7 Blackies Today On The Breakwall

arpie

Hi guys

Seems the bigger blackies (in numbers) have been on the go since last week .... when I went to Sydney!! Some guys are bagging out regularly now - with fish up to 47cm landed & bigger lost!

I knew they would come on the chew in August!! :thumbup::yahoo:

Keith was at the gym & having a swim today, so I had 3hrs to play on the wall!! First off, tried cabbage, with no luck. Fish were being caught around me, but not by me!!! One of the regulars kindly gave me some of his 'wire' weed & I was immediately into fish! Funnily enough, I had never caught well on that type of weed, whilst others swear by it! However it was what they wanted today! So for the next 4 fish, I said "Thank you Roy" as I got it into the net! Then I mixed it with some softer green weed & then started catching on that!

Landed 7 all up (biggest one 38cm) & was busted off by a couple of beauties, as well as some others - so busted off by about 6 (all my spare traces gone!) Must make up some more!

Seven Bewdies! Biggest one underneath, to 38cm - gave 4 to my neighbour & kept the 3 big ones.

post-2231-1187329056_thumb.jpg

It is sooo nice out there, I am tempted to go out & try again, just for fun!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

One guy today was really spewing - he had lost a float the day before, then lost 2 today & looked at me & said - I got 6 fish here yesterday & have caught none today & lost 2 floats! You bring me bad luck!!!

I reckon it had something to do with the 15lb main line he uses & the 12lb traces!! Like 'DUH'!!

Edited by Roberta

Hey Roberta,

More choice blackies, must be good to be able to just duck out for a fish. It would take nearly 1 hr from here to get to any decent fishing (salt that is). You must have not got the wind that has been on the increase through the day out western Sydney way. I haven't been able to go fishin for 4 weeks now, and wont be able to for a couple more yet, so busy, footy finals on this time of year. So when i get let off the chain LOOK OUT FISH!!

Lata Raida.

Waynie

Hi Waynie

Beautiful calm day today - not a breath of wind! I went out with too many layers of clothes on & got too hot! WIll try again tomorrow, perhaps just for fun - put them back! I know I am really spoiled, being able to come & go at will! Something to work towards, to be sure!

What a bummer being that far away from the salt water! Mind you, there must be some good fresh water access out your way?? Hope so, anyway!!

Enjoy it when you get stuck into it!

Cheerio

ROberta

Hi Roberta,

I notice you bleed the fish by cutting the back of the neck, as opposed to the underneath the gills. Is there a reason for this, and do you do this just for the blackfish?

Cheers.

Oh, and BTW, nice bag of fish...

Edited by 445F

Hi Capt Hook

The breakwall up here at Forster! We have one of the best in the state for blackie fishing - also bream, flattie & jewies!

post-2231-1187332551_thumb.jpg

I fish the FOrster side usually, but the Tuncurry side (right) is also very productive!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi 445F - I find I get less cuts on my hand this way - those cuts from their spine hurt & sting like crazy & never seem to heal before the next fish cuts you again! Very annoying.

I hold them down with a cloth & basically nearly decapitate them!! When I fillet them, I just continue the cut further down & cut out the gut section also!

Edited by Roberta

Hi Ceph

A lot of folk just slit their throats but the big ones are really strong & slippery & flap around (as if they know what is going to happen to them ....) & are really easy to drop (even when holding with a rag.) So I have developed this method. I usually ensure the cloth goes all around them, not just over the top edges.

I used to keep them alive in a keeper bag down in the water, but a mongrel moray eel chewed thru the bag & chewed my fish & the ones he missed got away anyhow out of the hole he made!! So now, if I am going to keep them, i cut their neck them straight away & put them in a bucket of clean salt water.

Looks horrible, I know, but with arthritis in my hands, I find it the much easier way to despatch them. :wacko:

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Ceph

A lot of folk just slit their throats but the big ones are really strong & slippery & flap around (as if they know what is going to happen to them ....) & are really easy to drop (even when holding with a rag.) So I have developed this method. I usually ensure the cloth goes all around them, not just over the top edges.

I used to keep them alive in a keeper bag down in the water, but a mongrel moray eel chewed thru the bag & chewed my fish & the ones he missed got away anyhow out of the hole he made!! So now, if I am going to keep them, i cut their neck them straight away & put them in a bucket of clean salt water.

Looks horrible, I know, but with arthritis in my hands, I find it the much easier way to despatch them. :wacko:

Cheerio

Roberta

Seems to be a good way to do it. I have cut myself several times when bleeding fish..

What a nasty eel!! Should have hooked him and taught him a lesson!

Thanks for the info Roberta. :biggrin2:

Thanks Roberta. I know what you mean about the spikes and fish wriggling when you are trying to put them to the sword.

When I used to fish for blackfish, I used to use a keeper net as well, and an eel also took a liking to one of the blackfish in the net. But it only happened the one time.

Speaking of bleeding fish, I remember one day when I had gutted a luderick and gilled it. And as I was about to put it into the net, I dropped it into the water, and it actually swam off... Poor thing... Would have quickly become eel or jewie bait.

Edited by 445F

Hi Roberta,

once again, well done. :thumbup: that is a great session you had.

I've just come home from collecting some weed from Turrametta beach where the rocks at the southern end are covered in beautiful long green weed and some hidden patches of cabbage. Going to hit the water in the early AM to se if I can get into the big ones Roosterman has been chasing. :biggrin2:

cheers

Cam

another great bag of blackfish roberta :thumbup: ... i hope to emulate that tomorrow morn at first light... i invited a few raiders along so hopefully the fish will stick to the script :biggrin2: ... cam sounded very excited earlier,hope he can hook one of these bigguns.... sure is great being so close to the action i just wish i had the time to get out there more often.. good luck tomorrow....steve....

Hi Ross

It gives me a reason for getting up in the morning .... what am I doing here on the computer ...... should be fishing ..... and soon will! (only kidding about the only reason for getting up!!) But I do think about it a lot. It is my hobby!

Hi Steve & Cam - well done on getting some good weed & cabbage, Cam - hope it does the trick! Yesterday, all they wanted was the 'wire' weed - not cabbage or stringy weed! Weird!

Yeehaa! Bring 'em on! I can see the smokers being stoked up tonight!

Cheers

Roberta

Well done your at itagain Roberta! Nice fish, they have run very late again this year, but at least they showed hey! the trick to not losing your float is to keep the lineoff the shell encrusted rocks but then some people just do'nt have the knack i know a few of those (part timers i call them!)

On those floats of mine they are my harbour and lake floats and don't worry many a sawtail has cost me a good cedar float off the back of Cremorne wharf (before it sank again! :bump0ee: ) My breakwall floats get equally as much attention and i will be knocking a batch up soon (cork body and cedar pencils) i was talking to Peter and next time i run into him i will put a couple in the float container for you both to try (after i get back from 4 weeks in the UK yes will involve some coarse float fishing! :1prop::1prop: yea!

Good result

Cheers

Royce.

Hi Royce

Going to the UK!!! I thought you were just going to post the reel over to be repaired .....You didn't have to go that far to fix it did you?? :1prop::1prop: I bet you come back with a few more centrepins!!

Ooooh! A New float to try out!! Very Exciting! I would be honoured to try out one of your floats!!! I really hate losing them - they almost become your 'lucky' float & you know how it behaves ....how it casts .... all those important bits!

I only took up blackie fishing a couple of years ago & It took me a little while to work out the delicate balance of main line strength to sinker line strength to trace line strength = lost floats!! I saw a couple of mine float out the breakwall, heading towards NZ! Not Funny!! Also managed to retrieve a couple with well aimed sinkers & hooks!

Enjoy your trip to the UK - look forward to hearing some 'Pommie Posts!'

Cheerio

Roberta

Roberta, a great way to rig for the breakwaters is this, get a bit of downpipe and seal it at one end make it about 3 foot long turn it on end and fill with fresh water. next get an assortment of barrel sinkers using 0.25 stainless game wire, a pair of round nose pliers, regular needle nose do the following. Take a piece of wire about 6 to 7 inches long using the round nose pliers form an eye around the pliers as small as you can, and twist the wire as if to form what resembles a hangmans noose and trim neat with sidecutters. put a barrel sinker over the wire and repaet the step forming the eye (form the eye as close to the sinker as you canlaeve a 1/4 of inch if possible. Now get 1 stainless split ring and a size 12 or 14 swivel and attach to the sinker, make a few of these using no's 0, 1 ,2 barrels. Now using your tube take the desired float and put a small rubber band on the bottom stem and attach what you think is the right ballast (remeber its going to sit higer in the salt and allow forthe current of those norhtern walls!) If you need to fine tune at the spot you add a little sheet lead either wrapped on the float stem or fold it in half and gently press on to the main line below your float. If you leave the sinkers on the stems after weighting the floats at home in your float container it is as simple as poo (oops! :1prop: ) to change a rig.

Cheers

Royce.

P.S i'm at work at the moment (naughty) so i will post a rough drawing for all you fellow luderick fishers on this set up. Also if you add a second split ring you add two swivels at the bottom and fish two hooks.

Wher do my ideas come from. I have a wonderful father who spent 35 years on the railways. Thanks Dad.

Hi Royce

Are you sure you & luderick59 aren't brothers?? He told me about that method for weighting floats when I was in Sydney!!! He then just uses a bit of twisted electrical wire to connect the weight to the float until needed. Matter of fact, I found a float the next day & new it was his, because of this method used!! I just use an old plastic garbage bin that I leave full of water just for that reason! I usually take 2-3 'spare' floats with me to the wall, hoping never to use them! I have been able to help others out, who have lost theirs (spare ones too!) Sometimes :05: !!

We should start a thread & call it 'Best Ever tips for Blackie FIshing' & get everyone to add to it ...... hmmmm might just do that!!! With so many showing an interest in the dark art, it will help a lot of them get into it quicker!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

No but then great minds do think alike, my rig varies as i use the stainless steel single strand game wire (does not aneal and break as easy as copper wire or soft gal wire) you buy at the tackle store (also good for making float runners) if you sit down for an arvo and make a dozen of these you reduce your re rig time on the water also it makes a change of float for conditions a lot easier and quicker. heres another tip, always carry a spare size 10 and 12 rod runner in your kit and either fibre tape used on cricket bats or dental floss if you smash a runne in the field its as easy as stripping the broken one and either using the fibre tape or floss to whip a new runner on! also carrying one of those spare fuji bind on tips and a little tube of supa glue if you smash that use a ciggie lighter to get the old one off give the tip a lite scrape wit ha knife gently of course to clean it up glue and whip the tip on. These are things i've had to do over the years and i learnt this from being in a hot bite and having no basic repair kit, it takes up the size of a small tupperware container and is really no extra weight. Beleive me it is worth it especially if you want to keepcatching them and don't fancy having to go to the store to put the rod in to be fixed or spend valued fishing hours doing that! :beersmile: