Georges River Mills Creek Blackie Hunt

Guest Ben75

Finally some time on the computer to post up a report :biggrin2:

Sunday just passed I had a trip organised with a few yakfisho's to hit the Hacking the plan was to launch at lilly pilly baths and head up south west arm . My plan was to try for some blackies up the arm as our last trip up there i saw lots of little ones and thought maybe the big ones are up there .

Woke up to the sound of pouring rain gave my mate a call and we still stuck to the plans to meet . Got to my Mates house and the only two left to head out pulled out due to the rain . My ute already loaded up with the green Machine I thought stuff it I love fishing/paddling in the rain so headed back over my way to hit the Geroges river to explore Mills creek which I was keen to check out.

Launch site Georges river

Greenmachine-1.jpg

Entrance to Mills creek

MillsCreek.jpg

I started paddling up Mills creek one lure out while on the move hoping to catch the attention of a flattie or a hungry Bream . I did this inbetween stops trying to find a spot which looked like it would have a few BlackFish around .

This is the type of spots I like to try for BlackFish.

slime.jpg

Rocks like this a little slimy looking and even better when they stick out into the river . I like to troll in close to the to check out the depth with my FF to scope out new spots. This spot was allot deeper than most sections it was 8 to 12ft .Most of the way in at times was only a paddle blade deep . I tried several spots like this on my way up the creek to not get one down. To me thats part of the hunt trying to find them when you haven't fished the area before.

I kept paddling up this creek it was pouring down with rain I was alone enjoying it just being on the water no one around not a house to be seen it was so peaceful The creek went for about 2k up the banks were so high i could imagine what it must be like when it has had big floods .The depth would get so low that I would be just pushing my kayak a long with the sand rubbing on the belly of my kayak then I would be in around 3ft of water excited again that i could go further up this creek .

Upthecreek.jpg

The creek started to narrow the cliffs around me started to grow I now was starting to feel I was so far away from everything . Then I come to this bridge Very strange I dont know who would of built it if it was kids or a scout thing or maybe an army exercise as when you look up the ridges are so high it would be a steep climb down . I know at high tide a tinny or punt type of boat could get up there .

Does anyone know the history of this bridge and what it was for ?

bridge.jpg

bridge2.jpg

Time to stretch the legs

stretchthelegs.jpg

After a quick stretch I decided to head back as it got to shallow and I couldn't go any further this time round I would be paddling back against the tide . The way out was much quicker than going in as going in I stoped so often trying different spots trying to find some stripes

On the way out I was a little disapointed as i thought I would find some stripes but didnt but was till keen to try for them in the main river .

Got back out of the creek and was paddling next to the bank when i saw a tree in the water with a lure stuck in it :thumbup: Did any FishRaider Member loose a SX48 in the tree next to the creek . If you have the missing trebles as proof its yours

sx48.jpg

sx481.jpg

I then tried again for some stripes to finally find one big rock sticking out far and high from the rest . It was about 13ft deep I thought i would give it one more go threw a couple of handfuls of burley in. With the wind very slight I didn't bother to anchor I just drifted with my float just in front of my kayak . Finally I found them I thought yee ha I new I would . I got the smallest down no fish put some more weed on cast it by the rock for another drift and then I had one of the downs one of my favorite you know the ones that go down in slow motion and a little to the side then I caught this little fella . After that not one more down I tried a few other spots for nothing rain kept up then the wind kicked up and I decided to call it a day .

tinyone.jpg

Keeper for the day one legal SX48

Cheers Ben :biggrin2:

Edited by Ben75

Great report and pictures Ben.

Love the rainy shots.

Very nice rig there too.

Re, the bridge. I bet it was built by the Giddy Gouts at some stage...maybe a scout camp behind it.

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by MallacootaPete

Ah Ben,

Like me you didn't let the weather stand between you and sesh on the water. Great report and pics and a handy find with the SX48 :thumbup: . I braved the rocks for a few pigs but it took me until the footy started to finally warm up. We will have to catch up soon on the yaks! :yahoo:

Cheers,

Rob

Superb report there Ben.

Mate, the adventure seeking new spots is more than half the fun.

Been rewarded with your efforts is just the icing on the cake.

Never realised that arm went up so far (2km). Would be a good spot to go come summer, dodging the jet ski's and water ski boats.

well done

cheers

b

Greetings Ben

Great report.

That's a creek I've spent a lot of time in and it's a beautifull bit of water. It's one of those places that once you paddle around that first bend you realy don't feel like you're in the middle of Sydney.

Don't be shy about tossing that lure around as you'd be surprised what I've caught up this creek but I'd probably think twice about eating anything from there as the headwaters flow out of Menai tip.

Might see you up there one day when the tide is high.

Henry

Great report and pictures Ben.

Love the rainy shots.

Very nice rig there too.

Re, the bridge. I bet it was built by the Giddy Gouts at some stage...maybe a scout camp behind it.

Cheers,

Pete

I admire your fine effort in giving us an awesome report, and showing us that fabulous scenery in pictures, Ben :thumbup:

But I am not sure about giddy goats building the old bridge and maybe a scout camp behind it, but if Pete states it was built by goats I will be closer to first than to last to take it for granted that it was indeed built by goats.

cheers

jewgaffer :beersmile:

Edited by jewgaffer

I admire your fine effort in giving us an awesome report, and showing us that fabulous scenery in pictures, Ben :thumbup:

But I am not sure about giddy goats building the old bridge and maybe a scout camp behind it, but if Pete states it was built by goats I will be closer to first than to last to take it for granted that it was indeed built by goats.

cheers

jewgaffer :beersmile:

Greatt yarn what a beautiful bit of water...I fell out of a similar craft many years ago in the Hacking, but that's another yarn Thanks for a nice report

Ross

WoW !! What a Great report Ben ..i have been fishing the river

for a long time now ... and every time i go past the creek in my

boat or drive up Henry Lawson , i say to whom i'm with one day

i must fish Mills Creek ,,,, But never had ... hmmm one day .

Mate really enjoyed your pic's & story.

Cheers Tom

Hi Ben

Really enjoyed reading your report - a great day out from a gloomy start! Well done on the finding the lure!! I love doing that in the yak when your are in Glenbawn or any of the bass lakes!! When the levels drop, some of them look like Xmas Trees, there is so much hanging off them!

Loved the jetty, too!! Looks like something out of Deliverance .... ever see that one??

Cheerio

Roberta

Sorry about the late reply My Computer screen died had to drop it into get repaired :wacko: My mate has lent me a spare screen so I am back online .I was starting to get a little crazy being of the Net for a few days :mad3:

Gday James 1990

Thanks Mate .The bridge does look a little Xtreme I dont think I would want to launch of it on a mountain bike :1yikes:

Gday reefa

Cheers Mate .I found one lonely Blackie at least I found one so cant complain

Gday Wildfish

Thanks Mate

Gday Pmak

Thanks Mate Its always great paddling a new area Any Fish for me is a bonus

Gday Mallacootpete

Thanks Mate I always enjoy padling in the rain . Not sure if there is any scout camps around that area .

who could of mate that bridge it looks well made .

Gday Jenn64

Thanks Mate. Not a bad find an SX48 they are one of my favourite lures .Looking forward to catching up out on the Kayak or a session for pigs of the rocks

Gday Frank P

Thanks Mate

Gday bastik

Thanks Mate . Yeah that arm went up a far way . I think if the tide was up I could of went as little further But I wouldnt want to get stuck up there as it would be a long way back dragging the kayak along . On Google earth it looks like it goes up a far way

damobows

Thanks Mate . When do you get your KingFisher ? And are you Sydney based if so we will have to catch up for a fish

Gday Cobalt

Thanks mate .Its great isnt it so far away from everything .I dont think I would take fish from there as when I went far up the arm it did get a little skanky .

Gday Jewgaffer

Thanks Mate .I enjoy doing reports as much as getting out on the water all part of the fun

Gday Live Bait

Thanks Mate .I have a spare kayak if you are ever keen for a session. Let me know and we will organise it .

Gday Ross Hunter

Cheers Mate

Gday Stillrokn

Thanks Mate .I was glad to finally venture up Mills creek to check it out .It was a great paddle

Gday Mark 84

Thanks Mate I agree beats work anyday and any fish is just a bonus

Gday Roberta

Thanks . And also thankyou for getting that song with the dueling banjos in my head :wacko:

Cheers Ben

• 10 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:32 PM, GoingFishing said:

Perhaps because you dug up an 11 yeAr old report and the technology is no longer available to view those images ???

That would be it haha, was trying to do a bit a research on that creek and would of loved to see the photos. I didn't even look at the date!