Dolphins At The Spit

humesy

Howdy,

Saw a very cool thing on Saturday night while having a fish. Under Spit Bridge was teaming with yakkas hitting the surface. I heard a big blowy sort of sound which I thought was a huge squid squirting water. Then saw a dolphin dive staight under the back of the boat. There were 2 of them I think, just little babies but they hung around chasing the yakkas for about 15 minutes. How great is that!

The fishing side of things was a bit slow but I did manage to stock the freezer with some squid for upcoming beach sessions. I also managed to hit the beach last night with a few butterflied yakkas and managed an almost identical catch to last tuesday. 1 Tailor for dinner, 2 banjos and a good sized salmon (65cm) which seemed to fight like a jewie. Oh well.

Edited by humesy

Nice one humesy,

Got to love mother nature putting on a show for you while your already doing something you love doing!!!!! I think we have seen about a total of probably 50+ whales and about 200+ dolphins in the last two outings alone!!!!!

Hi Humesy,

was that Saturday night Sunday monring? We got to the spit about 4am and those dolphins came through. It was great watching them smashing the yakkas, a couple times they must have hit some big ones cause there were a couple big splashes directly under the bridge, was too dark to see.

were you in a boat or landbased?

cheers

Dan

Good report Humesy. It must have been sensational seeing the dolphins.

Well done on the squid, tailor and salmon.

I was wondering how you rig the butterflied yakkas on the beach? I've never tried that. Can you explain the rig?

Cheers

Peter

G'day Dan,

I was there between about 7 and 10 (in a boat) on Saturday night. They must have come back for a second helping.

Peter,

My rig is fairly simple. Either ball or star sinker depending on current down to a swivel. Then 60cm of trace with 2 8/0's snelled about 15 cm apart. the bottom hook is pinned through one flap of the fish and the top hook goes under the chin and out through the top of the head. It is exactly the same rig featured on the jewfish secrets DVD.

I spoke to a bloke who was squidding with me on Saturday night who obviously knew his stuff about the butterfly rig. He said he takes one flag of the fish and folds it back over the head and pins it through the eye and then out through the flap. This is to stop a jewie (my main target/obsession) from picking up the bait with the flap without the hook. Makes sense to me and I gave it a go last night but found you need a whopper hook at the top to go through the head and the flap.

Hope this helps.

Edited by humesy

Peter,

My rig is fairly simple. Either ball or star sinker depending on current down to a swivel. Then 60cm of trace with 2 8/0's snelled about 15 cm apart. the bottom hook is pinned through one flap of the fish and the top hook goes under the chin and out through the top of the head. It is exactly the same rig featured on the jewfish secrets DVD.

I spoke to a bloke who was squidding with me on Saturday night who obviously knew his stuff about the butterfly rig. He said he takes one flag of the fish and folds it back over the head and pins it through the eye and then out through the flap. This is to stop a jewie (my main target/obsession) from picking up the bait with the flap without the hook. Makes sense to me and I gave it a go last night but found you need a whopper hook at the top to go through the head and the flap.

That's great humesy. Many thanks. I'm going to give that a go the next time I get some yakkas. Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Peter