North Head Sunday

Kiwi Dan

Gday all,

Went out yesterday to have a go at some squid at the spit, got there about 3am and started drifting around. After 3 hours with not one tug we pulled the pin and decided to fish the high tide in middle harbor. After 2 more hours of nothing we decided to fire up the burner and wack on some sausages. Once we were done we decided to hit the harbor. We trolled around Grotto point to the bommie for nothing and then decided to anchor up at Grotto but again got nothing.

We agreed that this was f@#$$ so decided to head to south head for a look. Got out there and after 10 minutes FINALLY Steves rods on the bend. After a short fight Steve lands this solid size leatherjacket.

post-4176-1188186327_thumb.jpg

Steve also had a good fight on a port jackson which he lost at the boat but we werent cut up about that.

We decided to head over to the front of North head for a half an hour and this is where it got better and made the 9 hours for only 1 fish worth while. Steve was feeling a little worse for wear so decided to lay down and try sleep it off. I continued to fish and said would head back in 10 minutes, he fell asleep so i thought hmmmmm surely he wont mind if I stay out a little longer. About 30 minutes later i noticed a something floating across the surface about 20 meters away. I kicked Steve to get up once i made out it was a massive cuttle fish.

post-4176-1188186669_thumb.jpg post-4176-1188187463_thumb.jpg

I turned over the boat and headed straight for it. It was floating along the top still alive but it had been smashed from something as it had junks missing from it. We drove right next to it and scooped it up. It weighed about 5 kgs i reckon and we were stoked!! We headed in straight after that as the footy was about to start. When we got back to tunks I cut it up and bagged it in snaplock bags hopefully to convert into kingies later on. I got 8 sandwhich bags full ready to go in the freezer. I would have loved to have hooked into whatever took junks out of it!! I wish squid and cuttles were this easy to catch all the time!!

Also when we were coming in we followed a pod of dolphins from along the rocks from the heads all the way down past the quarintine bouy. We tossed pillies to them and followed them to try and get some good pics. There would have been at least 20 of them. Can anyone tell me if it is against the rules around following dolphins. I made sure i wasnt too close but we didnt know if we were actually allowed to or not.

Great weather as well!!

Cheers

Dan

That cuttle will give you quite a few sessions of bait :thumbup:

As long as the cuttle hasn't touched fresh water, has no air in the bags and is wrapped in newspaper it can keep for AGES.

Good luck on targetting the Kings with them.

IFS

ive been travelling along around 10-15m along side a group of dolphins and they come over to do some aerobatics less than 1m from the boat then dive in under the boat less than 1m under the boat then launch out the other sid! as far as im aware dolphins are ok its the whales you have to stay away from!

if not then the dolphins definatly dont play by the rules!

hope you can get some kings on those bags of bait! :biggrin2:

Gday all,

Went out yesterday to have a go at some squid at the spit, got there about 3am and started drifting around. After 3 hours with not one tug we pulled the pin and decided to fish the high tide in middle harbor. After 2 more hours of nothing we decided to fire up the burner and wack on some sausages. Once we were done we decided to hit the harbor. We trolled around Grotto point to the bommie for nothing and then decided to anchor up at Grotto but again got nothing.

We agreed that this was f@#$$ so decided to head to south head for a look. Got out there and after 10 minutes FINALLY Steves rods on the bend. After a short fight Steve lands this solid size leatherjacket.

post-4176-1188186327_thumb.jpg

Steve also had a good fight on a port jackson which he lost at the boat but we werent cut up about that.

We decided to head over to the front of North head for a half an hour and this is where it got better and made the 9 hours for only 1 fish worth while. Steve was feeling a little worse for wear so decided to lay down and try sleep it off. I continued to fish and said would head back in 10 minutes, he fell asleep so i thought hmmmmm surely he wont mind if I stay out a little longer. About 30 minutes later i noticed a something floating across the surface about 20 meters away. I kicked Steve to get up once i made out it was a massive cuttle fish.

post-4176-1188186669_thumb.jpg post-4176-1188187463_thumb.jpg

I turned over the boat and headed straight for it. It was floating along the top still alive but it had been smashed from something as it had junks missing from it. We drove right next to it and scooped it up. It weighed about 5 kgs i reckon and we were stoked!! We headed in straight after that as the footy was about to start. When we got back to tunks I cut it up and bagged it in snaplock bags hopefully to convert into kingies later on. I got 8 sandwhich bags full ready to go in the freezer. I would have loved to have hooked into whatever took junks out of it!! I wish squid and cuttles were this easy to catch all the time!!

Also when we were coming in we followed a pod of dolphins from along the rocks from the heads all the way down past the quarintine bouy. We tossed pillies to them and followed them to try and get some good pics. There would have been at least 20 of them. Can anyone tell me if it is against the rules around following dolphins. I made sure i wasnt too close but we didnt know if we were actually allowed to or not.

Great weather as well!!

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan hardy leather jacket activity is a good sign of shutdown for other species and are blackfish, revs & yakkas, and you sure did cover a good bit of ground .

I thought you would have rigged that cuttlefish and waited fish following it might have got spooked and mate they never forget the work they put in to maim their prey and they always come back for it later.

Any problem for you to do a time, tides and conditions report? and post it in my other topic or Pm it over to me to pass on a summary of the reports to hand to Donna, mrsswordfisherman

Cheers Dan

and thanks for offering to help with the reports as I was pretty down from my back op. and with the flu real bad, I tell ya

Regards

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Ps. Dan, apart from high quality woolen ones, do they have any jackets back home in New Zealand?

great cuttle mate well done and good work on the tasty jacket.

I can garuntee it would have been some nice snapper picking away at that cuttly its almost a given. Next time try pitching an unweighted white stick bait next to the cuttly and hang on. Say G day to Adriain fo me at stryker tomorrow

I can garuntee it would have been some nice snapper picking away at that cuttly its almost a given. Next time try pitching an unweighted white stick bait next to the cuttly and hang on. Say G day to Adriain fo me at stryker tomorrow

yeah im regretting not putting something down next to it but my mate wasnt well so i turned back.