Browns 01/09/07

offtap1

With bureau predicting easing winds later in day and turning Easterly we decided Browns would be the go, Me,Outdodad,On Edge and buddy Dave hit Botany for livie fish for several quick Yakkas and a Slimie before venturing outside, caught up with Brett and crew on TunOFun at bait grounds, went out in quite sloppy conditions with no sign of easing but pushed on hoping predictions would come through, but all we got was conditions worsening.Kept in touch via radio to Fishlexic who was trying his luck with a spread out(Cheers Buddy) Found 18.9 deg at shelf and spotted a surface swimming Beakie that wouldnt come to the party, im sure that was odd for this time of year. Found 19.2 deg at browns and decided that cube was out of the question as drift and sea conditions were less than desirable so Bottom bash was the go, first drop and Dave hooks up with a nice Gemmie and nanagie, the Nanagie had taken a live Yakka almost the same size as him, back in with the Nanagie and the Gemmie went in the kill tank to bleed, next drop was Caige and instant hook up to double Gemmies , me next and again another double on Gems, changed location and after the fourth drop with no hook up i dropped and waited all of about a minute before hooking a Blue Eye to 8kg which gave a good showing all the way to top, conditions even worsened by now so decided on slow bash back in. Great company and a good feed, Caige and Dave broke there virginity on Gemmies while Ray slept off an OD of Travel Calm. :074:

Back inside with Caige all smiles.

post-1870-1188640096_thumb.jpgpost-1870-1188640116_thumb.jpg

A table fit for a king

post-1870-1188640138_thumb.jpg

We stuck our heads outside the bay and decided against it, the time was about 11.00am with very limpy conditions.

Did you guys hear the mayday distress call?, a trawler ran up onto the rocks between Sydney and botany.

Im getting sick of these non attempts, over the last several weeks and 5 attempts we have only got out once.

:1badmood:

Well done Dave. Top Feed.

As I mentioned today, we didnt get a thing on our Kingy hunt. We apparently missed the early morning bite....

Hey guys didnt realise that was you untill we left 12 mile, that was us that trolled up dropped a few livies real quick gave you a wave then headed for home!!! Bad luck on the jigging, we didnt see to much on the sounder when we were there so we gave it a miss pretty quickly. Next time!!!!

Nice work on the catch offtap, we ended up heading home with one flattie that we caught in the morning and about 15 yakkas that were released to fight another day after spending a nice day travelling the seas in a live bait tank. Pleased to say all yakas swam off like troopers!!!! Didnt turn a reel all day on the troll even though we found water up to 19.6 and a nice colour,worked the temp brakes but alas we could not do any more!!!! Geeze those photos you took make it look far calmer than the swell actually was yesterday. That was the first time we have kept in contact with other raiders on the water and hopefully not the last. Thanks again offtap and well done on the catch!!!!

Craig

We stuck our heads outside the bay and decided against it, the time was about 11.00am with very limpy conditions.

Did you guys hear the mayday distress call?, a trawler ran up onto the rocks between Sydney and botany.

Im getting sick of these non attempts, over the last several weeks and 5 attempts we have only got out once.

:1badmood:

Hey mate we didnt hear about the trawler but there was an old wooden boat that ran aground on middle head which there was alot of comotion about but we saw sea tow giving them a ride into middle harbour when we came in, also on our way out in the morning there was a yatch high and dry on the rock in middle harbour... not sure if someone parked a bit to close to the edge at high tide or it had just brocken a mouring and drifted but either way it looked expensive!!!!!!! :depression:

thanks for a great day at browns ,cant wait to sink my teeth into the geemies and thanks 4 a fillet of your blue eye remember if you need a deckie phones on 24\7 wont let you down remember gave up 17 year wedding anniversary to ride on off tap by the way wife said :wife: but :05: thank again

p.s im wrigthing from matts account xib.

thanks from dave

Geeze those photos you took make it look far calmer than the swell actually was yesterday. That was the first time we have kept in contact with other raiders on the water and hopefully not the last. Thanks again offtap and well done on the catch!!!!

Craig

Hi Craig nice to catch up on radio, im out most Saturdays so give us a call when your out next, good to keep in touch while out covering different areas, PS. the pics of Caige holding fish were taken back in bay, ill add an off shore pic.

post-1870-1188686838_thumb.jpg

thanks for a great day at browns ,cant wait to sink my teeth into the geemies and thanks 4 a fillet of your blue eye remember if you need a deckie phones on 24\7 wont let you down remember gave up 17 year wedding anniversary to ride on off tap by the way wife said :wife: but :05: thank again

p.s im wrigthing from matts account xib.

thanks from dave

Anytime Dave, great to have u aboard, hopefully next time in some better conditions, and maybe get to use that Wattos trap bait next time for a YFT or 3. Now you will have to register with FR maybe as "Chucky2" and Ray might have to change to "Travel Calm Junkie" and dont forget to register for "The Back to the Bay Social Sep 16th". Cheers Dave

Guest MRS WATTO

Well done Caige (Once again)

Great report Dave and great catch. Too bad about Poor Ray feeling really sick. Maybe he will stop teasing others when they get sea sick :074::074::074:

PS Remember Peita and I are willing to be deckies??????????????????????????????????????

See ya down Callala Beach this weekend

Adam

after last weekend at Browns I have the same sentiment

that if you can't find the pelagics then at least you can do

a quick drop over the mountain for gemmies or blue eye

if you have something set up for the long drop

Dave

nice to see Team Offtap still getting out there when the

conditions would hold most of us back, you can see why

the Cougarcraft are sooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeet a ride

Nice haul :thumbup: I'm starting to have withdrawl after

eating gemmies all week 'cause they're all gone now :1yikes:

mmmmmmmm spiced and pan fried :drool:

Chris

Nice catch well done, think we should invest in a deep sea reel.. why sort do you use and what would you recommend for browns.

It would be cool to go home with a feed even when the pelagic species dont want to play.

Adam

Hi Adam i personally use a small electric reel on rod but believe after using a deep sea winch "Alvey Reef Queen" loaded with much larger braid ie. 200lb believe you get much better hook up rate as you generally hand line (with gloves of course) while line on bottom for a much better direct feel for hits. Also holding the rod while retrieving a big weighted fish and 3kg sinker becomes unbearable with excessive back strain after short time even with harness, we are talking about retrieving in excess of 500mts of line. I will be looking into a Reef Queen or King soon my self. Cheers Dave

Edited by offtap1

Dave

sounds like you need to make a rod rack

to hold the stick while you push the up button

slotted tube with a gusset reinforced bed to

lay the rod in made from tube with ID to fit

butt and fore grip cut to suit

hope the pic gives you some ideas :biggrin2:

post-3054-1188724340_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I was fishing off the third runway in a red and white haines hunter when you guy's went past. I could not help notice that boat of yours is awsome nice graphics too. What type of boat is it? if you don't mind me asking.

cheers

The red dragon

Custom Built 6.9m Hard Top CougarCraft, Put in search for " Cougar Craft 6.9m " to see build process Cheers Dave.

Edited by offtap1