The Entrance Blackfishing Session

glennmreid

Hi Guys,

Today I went up to The Entrance for some Blackfishing. I am only new to this type of fishing. Today was my 2nd time.

Decided to give my new blackfish rod and alvey reel a go. Arrived at my 1st spot, not much going on. Then I moved down about 200 metres to try my luck. After burleying, using the stimulate ground berley and green cabbage mixed together, I cast out. Within 30 second I was hooked into my 1st fish. After a good fight(these blackfish fight hard and dirty), I landed a 40cm beast. All went quiet for the next hour. Then bang, 3 more fish and I lost a few more. My last fish weighed 1kg, and measured 42cm.

After a great day, I took home 4 fish. Not bad for my 2nd attempt fishing for Blackfish.

These fish were caught using green cabbage from Narrabeen. They love the cabbage.

I wonder if anyone could help me. One of the fish had some kind of small creatures coming out of its mouth. They sort of looked like tiny shrimp? They were really tiny, and the tails were webbed and flat, lot like a prawn or crayfish sort of tail. I am assuming that these fish must have been feeding on tiny shrimp.

post-3324-1187169747_thumb.jpg

Edited by chopper75

Hi Guys,

Today I went up to The Entrance for some Blackfishing. I am only new to this type of fishing. Today was my 2nd time.

Decided to give my new blackfish rod and alvey reel a go. Arrived at my 1st spot, not much going on. Then I moved down about 200 metres to try my luck. After burleying, using the stimulate ground berley and green cabbage mixed together, I cast out. Within 30 second I was hooked into my 1st fish. After a good fight(these blackfish fight hard and dirty), I landed a 40cm beast. All went quiet for the next hour. Then bang, 3 more fish and I lost a few more. My last fish weight 1kg, and measure 42cm.

After a great day, I took home 4 fish. Not bad for my 2nd attempt fishing for Blackfish.

These fish were caught using green cabbage from Narrabeen. They love the cabbage.

I wonder if anyone could help me. One of the fish had some kind of small creatures coming out of its mouth. They sort of looked like tiny shrimp? They were really tiny, and the tails were webbed and flat, lot like a prawn or crayfish sort of tail. I am assuming that these fish must have been feeding on tiny shrimp.

hi Chopper,

that bug may be whats called a doctor(isopod),maybe someone will enlighten to proper term but you see them in yakkas also... i hooked quite a good fish the other day then doh,lost him ,wind in to see huge doctor on hook...this has happened a few times over the years... they dont hurt the host but live in mouth/gill area... http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/faq/tongue.htm

is this what it looked like post-2219-1187173149_thumb.jpg

Edited by roosterman

Hi Steve,

One of them was that size like in your photo and looked like that. I found one on my hook after unhooking a fish. I thought that I must have hooked it when I lay down my rod on the grass. Also, I noticed one of the fish had lots of those isopod things coming out of it's mouth. Strange things. Thanks for the info.

Glenn

hi Chopper,

that bug may be whats called a doctor(isopod),maybe someone will enlighten to proper term but you see them in yakkas also... i hooked quite a good fish the other day then doh,lost him ,wind in to see huge doctor on hook...this has happened a few times over the years... they dont hurt the host but live in mouth/gill area... http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/faq/tongue.htm

Hi Steve,

One of them was that size like in your photo and looked like that. I found one on my hook after unhooking a fish. I thought that I must have hooked it when I lay down my rod on the grass. Also, I noticed one of the fish had lots of those isopod things coming out of it's mouth. Strange things. Thanks for the info.

Glenn

hi Chopper,

I went blackfishing in Narara creek on the weekend and struck at a down only to get one of these on the hook - not fair. I lost 2 other fish - one broke my 4lb leader when a large stick floated over my float just as it went down and i couldnt fight it properly and another just droped. Think I will change to 6lb flurocarbon leader to reduce my losses as downs can be hard to come by.

These fish certainly fight hard, particulary the larger ones. I had a hard time fighting them with the Alvey. I used 8lb fluro carbon as leader, they really tested it out. I'm pretty happy considering it was my 2nd time fishing for blackies. I could've come home with more, but I didn't want to be greedy.

Glenn

I went blackfishing in Narara creek on the weekend and struck at a down only to get one of these on the hook - not fair. I lost 2 other fish - one broke my 4lb leader when a large stick floated over my float just as it went down and i couldnt fight it properly and another just droped. Think I will change to 6lb flurocarbon leader to reduce my losses as downs can be hard to come by.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh welcome to the cross eyed brigade chopper75, thats what will happen when they don't co-operate and you start going mad wondering why, as thick as they can be they do get lean at times, but you have just entered a much larger world (as Obi Wan said to Luke), well done on your second trip it can take some new comers to this art a lot longe to break the drought and it certainly is addictive, stick with it and in time you may find yourself chasing nothing else but like me, the frustrations of not being ablre to get any bait etc, where are the fish. Oh and those fish are thumpers any fish over 2lb these dyas is considered a trophy fish.

Great report and heres to your next session.

regards

LA

Well done Chopper on some fantastic fish!!! Even better, for it to be only your 2nd outing at the dark art of Blackfishing!!! You will be well & truly addicted now!! Probably think it was too easy!! It is like that some days - you will almost have to hide behind a tree to cast ...... but beware ..... just when you think you know what you are doing ...... you may eventually have a dark period & can't even catch a cold!!

Don't those big fish play dirty!!!??? If they haven't got a pylon or rocks to try & run to, they will take you into the long weed & try to wrap you around that instead ... all of which puts pressure on your gear!! I have only used my Alvey reel a couple of times - they take a bit of getting used to after using egg beaters! Both have their good points!

Were you fishing the channel on the south side of the bridge or elsewhere?? I was so disappointed in April when they were playing 'hard to get'!

Look forward to wetting a line with you at next year's social at the Entrance!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Pete,

Sounds great. Let me know when you get back from Surfers and we can organise a time to do some blackie fishing. Hopefully beginners luck is still on my side :D

Take care

Glenn

Well done Glenn some nice fish.

When I come back from Surfers if you want to go for a blackie fish during the week let me know I would love to get out and try and catch a few.

regards

GoFish Pete :1fishing1:

Hi Roberta,

I'll tell you, those big blackies do play dirty. They were either dragging line off my alvey, or heading into the weed beds. I have a tough time fighting them in the weed beds. Just when you think you have them under your control, they go for another hard run. For a fish of that size, you would think you are fighting a huge fish. One thing is for sure, I love this type of fishing!

I caught the fish at the northern end of the bridge. As you go over the bridge, to the left there is a car park. Park your car in there. Water in front of you has plenty of weed beds. You will notice that infront of the car park, there are no trees or bush at the waters edge. Take a look to your right, you notice about 100 metres away bush and trees at the waters edge. That is where I fished. In the corner where the bush and trees started to appear at the waters edge. I was fishing the run out tide, and basically cast my float about 8 - 10 feet, and let the float drift with the tide for about 50 metres. Most of the fish and downs occured in front of me. I have fished this spot twice, and caught fish on both occassions.

Glenn

Well done Chopper on some fantastic fish!!! Even better, for it to be only your 2nd outing at the dark art of Blackfishing!!! You will be well & truly addicted now!! Probably think it was too easy!! It is like that some days - you will almost have to hide behind a tree to cast ...... but beware ..... just when you think you know what you are doing ...... you may eventually have a dark period & can't even catch a cold!!

Don't those big fish play dirty!!!??? If they haven't got a pylon or rocks to try & run to, they will take you into the long weed & try to wrap you around that instead ... all of which puts pressure on your gear!! I have only used my Alvey reel a couple of times - they take a bit of getting used to after using egg beaters! Both have their good points!

Were you fishing the channel on the south side of the bridge or elsewhere?? I was so disappointed in April when they were playing 'hard to get'!

Look forward to wetting a line with you at next year's social at the Entrance!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Glenn

I know that spot! Unfortunately the fish weren't 'playing the rules' when I was there. I saw a couple of 'grumps' there who obviously fish it regularly!

I tried on jetty there, you can see them parading back & forth. Then there's the little bridge steps & further along the foreshore than where you were, across the little bridge/creek & the next long flat bit! Seems you can get good ones there, too!

Can't wait to get back there & have another go! You really know you have earned your fish, when they take you into the weeds & poles & you still manage to pull them out!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

I tried a couple of spots in the same area before moving down and ctaching these fish. I used the stimulate ground burley and mixed it with some of my chopped cabbage as burley. It seemed to work a treat. I noticed not far from me a few swirls in the water. After checking it out, I noticed schools to blackies swimming in the weed beds. Must have been my lucky day.

Glenn

Hi Glenn

I know that spot! Unfortunately the fish weren't 'playing the rules' when I was there. I saw a couple of 'grumps' there who obviously fish it regularly!

I tried on jetty there, you can see them parading back & forth. Then there's the little bridge steps & further along the foreshore than where you were, across the little bridge/creek & the next long flat bit! Seems you can get good ones there, too!

Can't wait to get back there & have another go! You really know you have earned your fish, when they take you into the weeds & poles & you still manage to pull them out!

Cheerio

Roberta