Hot Bite In The Racks Today

arpie

Hi guys

Got out on the water by 7am this morning & only saw a few bream boats out :thumbup: Less Wash for a tied up yak!! :yahoo:

The water was a lot clearer than this morning but still brackish & I was hoping to hit Spot X just before slack tide, as the water fairly rips thru this section normally once it has turned! When I went back to shore yesterday, I paddled back up to where I hooked the nice one & paddled across the top of the lease (with the water rushing full-pelt onto the fence .... as against going with the flow on the two other sides where I caught the 40cm one last week!) I had great difficulty in even paddling, le alone stop being belted against the oyster covered fence!! Hence my use of the Minnow, which is already a bit battle scarred (as against my Hobie which is still pretty!) I wasn't making much headway & was actually using the fence to propel me forward by hand, not worrying too much about the scratches, as I couldn't get the paddle into the water quickly enough after 'shoving off' to be of any affect!! Not for the faint hearted or the novice!!

Be warned, just because you are in a yak doesn't mean you don't get into trouble!! After the June downpours, I was in the same area & was positively scared when trying to make a run for home! :( I took the easy route home today!! :1prop:

First cast & I get busted off by another whopper! Hmmm, here we go again! This time I was fishing the other side of the black fence, as the tide was still just coming in! Put a new hook on & try again - this time a definite down & I'm on!! Managed to skull drag him away from the fence, then he took a dive into some debris on the lease floor! Damn!! He wasn't coming out, so I loosened off the line a bit, to give him some slack & out he popped (with a bit off assistance by me!) He went back & forth trying to find a pole to bust off, but I managed to net him before he could! :yahoo:

Had another two hookups that got off & then the water had finally slowed to a speed that I could try the 'gutter' I fished yesterday! :biggrin2:

It seemed that I could do nothing much wrong today (except another bustoff later ..) as I got blackie after blackie!! I couldn't believe it! Only one was 30cm - all the rest between 35 & 38cm! Nice fat fish. I was on a roll!! You can only fish this gutter for about an hour before the tide starts flowing too fast & just takes you straight into the fence & poles. Dropped a few that would have been high 30's as well! Most of them gave me a good tussle & I had to steer them away from the fences to the right and the left!! Even the little 30cm fish gave me some stick! Much different than fishing the breakwall!! The degree of difficulty goes up 300% I got 7 all up.

Lots of fun & I shall be giving 5 of them to my buddies at the boatshed that allowed us to fish there during the Social in June! (All skinned, filleted, crumbed & frozen, of course!) That'll give them a couple of meals.

3 of the bigger ones!

post-2231-1188198072_thumb.jpg

A great day out on the water - if the other half :wife: will let me, I might just go out again tomorrow!! So much fun! Now I know the tide a bit better! I bet it would work on low tide as well - have only tried high tide so far!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

hi Roberta,

:thumbup: .well done for another good luderick session... fishing those racks looks like great fun and a bit heartbreaking at times... next time im up i might bring my rooster boat and try the racks also.... ive fished those rack areas for bream a couple of times and saw how that current rages through.... theres some great fish there and they sure know where safety lies when hooked......

Edited by roosterman

Hi guys

It really was fun - as Steve says, a bit heartbreaking as well .... but you have to roll with the punches! If you give up after your first tackle loss/stuffup you would never go back & try again! That is why we all love fishing so much (especially blackies!) - every day presents a different challenge! You never stop learning!

Steve - it would be great to try them from a boat - bring it up & let us know when you do! It is much harder being in a yak, basically at 'water level', to try & apply pressure to a big fish bent on escaping! If i could reach for the sky, it wouldn't be high enough - and where I was fishing, you were reaching over a fence that was about face level as well! Watched a local 'gun bream' fisho today, so now know where he gets most of his fish (on handlines & strips of mullet!) and saw another blackie fisho that I thought was a bit 'excessive' in his burleying .... used a spade to reef stuff off structure as berley (where other locals rely on getting weed & cabbage!) A bit naughty, I thought! Ironically, same spot as the bream fisho - different tides!

Hi Pete - yep - tried the black queen with the Alvey reel on Sat for a Zilch tally (which I didn't report on!!) Methinks I have a lot to learn about Alveys!!! :mad3: I faired better with it off the breakwall on a full sized rod, but was still not as comfortable as with my spin reels. :wacko: I will put a spin reel on it (black queen) & give it another go - as I am sure I will not pull the hook from as many as it is so bendy! In a boat situation where you are fishing a channel without structure, it would be perfect!! When do you use yours (in preference to your other blackie rods?) My yak blackie rod currently, is basically a 6-7ft slightly bendy rod! It is about the 4th one I have tried out from the ???? how many I have! You have to be able to turn their heads in the racks! You don't get a second chance! Even when I thought I had one 'in the bag' it busted me off!

Hi Cam - you know the spot well - back before they added those internal/infernal walls!! We got those nice flatties there & that bream of yours that hid in the structure & I used the underwater lens to find it!! Look forward to getting you into it again, but for blackies! I reckon, with some good concentration, we should be able to fish it with a boat ..... but it will be difficult!

Cheers

Roberta

Forgot to say, they were all caught on cabbage I had collected from the racks (before the old grump got to it!)

Edited by Roberta

Hi Dan

You would love it!! A bit different from bream taking a lure when in or near the racks - you don't get the 'tap tap' as an indication of a bite - the float just disappears in a nanosecond & you have to assume you have a big one on & immediately try & steer them away from the structure (which you are surrounded with!!!)

Fantastic fun!

Cheers

Roberta