Bom Launches New Oceanography Site With Temps/currents And More

mrmoshe

The BOM has today launched a new website dedicated to Oceanography Australia wide called BlueLink.

It's a joint project by BOM, Australian Navy and CSIRO who have developed this system (see below for some history)

It shows temps and currents and a whole lot of other data...updated daily.

Clickable areas all over Australia are available.

There's even an animation of the temp changes moving....Excellent resource and it's FREE!!!!

Here's the link...Bookmark it!!.

We may even get a button up top next to Seabreeze.

BOM BlueLink

Here's NSW waters:

NSW Waters

There was a small column in today's Manly Daily with it mentioned and checked it out...Not bad for a freebie eh?

Enjoy and cheers,

Pete.

History of BlueLink:

The BLUElink Project

The Australian Government, through the Commonwealth Bureau of Meteorology, Royal Australian Navy and CSIRO has initiated BLUElink> Ocean forecasting Australia, a $15m project to deliver ocean forecasts for the Australian region.

Ocean Forecasting

The BLUElink forecasts » provide information on coastal and ocean currents and eddies, surface and subsurface ocean properties, that impact and are linked to maritime and commercial operations, defence applications, safety-at-sea, ecological sustainability, regional and global climate.

On our Forecast site, users may view Sea Surface Temperature, Sea Surface Salinity, and Sea Level Anomaly forecasts, as well as Sea Surface Temperature and Sea Level Anomaly with a current overlay. Ocean regions encompassing Australia's waters are represented, providing a vital service.

Edited by MallacootaPete

The BOM has today launched a new website dedicated to Oceanography Australia wide.

It shows temps and currents and a whole lot of other data...updated daily.

Clickable areas all over Australia are available.

There's even an animation of the temp changes moving....Excellent resource and it's FREE!!!!

Here's the link...Bookmark it!!.

We may even get a button up top next to Seabreeze.

BOM BlueLink

Here's NSW waters:

NSW Waters

There was a small column in today's Manly Daily with it mentioned and checked it out...Not bad for a freebie eh?

Enjoy and cheers,

Pete.

Pete you are a ledgend!!!!!!!

I used a different sea surface temperature website (who will remain nameless Cough!) Last weekend and after paying my money i clicked on a map that wasn't the newest available (mind you was only 12 hours old but looked like it had alot better coverage of the area we required) and then realised that that was the only one i could look at even though i paid $15. I studied the map and ploted gps points for over an hour and then we went out about 4 hours later and the water that was around didn't resemble in any way shape or form what the satelights had prescribed...... This is partly my fault as i chose the a slightly older map but only being able to look at one of them for the money i paid was what i had my biggest gripe with!!!!!

Go the bom site!!!!!

Here's a blurb in today's SMH on BlueLink

Pete.

Ships' latest helpers: a fleet of robots

A FLEET of underwater robots has made it possible to forecast oceanic movements up to seven days ahead, much as weather balloons monitor the atmosphere.

The Bureau of Meteorology system BLUElink, introduced yesterday, uses satellites and Argo robots to monitor temperatures, sea levels and salinity to provide a near real-time peek into the waters around the country.

Nearly 3000 of the robots will regularly dive two kilometres from sea level to collect data.

Coupled with satellite information and interpreted by one of the nation's most powerful computing systems, BLUElink promises to assist maritime safety agencies, the defence forces, merchant ships and tourists, said John Gunn, the acting director of the CSIRO's Wealth from Oceans Flagship, which provided know-how for the system.

"It's a bit like putting a railroad up the centre of Australia," Mr Gunn said. "With that infrastructure in place, the scientists can go off and look at new challenges."

The $15 million system was designed by the bureau and the CSIRO with the navy, which believes the system will deliver tactical advantages from how to better deploy torpedoes to predicting when sonar and radar systems will be most effective.

Merchant ships will be able to read the bureau's charts to select fuel-efficient routes. Search and rescue teams will be able to pinpoint likely locations for lost sailors, and clean-up teams will be better able to predict dispersion rates for spilled pollutants.

Dr Neville Smith, the chief scientist at the Bureau of Meteorology, said the system also had great potential to monitor climate change: "As the patterns of salinity change, sea levels will change along with it because of the amount of water effectively in the ocean … It's important for understanding how the ocean is going to change in 10, 20 or 50 years' time."

BLUElink forecasts are available at www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/forecasts

Great site....but hard to compare to the Paid one Fshlexic.....that one gives you accurate info to the sqaure kilomatre..

Yeah netic as i said, It was partly my fault but we did travel a long way and didnt find any of the water that was supposedly there 16hrs earlier, i know things can change alot in that time but still after paying $15 i would have thought i would have acess to more than one map!!!!!

I think the bom site will be a good indicator of when to use the more accurate site though!!!!

Yeah netic as i said, It was partly my fault but we did travel a long way and didnt find any of the water that was supposedly there 16hrs earlier, i know things can change alot in that time but still after paying $15 i would have thought i would have acess to more than one map!!!!!

I think the bom site will be a good indicator of when to use the more accurate site though!!!!

Thats the down side of the $15 buy in, it only gives you one map...and sometimes due to cloud cover that map may not be accurate...it takes a while to get used too...

The downside on the BOM one is it shows the whole cost...you can just select sydney....temps breaks may only be 2 kms wide and the big NSW picture won't show them...Where on the other site you can just select sydney and see all the small breaks