Interesting Way To Catch Bream

arpie

Hi guys

Was paddling around the oyster leases this morning when I saw what appeared to be a crab trap just inside one of the leases. It was tied to the external wall, so the owner doesn't need to actually go in to retrieve it - just heave it out over the fence. It had a mullet carcass in it as bait. No name tag or float on it.

It was fairly shallow water & I could see something moving in it, so I pulled it just out off the the water to see how many crabs were in it. The answer - NONE!

But there were 3 nice bream in - one over 35cm!

Talk about an easy way to catch bream??

post-2231-1188101265_thumb.jpg

What is your opinion of this practise? Is this just a bycatch?

Cheers

Roberta

Hi guys

Was paddling around the oyster leases this morning when I saw what appeared to be a crab trap just inside one of the leases. It was tied to the external wall, so the owner doesn't need to actually go in to retrieve it - just heave it out over the fence. It had a mullet carcass in it as bait. No name tag or float on it.

It was fairly shallow water & I could see something moving in it, so I pulled it just out off the the water to see how many crabs were in it. The answer - NONE!

But there were 3 nice bream in - one over 35cm!

Talk about an easy way to catch bream??

post-2231-1188101265_thumb.jpg

What is your opinion of this practise? Is this just a bycatch?

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Roberta. As a young bloke I worked on the hawkesbury leases and that looks like a fish trap similar to one we used.Im pretty sure we were allowed to have a trap on each lease back then.As kids we used to love to see a few decimated trays when we got to a lease because we new we would get a good feed when we lifted the trap! We caught everything from mostly bream and your beloved blackis to crabs and even a small lobster once!So being as it was tied to the lease id say its the same thing.

Cheers Brad...

PS we didn`t even bait our trap back then (Ah the good old days when the HR was alive!!!!)

Roberta

Edited by johnno