Final Bash On The Water

squidboy

Hello Fellow raiders,

Well last night we looked at the weather and thought, oh bugger it, lets go for a quick squid session again. So against the odds we headed to the boat ramp this morning at a late 7am start. First spot nothing, second spot nothing, third spot nothing, fourth spot nothing. So things were not looking normal.

We headed to another real shallow spot and my dad pulls up a tiny occi, so back into the water that went.

Move another 20 odd metres and my brother said he was on, then it was the bottom of the world, but no, then he really was on. Long pulls of line and up it came, thinking it was an occi again, but no, it was a big squid, very big. So when that one was boated there were jumps of joy all around except for mum that said an innocent "What about my one?".

So we tried a few more goes but nothing again. We then headed outside for a quick flick at a reef we try. Me and my brother had a double hook up which was alot of fun for dad trying to work out which one to land first with the net.

We ended up with 5 medium squid and 1 rather large one.

All were caught on orange jigs, which were the only ones working today between us they were 3 and 3.5 grams worked off the bottom up.

The wind picked up so we went straight to the boat ramp. Quick look at the watch and we were leaving the ramp at 10am. fantastic day on the water before the weather was looking a bit better on Wednesday :yahoo:

Hope you enjoy the photos

Squidboy

post-2763-1186281316_thumb.jpg

post-2763-1186281330_thumb.jpg

post-2763-1186281412_thumb.jpg

Well done, Squidboy - I think you should be giving us a lesson in squidding!!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Roberta,

Squid Lesson??? I cant ive them because Im not doing anything different to what everyone else would do lol. I hope more people get into this kinda sport. They are good bait, and very nice to eat fresh, not like the imported stuff in the shops which is months old. And another bonus is local bait is best bait!

All the best with the squid raiders, I wont be out for a little bit now as I chew on my calamari rings :thumbup:

wow, did you measure the big guy?

Are you talking sydney harbour, pittwater or botany>>?!?!?!

Went outside Sydney heads this morning Just quickly before the weather went real nasty. Pittwater is a little further for me to get too in a short amount of time and Botany, well, i fish better elsewhere. There are some squid around the island at La Persouse but the bay conditions keep me away for squid fishing.

Just a note, big winds, means its hard to fish for them and they go off the bite for some reason.

You are the Squid Master.....

Why aren't they aeround like this during the Kingy season... :wacko:

How big is your esky?

To be honest and you must already know this. kings as well as other larger fish in the harbour scare the squid away as and when they enter the system yearly around spring time. As kingies get in the harbour you can see squid pretty much going thin on numbers round the heads and in the deeper bays where the big squid thrive in winter.

My esky is about 75cm long so the squid isnt the biggest I have seen to date, but definitly the one my brother remembers for life :thumbup: