Which Line For Baitcasters?

Morgo

Hi all, I recently purchased a baitcaster reel and rod but don't know what line to spool it with. I've heard that fireline is good but it's expensive and I've got some old mono just sitting around. Please tell me which lines are best, it is rated to around 14lb line.

just got the new fishing dvd magazine 8! from the newsagent, and it has an excellent guide on using baitcasters! including some practice drills and how to adjust the reel! the guy recomends using mono for beginners as its highly likely that you will get an over run or two starting off and pulling out the mono to replace is a lot cheaper than braid!

Any true braid will be fine. I've switched to Tufline XP and so far so good. Its inexpensive, ties a great albright and so far it doesn't want to break. Platil Millenium Hotfibre is another braid that is superb on baitcasters. I'm sure the list will be endless. Steer clear from Fireline. Its great on eggbeaters only.

Cheers

Red

Just spooled two reels one with good braid and one with fireline.

Fireline retains a small amount of memory, and requires to be retrieved with weight every 10 or so casts. I found out the hard way with a bunch of grapes after approx 20 casts. :ranting2::ranting2:

Fireline has better abrasive qualities if you are fishing near structure, and is good for jigging.

For a casting option i would recommend braid with a fluorocarbon trace if required.

Both are far superior to mono worth the investment. :thumbup:

Take care.

hey dude i recommend yo zuri hybrid lines... really good stuff i use the 20 pound and managed to reel in a 1.3m port jackson the other day, helluva fight and i think if it wasnt for the line i wouldnt have had a chance... so yeah ever after ive been a keen fan

Hi all, I recently purchased a baitcaster reel and rod but don't know what line to spool it with. I've heard that fireline is good but it's expensive and I've got some old mono just sitting around. Please tell me which lines are best, it is rated to around 14lb line.

if you are new to baitcasters start with the cheap mono. that way when you get a birds nest you wont cry when you have to cut it out