A Few More Snapper

Boban

Well, what strange day, but nevertheless a good one in the end.

With a prediction of 10-15 knots and a 1-1.5m swell we figured that it would be a good day to say hello to some snapper. It doesn't always work out that way. "We" included Go Fish Pete, my mate Mark and my father (who suffered a stroke not too long ago).

The seas were a mess when we rounded the heads and it looked like it was going to be slow going, especially with my father on board. The 10-15 looked more like 25-30. He felt sick and we had to turn back to Port Hacking to try calmer waters. Not what we were looking forward to, but still fishing. Here are some pictures of the monsters on offer.

post-4273-1188393349_thumb.jpgpost-4273-1188393380_thumb.jpg

As we were drifting we noticed that the wind was dying down and the white caps had disappeared. With the leatherjackets biting us off we decided to head down to the humps. This was a 2.00pm. Before that Pete picked up a nice leatherjacket and a few smaller models as well. and Mark had managed a decent flattie and OS Rock Cod.

post-4273-1188393730_thumb.jpg

Upon arriving at the Humps we notice some birds working, however they were too quick for us. As soon as we located the snapper spot Mark and Pete picked up two pan sized models.

post-4273-1188394157_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boban

We then saw this bloke in his magnificent fishing vessel and had bit of chat about the day. I dont think I need to say it, but Ross knows his stuff and is a top bloke to boot. If you want to get onto the snapper then get a group together and "do yourself a favour".

post-4273-1188394333_thumb.jpg

After moving a bit as suggested by Ross, we picked up a few more pan sized models and a nice morwong to round off a nice day. We were also entertained by slimeys, yakkas and sweep. Then the fish-stealer arrived. A seal that literally pulled the fish off our hooks. They gotta eat too I suppose.

post-4273-1188394424_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the photos, the weather turned out to be almost perfect and very comfortable. We ended up staying until after dark. I got home at 9.30pm after a 4.30am start, so I am a little tired given that I had only 4 hours sleep to begin with.

I have to thank Mark, Pete, Stewy and Ross for their assistance. You guys know what I'm talking about.

Its days like this that make me realise what a great bunch of blokes frequent this forum.

Good on ya mate.

A fun and rewarding day. I hope to get down the humps over the next month. My little Quinnie should get me down there no worries just pick a nice day for comfort sakes. Your right the forum is full of great folks and with the Swordies in charge were going in the right direction. I spent a day on Broady with Ross early in this Snapper season and your right he is a great bloke and knows his stuff. He is a very contented man up there on the flybridge and he gives you the best possible options to put a smile on ya dial.

Well done

Hope your dad recovers 100% and enjoys his fishing for many years to come.

Russ

Dammmmmm I am spewing :1badmood: I was asked by Mitch to accompany them to the Hump for the day and then Ross asked if I could decky for him again and I had to work :ranting2:

Good result lads and its good to see other Fishraiders helping each other :yahoo:

Thats what this site is all about and there are plenty of fish for all of us :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Mitch,

thanks for your kind words.... Yes! I know what you mean we really punched it all the way into 17 to 19 knots of south wind...I sort of thought it was going to back off and it did eventually. We caught 13 snapper 5 morwong and a few jackets It was a

'chipping away" day for us with every snapper earned We released maybe 8 just legals Biggest fish was about 1-5 kg.....The area is not fishing that well at the moment but that will change as the moon wains.

Thanks for you company

Ross

We then saw this bloke in his magnificent fishing vessel and had bit of chat about the day. I dont think I need to say it, but Ross knows his stuff and is a top bloke to boot. If you want to get onto the snapper then get a group together and "do yourself a favour".

post-4273-1188394333_thumb.jpg

After moving a bit as suggested by Ross, we picked up a few more pan sized models and a nice morwong to round off a nice day. We were also entertained by slimeys, yakkas and sweep. Then the fish-stealer arrived. A seal that literally pulled the fish off our hooks. They gotta eat too I suppose.

post-4273-1188394424_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the photos, the weather turned out to be almost perfect and very comfortable. We ended up staying until after dark. I got home at 9.30pm after a 4.30am start, so I am a little tired given that I had only 4 hours sleep to begin with.

I have to thank Mark, Pete, Stewy and Ross for their assistance. You guys know what I'm talking about.

Its days like this that make me realise what a great bunch of blokes frequent this forum.

Gee Mitch you are as keen as mustard. I don't know how you do it in between court, attending to clients and all the other work a solicitor has to attend to. I suppose you do have the opportunity to keep your mind working in a nice atmosphere as you watch your rod tips.

At the moment there is certainly plenty of time in between fish.

Nice to see your dad having a day on the fishing. He has such a natural love of the sport.

Thumbs up to Ross Hunter for putting you on to good snapper in close.

That sought of knowledge takes years and years to accumulate.

Ross may consider pointing out a few easy to fish spots for the benefit others wanting to fish in close.

Having such good information would be an asset to those members who unable or unwilling to venture out to sea.

Regards Mitch and please say hello to your dad.

Cheers,

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks for the kind words fellas.

My dad certainly enjoyed the fresh feed. Today it was Maori wrasse for lunch (one of his favourite fish) and grilled slimies for dinner (yes thats right, slimies). Tomorrow its Snapper for lunch. As my mother said, he will eat the same thing everyday, as long as its fish.

We'll have to get together again Byron. You and my father would make an entertaining couple I think.

My father enjoyed the day, notwithstanding that he wanted to go home. When asked if he would go again even for the length of time we went today he "I like to go even if I can't catch anything. I like to be on the boat just to see".

I must also thank Fishfinder Tony for showing me how to set up a rod for my father. Very simple but effective. Without your idea, he would not have been able to fish at all.

I've finished cleaning the boat now and its almost a shame to get it dirty again. But it will very soon.

Thanks Dave. You will have come one day. Just let me know what days you are available.

That's a nice offer Mitch. Dave's landbased and a good bloke and lives out my way in the south west and could easy get two birds with one sinker and going on Amature Dave's photo, we may well have to keep him out of the wind :074:

Cheers

Byron

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Well done Boban

Look like a great day out, very hard to beat with conditions like that, no wonder you stayed out.

I have not been a member for long but your right what a great bunch and like Jewgaffer mentioned throwing resources that take a lifetime to learn are priceless.

Billythekid :1prop: