North Harbour 5/8

southerly

Hi all,

After some indecision of what to try this deep into winter but being desperate for a paddle I decided to try for John Dory in North Harbour. I arrived in the yak at Davis Marina at day break and started to fish for yakkas. I only had one yakka hook with the hand line but figured it would be enougth for a few yakka's.

No sign of any yakka's as I hooked and dropped two trevally before landing one. Took a photo and put him back.

post-3697-1186279163_thumb.jpg

Two more trevally and then one busted me up on the hand line, with no more yakka hooks and no sign of yakkas I decided to get some exercise and go for a troll so I headed out past 40 baskets and around Dobroyd Point. Picked up two pike on the troll near the bommy, the wind made heading into Washaway a miserable option so I headed back to Nth Harbour. Had a few casts for bream with a flick bait around the morings for zip then headed back to the marina past one of the regulars who had continued to catch trevally after I left, they also said it had been a very poor year for John Dory, they were still waiting for them to 'arrive'.

Heading in to the sand bank to pull the yak out I spotted a small seal sunning itself, it was uniterest in my yak and just drifted by alternating fins and flippers high in the air to sun bake. Afetr a few photo's I headed back to the wall and dragged the yak back up the stairs.

post-3697-1186279278_thumb.jpg

A nice day for a paddle and a bit of wildlife to boot. Seems to be a few trevally in NH.

Southerly

I love catching Trevs, and that seal looks like he is waving at u.

penguin

Hi Pengiun,

You could do worse than spend a few hours in Nth Harbour if you want trev's. They have been caught near the end of the moringings as you head out to sea as well as around the marina. Not big but nice pate size.

The NW'ern sailing bouy in NH used to be a good sport for them, no one was fishing it today. It is also sheltered from every wind except a screaming southerly or sou'easter.

Southerly

Hey Southerly

Top report mate!!! Pity about the lack of fish, but push comes to shove I know what Id prefer to be doing at any given time :1fishing1::biggrin2:

Nice trev!!! We have been getting stacks of them lately,,, have to quite literally fight to get out baits down past them,,, grrrrrrr

Anyhow let you know next time we are heading out and where the breakie will be :thumbup::biggrin2:

D&G