Today's Session

varos1911

Hit Botany this afternoon and hit my favourite spot for livies.

Managed 15 yakkas though they were fairly large at around the 30cms mark.

Threw down a few livies to no avail.

The weather wasnt to great but we did end up with a few jackets and trevs and this whopping yakka at 39cms and es it took drag on my light bait rod!

39cmyakkacb4.jpg

Thats a good sized livebait.

I bet Jewgaffer would love to throw that 39cms yakka, down one of his monster jewies throats

Did you know those yakkas taste excellent, just ask any jewfish :074:

Hi Anesti it's amazing how many big yakkas have come in during and since the big rains and southerly freezes. It's a shame to see them frolicking around the place so safe and secure. They will only protected by these cold currents for a little while longer mate and then they become just as expendable as pilchards.

Yakkas have one purpose in life and when the big jew are around yakkas remind me of a type of slow release bird seed for jews as the next best jewie food to squid :074:

It's only natural attrition and only a little wait now until the big late winter jew come in and do what nature always intended jews to do to those larger yakkas who could well grow to 300lbs :1yikes: if it wasn't for jews, occies, cuttlefish and other predators that like yakkas enough to swallow them whole with a bit of the old head munch and a backbone crunch on the way thru.

yakkas are probably the hardiest fish in the estuaries along with trevally and leather jackets I reckon. Nearly every other table species species cannot handle near the conditions of that lot as far as comfortable water temperatures go .

I wonder how many fishos have noticed a real shortage of big bream down deep this particular winter?

you never hear much mention of that much at all these past few months.

I've caught more tailor down very deep than jewies since June and more bonito down deep than bream

So i reckon the go would be to sneak up on some oyster leases at low tide and bust up some oysters and go back and fish the run up as I reckon there would be some monster bream around in the warmer shallower backwaters that might need a bit of encouragement to school up and do their thing.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

What an awesome Jewfish bait..

Either live on the end of some 6/0 hooks, on a running sinker rig with a 6 oz sinker sitting at the bottom of Flint and Steel Reef or Bar Point in the Hawkesbury duing the top of the tide and you can almost be assured of a monster Jew... OR you can kill it and butterfly it - mmm mmm monster Jew, bring it on

I wonder how many fishos have noticed a real shortage of big bream down deep this particular winter?

you never hear much mention of that much at all these past few months.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Mate i totally agree... i have been fishing the georges for the last few months and have noticed it is getting harder and harder to catch even a small bream, let alone a legal size one... i have been told that the water is too cold in the river at the moment... I say bring on summer!!!!!

Don't overlook another use for large yakkas.

They make delicious sashimi. They are easy to fillet and skin. With a little care you will end up with sizable. beatifully clean, slightly pink pieces which you can slice thinly before adding a little soy sauce and wasabi.

I also like them cooked if there are no bream around.

Peter

Shame about the lack of action.

What were you intending to catch with livies.

I was hoping for a winter kingie,but the yakkas did not get a sniff at all.

Late arvo i was waiting and waiting for a jewie to slam it home in the run-up tide but i guess it just wasnt the right day, the southernly didnt help as well.

Don't overlook another use for large yakkas.

They make delicious sashimi. They are easy to fillet and skin. With a little care you will end up with sizable. beatifully clean, slightly pink pieces which you can slice thinly before adding a little soy sauce and wasabi.

I also like them cooked if there are no bream around.

Peter

Absolutely.... Tetsuya serves them as part of his 12 course degustation in his restaurant. :biggrin2:

:1yikes: Yellowtail king :thumbup:

penguin

:Funny-Post:

Another 25cm and he would be legal after Setember 3!!!