Peter and Roberta last weekend.

I went down to Mona Vale at 1.30pm to get some bait and I was able to get some cabbage and weed for Narrabeen.

Met up with Peter at 2pm and began fishing. There was not much happening for the first half hour and things started to fire up. On two occasions, Peter and myself had hookups at the same time which would have looked great from the shoreline. We had a great time and finished at about 4.40pm.

I was very impressed by the size of the Blackies that are coming from the lake. Anyway, I forgot to measure the largest fish, but, you can see a 300ml steel ruler in the photograph.

post-5090-1185869141_thumb.jpg

They're fat little buggers eh!

post-5090-1185869033_thumb.jpg

Ready for the fridge.

We tend to prepare our blackfish like this and then either tomorrow or the next day fillet and skin them.

Good Luck and regards,

Lindsay.

Very nice guys, good looking healthy fish. Most of the blackies seem to have gone inside to spawn as i'm getting a lot of smelted up and roed up fish now, those on the rocks seem to be bigger but a lot thinner in numbers.

BTW do you clean the black lining out straight away? I find if you leave it in them you get that sick iodine taste! Oh and a trick the old boys taught me if you want a ballistic session chop some aniseed up and stick it in your burley, just don't eat them as it goes through the flesh i'm told, apparently the blackies go nuts over it. We used to do it in the Georges when we fancied a catch and release day!

Cheers

LA

luderick -angler,

There are a group of blokes around the Mona Vale area that tend to do the same thing with their fish as I have previously explained.

The photograph of the fish ready for the refrigerator are exactly that, unscaled. We don't do anymore. As I said, the next day or the day after that we fillet and skin them. After you fillet the fish we slice out the rib cage with a really sharp knife taking the black lining with it.

You will notice that the fillets are so much easier to skin with the scales on rather than a scaled fillet.

I can remember years ago my mother mentioning something about iodine flavour in whiting fillets and blackfish fillets. You know what I reckon......it's an old fisherman's wifes tale.

Regards,

Lindsay.

:1prop: yeh mate tryed yesterday at whale beach and the swell was quit bi from the south bit dangerous at the moment but will get better towards the weekend.,but anyway well donme and happy feed

cheers fisho fantastico

Hi Lindsay

:1welcomeani::1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to Fishraider ....... as you will have guessed by now - we are fishing fanatics.....especially us blackie fisheres!!!!! I was sooooo tired by Sunday, I was almost pleased when the wash was a bit 'strong' over the rocks at Mona Vale on Sunday morning when I met up with Pete again!!!!

Great looking fish - at least 4 of them were at least 30-35cm I reckon! Really fat & big bellies - just like the ones we were getting on Fri/Sat.

Look forward to hooking up with you & Peter next time I am in Sydney!@

Cheerio

Roberta

PS I used aniseed once in NZ when fishing (& felt guilty doing it......) but it didn't work any better worse than before .... haven't tried it here yet!!

Hi Roberta,

About three years ago when I first started fishing with Peter and a few other very experienced blackfish fishermen at Mona Vale, I very sneakily bought a bottle of that very special ingredient, 'Aniseed oil'. You know what? It's only good for refreshing your goodies pack after a pelican shits on it. And let me tell you, if your hang your gear on the pole at Mona Vale Swimming Pool, it's only a matter of time.

Regards,

Lindsay.