Help Please Sydney Landbased

dashe

Hello all

I have been a member for a short while but this is my first post.I consider myself to be a novice when it comes to getting a fish to take the bait.For two reasons the length of time i have been actually doing it and the success rate is very poor.

I am sitting here with that need to get my fix.(Flick a line) :1badmood: . So i am weighing up the idea of going down to the western side of Sydney Harbour for a landbased session tonight or early morning despite the weather.

Am i wasting my time? :thumbdown:

Either way can you suggest a good spot ?.And considering the weather and location what species of fish is my best chance of catching?Could you please suggest rig,bait and burley technique also.

Up until now i have not focused on targeting one species and i feel this is part of the reason for the poor catch rate so far. Most of this has been in the hawkesbury boat based. :1wallbash:

I have enjoyed reading the posts on this site and thank all inadvance for any suggestions.

dashe

mate i had the same problem i used to go out targeting 10 different species with a method i know look back on and laugh the only things i would catch would be flatties as they are less fussier than many other species i dont know the area your fishin but id start by narrowing it down.

good luck

I dont know of any harbour LB spots but I will say this- Dont be turned off. Winter fishing is always slow, it's bloody hard work to get a feed of the staples ie flattys bream etc. The main inside fish that fire up when it gets cold are the luderick and whilst there are plenty of posts on this site to say they are going off I know of plenty of people that are struggling to get them.

stick with it, the fish will come.

Dave

[hi dashe :1welcomeani::1welcomeani:

try this take 2 loaves of bread, crusts for burley, center for bait

nice whippy rod eggbeater loaded with 6 to 12lb line as least lead as possible no6 to1/0 hook

a little burley now and again press bread firmly on hook with point exposed

you may be surprised at what you might catch :1yikes:

simple but efective

try a bit of chicken breast also hope this helps

peter :1fishing1:

A great landbased spot that has served me very well over the years from the humble leatherjacket to school jewfish is Blues Point Reserve.

It is at the end of Blues Point Road on the Kirribilli side.

Easy access to deep water and a park with public toilets and good parking .

Live pink nippers will get you bream and trevally this time of year and a big slab bait on a heavier outfit can catch you tailor and possibly a jewie or 2.

In close to the wall you can catch plenty of six spine and fan bellied jackets with a small paternoster rig,a no 8 or 10 long shank hook baited with a small piece of peeled prawn.

I hope this helps you out.

Cheers Stewy

Whilst drafting the last post it was only drizzling looking out the window.Ever since it hasn't stopped pissin down. :1badmood:

The only place i have tried is from yurulbin park Birchgrove.On the right day it appears like it would be very good spot but like i said i had no luck at all.

Hello all

I have been a member for a short while but this is my first post.I consider myself to be a novice when it comes to getting a fish to take the bait.For two reasons the length of time i have been actually doing it and the success rate is very poor.

I am sitting here with that need to get my fix.(Flick a line) . So i am weighing up the idea of going down to the western side of Sydney Harbour for a landbased session tonight or early morning despite the weather.

Am i wasting my time?

Either way can you suggest a good spot ?.And considering the weather and location what species of fish is my best chance of catching?Could you please suggest rig,bait and burley technique also.

Up until now i have not focused on targeting one species and i feel this is part of the reason for the poor catch rate so far. Most of this has been in the hawkesbury boat based. :1wallbash:

I have enjoyed reading the posts on this site and thank all inadvance for any suggestions.

dashe

Hi dashe. That excellent spot off Blues Point that Stewy mentioned is one of the best L/B spots in Sydney that will have you hanging onto your hat no risk. That's a natural jewie "drive past "area of the harbour and not too many fishermen are all that aware of that. The jew will take you by surprise there, I tell ya. :1yikes:

Ok let's up the general fishing ante and give you a backup spot to Blues Point and get you catching

fish.

This hot spot I am going to give you is a sort of a winter aquamarine spelling paddock away from the colder currents of the main river and you won't to better results than this place at this time of year or I could just about say for landbased fishos, any other time of year in that end of Sydney Harbour/Parramatta River for that matter.

Here is one great fishing spot that's always on fire seeing you've been having a poor catch rate :thumbup: .

This spot's also very comfortable in nice grassy surroundings where the fish are plentful and pretty well left to themselves.

It is really like you're in a fishing park where you should be charged big money to fish and there is just about every species you can think of and not many of them will ever be undersize because for some reason there pretty well all big animals of fish in this neck of the woods.

This spot makes for a nice relaxing day in the sun at this time of the year. There is a nice view and it's still fairly isolated and peaceful with a lots of fantastic boats to look at a few hundred yards across the waterway in front of you.

Occasionally you'll have people walking their dogs along the path at the water's edge, stopping for a chat and admiring your catch.

The spot is just a little way inside Iron Cove a couple of kilometers away from the the Iron Cove Bridge on Victoria Road and Ill tell you something else that part of Iron Cove is as good as it gets anywhere in the whole area for jewfish and other estuary fish.

To get there you drive inside the grounds of The Rozelle Hospital, drive in at the main entrance off Darling Street Rozelle. Keep going down the hill till you get to the bottom and turn left and park anywhere there on the grass at the water's edge just near an old shed like building which I think is called H ward.

That section of Iron Cove is one of the hottest spots you'll ever find. I've got an idea the waterfront section is public access land and no one will hunt you away from there.

I would launch about 4 light rods on about 12lb braid and use peeled prawns and chicken fillets marinated overnight in the strongest parmesan cheese you can find.

I would also have a supply of small occies that you buy cheap from a good fresh fish outlet. I have launched dirty big beach rods both day and night in that part of Iron Cove on paternostas of little Sydney Harbour occies with 2 or 3 on each hook into the deeper sections :1yikes: .

You will see depth by the look of the water as to where to move to launch the big rods as well.

Get there in the very early morning about an hour before the bottom of the tide. Set yourself up in a little portable deck chair and hammer some short lengths of 50mil pvc pipe into the bank as rod holders for your rod spread.

Just sit back and watch your rods take off :1yikes:

Let me know how you go . Ill be looking forward to one helluva fishing report if you ever fish that part of Iron Cove and that's for sure :thumbup:

Cheers and are there any other raiders who have fished that part of Iron landbased or in a boat?

I would love to hear from other raiders of their experiences in that particular neck of the woods

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Jewgaffer is on the money.. my very first jew came from nearby.

Won't tell you 'exactly' where that hole is tho hehe

Have taken plenty of big bream too on cheese.

Ive caught MONSTER lizards on the Drummoyne side(across the small bay from the rowing club)

I've seen a small shark in there about 5 years ago too...

(I grew up in Drummoyne. Many hours fishing LB & rowing in the Iron Cove. I still target these areas on my boat today.)

Good Luck :)

Edited by skunga