Fishing Fool - A Poem

PJ Garn

Hi Raiders

Just a short poem I wrote today. I fished a spot that I haven't for about 15 years and these are my thoughts.

No fish on this occasion, although had a couple of nice bites that were detected by the bite alarm that I got at WATTO's.

Cheers

Garn

Fishing Fool*

On a quiet bend in old South Creek,

I sit patiently; waiting for Carp to bite...

And remember; back to when I was young,

For most days, after school...

I was a “Fishing Fool”

At a glance... not much has changed,

Stringy bark hangs from ghost white limbs,

As the Magpie’s still happily sing,

And a Daddy Kingfisher; all brightly blue,

Patrols the same banks, his Grandpa once flew.

But I don’t remember, this rubbish strewn,

Upon these banks, on those lazy afternoons,

Bottles, cans, plastic bags and more,

Pepsi, Coke, McDonald’s...

You’ve a lot to answer for!

So what of my mates... Chris, Jason, Marc,

And the good times we spent, fishing till dark,

I remember the time,

We found a dead cow... **

How I wish... you could be here with me now!

Kingfisher watches from his throne up high,

This man; once a boy; as he starts to cry,

Things are different now,

Left with his memories of a fool,

He fishes in THIS... a stagnated pool!!!

*Fool = Mad

Mad = Keen/Enthuastic

**We found a dead bull from a local farm that had been washed away by the floods in the late 80’s. It ended up snagging about 3 metres up a tree and we watched it slowly rot and fall out of the tree over a period of a few weeks.

This is a view of the once lovely bend in South Creek

post-4461-1187410476_thumb.jpg

Note: the scum on the water and gum tree mentioned in poem!!!

Rubbish on the banks left after recent rain in Sydney

post-4461-1187410517_thumb.jpg

Note: The bite detector from WATTO's (They are great value!!!)

Edited by PJ Garn

Thats Choice Bro,

Wish i could have joined you at least to help you clean up. PJ and i fish together quite a bit and the state we find some of these spots in is just plain depessing. But do we look around n say gee thats no good NAH! When we pack our fishin bags we chuck in a few shoping bags, or well take our bread and cans of corn in em and we take em home full of rubbish.

Please don't look at the rubbish as not mine not my problem.

If you clean up the spot others are less likely to leave their rubbish, cause some seem to think wtf others have left their rubbish.

The mentality where pepole don't catch any thing therefore they lose respect for the spot can be the problem somtimes.

But if your like us fishing aint just about the fish (or we would be in trouble), it's the whole fishing experience, the outdoors, natures raw beauty. You know like when you look at a nice land scape photo and it's got that aahhh nice factor about it.

When your fishing environment is clean of rubbish you notice and appericiate things you would miss surounded by plastic bags, cans and those drink bottles that have that bit of garden hose in em.

Try the feel good feeling of leaving your fishing spot with a few bags of rubbish in tow. Im sure were not weird or diferent to you. We love our fishing and we feel quite content to leave a spot saying, oh well no fish but hey at least we took four bags of rubbish outa there.

Great poem there Mr Garn i hope we see it published in a few other places other than just here. And if you liked it pass it on and think of it as doing your bit towards this country and the fishing we love so much.

Hey PJ post the pics of what we pulled out of Fletchers.

Lata Raida.

Waynie

Thats Choice Bro,

Wish i could have joined you at least to help you clean up. PJ and i fish together quite a bit and the state we find some of these spots in is just plain depessing. But do we look around n say gee thats no good NAH! When we pack our fishin bags we chuck in a few shoping bags, or well take our bread and cans of corn in em and we take em home full of rubbish.

Please don't look at the rubbish as not mine not my problem.

If you clean up the spot others are less likely to leave their rubbish, cause some seem to think wtf others have left their rubbish.

The mentality where pepole don't catch any thing therefore they lose respect for the spot can be the problem somtimes.

But if your like us fishing aint just about the fish (or we would be in trouble), it's the whole fishing experience, the outdoors, natures raw beauty. You know like when you look at a nice land scape photo and it's got that aahhh nice factor about it.

When your fishing environment is clean of rubbish you notice and appericiate things you would miss surounded by plastic bags, cans and those drink bottles that have that bit of garden hose in em.

Try the feel good feeling of leaving your fishing spot with a few bags of rubbish in tow. Im sure were not weird or diferent to you. We love our fishing and we feel quite content to leave a spot saying, oh well no fish but hey at least we took four bags of rubbish outa there.

Great poem there Mr Garn i hope we see it published in a few other places other than just here. And if you liked it pass it on and think of it as doing your bit towards this country and the fishing we love so much.

Hey PJ post the pics of what we pulled out of Fletchers.

Lata Raida.

Waynie

Thanks for the reply Waynie... unfortunately I forgot to take plastic bags with me yesterday and was really intent on my poem. I'm going to duck down this spot this week at some stage and give it a clean up!!!

Please note: Most of the rubbish has been washed there by the recent floods not left by fishos but it should make us all think!!! What really happens to that bottle I just tossed as I drove down the road!!!

The creek that leads out of this pool needs clearing to allow the water to flow properly again and hence the stagnation problem will go away!!! Also need to clear a few fallen trees. Would you believe that someone has even dumped Asbestos (in bags) down there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone who is interested in helping drop me an email amazingward@optusnet.com.au

Also thanks to others who have replied to my poem... I'm glad that there are a few like minded people!

Waynie, I would love to see my poem in other places... feel free to distribute it but please put a note that it was written by PJ Garn!!!!

Cheers

Garn

Better pic of Bite Alarm setup from WATTO's (also note threadline bait runner reel it's a beauty)

post-4461-1187475175_thumb.jpg

Rubbish that Kiwi Waynie & I picked up after a session!!!!

post-4461-1187475186_thumb.jpg