Minn Kota Saltwater Motors

Steve O

Hi all. i went to the boat show last weekend 2 check out some of the electric motors. i'm interested in buying a transom mount for my tinny. when i spoke to 1 of the salesmen 4 minn kota he said that the saltwater riptide is exactly the same as the freshwater models except you get a corrosion warranty on the riptide. He then said he's been running a minn kota endura in saltwater and has had no problems.

Is there a difference in the motors other than the price?

Any help would be much appreciated

Steve

I thought the salt water ones had more s/s components/shaft, whereas the freshwater ones didn't? Perhaps they all have the same these days? You'd expect the salesman at the show to know!!

Cheers

Roberta

I think the saltwater ones have a sacraficial anode on it and the fresh water ones didnt.

You can buy the anodes tho ;)

I have used the Maxxums for the last 3 boats and never had a problem with any and they are a fresh water model. I dont use the anode and I hardly even wash it! Rinse and spray is all they get.

Greg

Hi Steve, Greg is pretty much correct. The riptide series has an anode and is covered for corrosion, while the freshwater models do not have anodes, which you can buy as spare parts, and will not be covered by warranty if faiure is related to corrosion. That said if you maintain the unit and clean with fresh water I do not see the problem with running the Freshwater versions in Saltwater, and they are a fair bit cheaper.

PM me with the Riptide and Freshwater models you are lloking at and I will give you the "Fishraider" price.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hmmmm .... isn't there normally some hundreds of dollars difference between the 2?? Seems a big difference for a sacrificial anode!!

Cheers

Roberta

Huey - what sizes do they come in ... one day I will be looking into getting one for my foldaboat (rear mount)

Hmmmm .... isn't there normally some hundreds of dollars difference between the 2?? Seems a big difference for a sacrificial anode!!

Cheers

Roberta

Huey - what sizes do they come in ... one day I will be looking into getting one for my foldaboat (rear mount)

Good Morning Roberta, the Minn Kota Transom mount range starts at a 28LB Endura model and go up from there with the Riptide series starting at 40Lb and up. To be fair when comparing the same thrust units the Riptide series is about $150 dearer than the basic freshwater unit, but about the same price when you look at a freshwater unit with the same features as the Riptide, so all in all you get what you pay for.

When you are ready to buy let me know and you will get the "Raider" price.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi all. i went to the boat show last weekend 2 check out some of the electric motors. i'm interested in buying a transom mount for my tinny. when i spoke to 1 of the salesmen 4 minn kota he said that the saltwater riptide is exactly the same as the freshwater models except you get a corrosion warranty on the riptide. He then said he's been running a minn kota endura in saltwater and has had no problems.

Is there a difference in the motors other than the price?

Any help would be much appreciated

Steve

so the salesman said he is useing one in saltwater and that he thinks it is fine to do so

Was he willing to put that down on some paper for you so it covers you for warrinty????

i know BLA (the main dealers of minn kotas) have in the past knocked back warrinty claims after finding salt in and on the freashwater modles

sure the enduros and freashwater modles may never have a problem in the rusty stuff but your got to think about the What Ifs and how it will effect the warrinty