Wide Of Browns Mountain

holmes

has anyone heard of any reports of the fin out there?? does anyone no how the raider day went 2day did they see any action on the fin?? planning 2 head out tomorro and want 2 no if there is anything happening out there

regards

boutime

has anyone heard of any reports of the fin out there?? does anyone no how the raider day went 2day did they see any action on the fin?? planning 2 head out tomorro and want 2 no if there is anything happening out there

regards

boutime

Hey mate, there is very very little life out there. We were out today and saw no bird activity, no bait and definately no fin. The water is som of the worst we have seen and is a dirty green all the way to browns. You have to go another 10 mile to get into some blue water where a few boats seemed to have congregated. Regarding the raider day I think Tony on fishfinder got one, but that was the only report for the whole day of any fish caught. Water temp ranged from 18-19.3 out wide, plenty of dolphins and plenty of whales, but sad to say no tuna. We left early so who knows the bight may have picked up, but when we left it showed no signs of doing so. In summary, green water, no fish, beaut condiotions though.

Daniel

Edited by Le Pasha

Stop press!!

Swordie on Broadbill is still steaming in 10 miles offshore as are Fishfinder and Billfisher.

All boats caught a fish - posts will be entered late tonight I expect.

They all had a fabulous day out there with sperm whales, dolphins, albatross and helicopters.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Great day out on Broady with all the lads.

Started a cube trail in 20 degree water which was nice and blue and almost straight away we had a hit and pulled the hook.

Next was a very nice fin that glided into our trail woofing down cubes while we watched.Ross free spooled a pillie straight down its throat and Dave was on strike.We had it on for a few minutes and for some unknown reason the fin power dived and popped the 24 kg between the rod tip and the water line and it went off with a loud bang :ranting2: Goneeeeeeeeeeeee.

Just as we were about to pull stumps and troll home ,Dave started to pull in his pillie and it went off :yahoo:

Dave expertly played his 8 to 10 kg fin and I whipped it out of the water with a nice gaff shot :biggrin2:

High fives all round ,we had 3 hits and the water was awesome,dont know why we didnt see more action ?but thats fishing for you.

Great day with the lads and I thoroughly enjoyed myself being decky for the day again.

post-869-1188042106_thumb.jpg

Cheers Stewy

G'day All ,

Sorry I didnt post this up last night , but we got back a little (lot) later than we had anticipated !!

#1 Son and I met up with our crew at Rose Bay Wharf at 0630 , Evil , GoFishPete , Boban and Fishingrod . Shortly after , the good vessel FISHFINDER arrived at the wharf , and we loaded our gear and set off for the fishing grounds . Our two deckies for the day , Ian and Shane had the coffee ready , and were busy cubing up a small mountain of pillies in readiness for our attack on the YFT.

Once outside the heads , Skipper Tony had a nice spread out the back of the boat , just in case something was interested !!

Water temp was a little cool at 18.4 degrees , but there was little wind , and the seas were smooth . It took us a few hours to find the temp break we had been looking for , but at last we had found the blue water and 19.5 degree stuff that we hoped would hold some good 'fins.

Shane , armed with his small pink shovel , was setting up a nice trail of cubes , and we sorted out who was to get first strike. I was the lucky angler to have first crack at the fin , and we didnt have to wait too long before we were on !!

I was standing by the rod at the rear of the boat , I had just finished stripping out another 20 feet of line , when the reel started to make that sound that we all love :ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Set the drag to Strike , and woohoo!! We are ON . :yahoo: I had a beautiful Fishfinder custom rod , coupled to a Tiagra 50W , and the fish had put a lovely bend in the rod . On with the gymbal belt and harness , and I got a very quick education on just how powerful these fish are . With lots of coaching from Tony and Ian , I gradually started to win back some line , then lost a bit , got it back , lost it again , then got stuck in for the final few minutes to get the fish to the gaff.

Once we had a flash of colour , it was a case of wind when you could see him , and hold him when you couldnt . He was trying to escape by corkscrewing down , but as he was pretty close to the boat , when he was out of sight , he was under the boat. Slowly worked him up , then a big flash of colour , and the cry went up :"Get the gaff!" . We had one scary moment when the line actually touched the side of the boat , but with some quick advice from Tony , I was able to move him further out , and bring him to the surface . Ian sank the gaff , and then called for another , I knew this fish was going to be a good one !!

With 2 gaffs in him , he was very quickly on the deck , 1.3M of prime Yellowfin Tuna !!! :thumbup:

With shaking knees , I replaced the rod in the holder , and baited it up again , while Ian expertly killed and gutted him!! Backslaps and handshakes were the order of the day , but we were out here to catch Tuna , so it was back to work on the rods.

Sadly , after about 6 hours of cubing , mine was the only fish caught . Tony tried every trick in his formidable arsenal , but as the saying goes , thats fishing. We pulled the pin at 4PM , and started the long trip home . We had actually drifted 12 NM , the current was fairly racing along at 3 knots , perhaps this had something to do with the lack of fish.

After about 4 hours , we rounded the heads , and returned to where we had started over 12 hours ago. I was met at the wharf by Mrsflightmanager, who was thrilled at the size of my fish! We wrapped him in plastic , loaded him into the car and headed off for home !!

What a great day for me , my first charter , my first YFT , and my biggest ( by a long way) fish ever.

I would like to thank Tony and his crew , Ian and Shane for all of their help and guidance , these guys are 110% professional , and even though we only got the one fish , Im sure everyone enjoyed their day on the water .

If any of our crew have photos of the day , PM me and I will send you my email address.

post-2063-1188081925_thumb.jpg

Here is a quick video of the capture !!

Ross

HA HA HA we are are all a bit late with the replys funny that!!!!

First of all i want to thank the crew on broadbill for a great day, the fishing was slow to say the least but you could see from the water the guys put us on that we where in the right spot and the temp break was found it was just that the fish weren't playing nice.

We had a long day throwing pillies overboard with no action whatso ever apart from the whales and the occasional boat whodecided to troll through our berley trail then set up cube no more than 40m away in an ocean thats kinda large enough fro everyone not to be in each others pockets!

Long story short we cubed all day for nothing and then pulled up stumps and had a last ditch effort at trolling home for some action!!!!! ITS NOT OVER TILL THE FAT TUNA SINGS, About 30 minutes into the troll for home we got a screaming run on the long rigger and unfortunetely for me i happened to be sitting next to the rod!!!!!! :thumbup: So after a fun fight we boated our only fin for the day!!!! I was just a little bit happy!!!!!

Thanks to all the guys on the boat that helped me keep entertained and a special thanks to the crew who stayed out longer than the had to in order to get us a fish!!!!! :yahoo:

For the guys that didnt catch fish on our boat you have a driver untill you get onto one!!!!!!

The phosphurescents (im sure i buggered up that spelling) blackhawks, and whales was a nice sideshow for the rest of the day!!!!

Oh yeah and i think ross pipped us for biggest fish, The call was for our fish to go to between 28-30kg but alas it was only 118cm to the fork of the tale!!!!! Congrats guys!!!!!

post-4037-1188086050_thumb.jpg

post-4037-1188086072_thumb.jpg

post-4037-1188086089_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishlexic

Now thats a very nice YFT , regardless of the size!! Glad Broady was able to boat one fish at least!!

Id forgotten about that ^%$#* (*^%$&^& moron cruising through our slick as well , just sailed through with no regard to what damage he may have been causing :1badmood::1badmood::1badmood: 30 fet closer and he would have been on the receiving end of a barrage of abuse and snapper leads!!

As I mentioned in my first post , a huge thank you to our 3 skippers , who indeed went far and above the call of duty !! It was a long day for them as well !

Ross

Well done on the yft fellas, 1 per boat is better than none,

We ventured out to Browns lots of boats there, but no fish for us.

penguin

Thats right penguin, at least all the boys got a good feed!!!! shame it wasnt 3 10kg models to share it round a bit but hey what can you do, thats just the nature of the beast!!!!

Funny , he seemed a lot bigger when I was trying to manhandle him into the bath tub last night!!

Having no scales large enough to weigh him whole , we weighed him bit by bit , and give or take a KG or 2 , he weighed about 34KG cleaned, the head on its own a massive 4.5KG.

I spent the morning carving him up , and the afternoon distributing select fillets and steaks to certain friends and relos !! Sushimi straight off the carcass takes a lot of beating , another first for me , hopefully not my last!!

Ross

My photo diary for the day

post-4273-1188135434_thumb.jpg

Ian, one of the two qualified captains on board. He was deckie for the day and someone whose knowledge about commercial tuna fishing is extensive. And it showed. I could listen to him talking about fishing for a while.

post-4273-1188135734_thumb.jpg

Captain Tony and Go Fish Pete

post-4273-1188136223_thumb.jpg

Deckie Shane and Ross

post-4273-1188136568_thumb.jpg

Brett, Rod and Chris

post-4273-1188136642_thumb.jpg

He's on (Lucky No. 3). What's Ian going to do with that glove? Watch out Ross!!!!!!!!

post-4273-1188136777_thumb.jpg

We have colour (and a gaff)

Edited by Boban

post-4273-1188138608_thumb.jpg

The tuna is immobilised permanently by Ian. I can't tell you how quick this all was.

post-4273-1188137292_thumb.jpg

And gutted as if it was a mummy.

post-4273-1188137749_thumb.jpg

No prizes for guessing where the stomach contents came from.

post-4273-1188137986_thumb.jpg

This is what Ian threw at me and said "eat it, it's full of adrenalin". Guys, it was still beating when I put it on the glove. Amazing stuff.

I'll take this opportunity to thank all concerned.

You could see that Tony was really trying hard to find the right water. The look on his face when the temperature was at 17.4 degrees and not moving up, said it all.

Edited by Boban

Well done to all the guys who got fish, top stuff. :thumbup::thumbup:

We went wide as well and fished in 19.2 degrees but didnt turn a reel.

Only interesting part was raising a mako that wasnt interested in our offerings.

Oh well always next time

What a great read. Well done lads, pity there wasn't more on offer, but the learning curve being out there with the best, would have been worth the time out there alone :thumbup:

Thanks for dropping off some of the prized catch Ross, YFT steaks tonight.(I still can't believe how bloody big they are)

That pic of you and that massive swimming torpedo deffinately makes me feel sooooo happy for you....................and me aswell, because my good friend..................YOUR UGLY :074:

Cheers,

Stumpy.

(Now that Ross hehehehe, is called a kiss and a slap :biggrin2: )

This is what Ian threw at me and said "eat it, it's full of adrenalin". Guys, it was still beating when I put it on the glove. Amazing stuff.

Well done guys looks like you all had a great day.

Boban did you eat it?

Dan

The tuna is immobilised permanently by Ian. I can't tell you how quick this all was.

post-4273-1188137292_thumb.jpg

And gutted as if it was a mummy.

post-4273-1188137749_thumb.jpg

No prizes for guessing where the stomach contents came from.

post-4273-1188137986_thumb.jpg

You could see that Tony was really trying hard to find the right water. The look on his face when the temperature was at 17.4 degrees and not moving up, said it all.

Hey Mitch that was an excellent report. Mate the photos were terrific.

Hey Mitch reckon we get hold of some tuna hearts for jew bait when we next fish Hawkesbury.

I reckon the bigger jew couldn't wait to eat a Tuna's heart as a get square for what they do to smaller jew around reefs :wacko: . Yep tuna hearts would be well worth a try :1prop:

Another great report, Mitch :thumbup:

Best Regards

Jewgaffer :1fishing1: