Installing Transom Mount Bait Tank

Robbielites

Hi.

I have finally got around to designing a bait tank for my transom and I am about to have it made up. I have spent a bit of time measuring and getting things right and even did a 3D CAD drawing for the manufacturer (No excuses) so that bit is all sweet.

My next problem is my reluctance to cut a friggin 450 x 300 hole in the back of my pride and joy. :1prop:

I am quite happy on the tools, but would like some advice about the best way to cut the hole so as it does not distort the aluminum around the area. I was originally thinking of using an angle grinder but was worried about the heat. So then thought about using a jigsaw but am not sure if that will buckle the alloy as well.

Also will there be any issues with structural integrity?

The top sides are 3mm from memory; the tank will be 1.6mm

Any input is appreciated...

Cheers.

Robbie.

The shaded area is where the tank will go...

DSC_4795acopy.jpg

Another view... with a blatant plug for our hosts :1prop:

DSC_4796.jpg

hI rob,

You have two choices A jigsaw on low speed or an angle grinder as you said.You can now buy alluminium blades for angle grinders!! If you have a 4 inch grinder you can buy the blades from any bunnings.

One little tip:- if you use the grinder put masking tape where you want to cut this will make it much easier to control the grinder leaving you with a much neater cut.

good luck!!

If you use a jigsaw on too higher speed the alluminium will start to melt against the blade and clog it up so you will know if your going to fast and with the grinder the paint will blister long before the alluminium will buckle so just keep your eye on it as you cut...

Edited by bigears2u

You can hire nibblers from many of the larger hire places Rob, not expensive and will allow a very neat job.

GT

Good point sqizzy never even thought of that and I have a set of nibblers and sheers at my feet as a reminder to take them tomorrow :074:

Only thing is nibblers are only going to cut sheet metal and not plate so check the thickness of material before you hire.

P.S my father has an old friend by the same name could it be you? my father is Wal Ludwig??

Hi.

I have finally got around to designing a bait tank for my transom and I am about to have it made up. I have spent a bit of time measuring and getting things right and even did a 3D CAD drawing for the manufacturer (No excuses) so that bit is all sweet.

My next problem is my reluctance to cut a friggin 450 x 300 hole in the back of my pride and joy. :1prop:

I am quite happy on the tools, but would like some advice about the best way to cut the hole so as it does not distort the aluminum around the area. I was originally thinking of using an angle grinder but was worried about the heat. So then thought about using a jigsaw but am not sure if that will buckle the alloy as well.

Also will there be any issues with structural integrity?

The top sides are 3mm from memory; the tank will be 1.6mm

Any input is appreciated...

Cheers.

Robbie.

The shaded area is where the tank will go...

DSC_4795acopy.jpg

Another view... with a blatant plug for our hosts :1prop:

DSC_4796.jpg

Robbie

Do NOT use a angle grinder, way to much heat, also the carb coming off the blade will melt through you paint in spots all over. A Jigsaw with correct blades should be okay, if the sheet is 2.4mm thick try and get some blades with approx 2mm pitch, if 1.6mm try 1.5mm pitch, you want as large as pitch as possibale always keeping a tooth in contact other wise it will jump.Keep plenty of downward pressure on the jigsaw. By almeans use masking tape and a guide. WD40 or kero make excellent alloy lubes when cutting and will stop blades picking up/clogging. Use a holesaw in each corner to allow access for you blades and keeps the corners neat. A nibbler will distort the alloy as well. The only thing better would be a dedicated alloy cutting pneumatic circular saw with 3" blade. But these are very hard to get.

Just remember measure/align 27 times and cut once.

Also check throughly in the corner of the transom underneath, the quintrex's have a second plate of alloy under where the bollard is.

Edited by achjimmy

Gday

We both own the same boat I would recommend you install in the other side as your ladder will be in the way

Just relocate the battery on the ladder side and your sweet If you want a look at mine your more than welcome

Good advice. You'll have a built in live bait tank with easy access and less problems.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Frank,

I wish it was that easy... :)

I have a dual battery system, and an oil tank sitting on those two shelves under the transom, also all of the wires from the motor come in on the Starboard side and get distributed out to thier respective homes.

The ladder is an issue, but one I can live with as I would rather have to put the ladder up and down than rewire the boat, so the port side is the go at the moment.

That bait board looks like my next project :)

Cheers.

Robbie.

Frank,

I wish it was that easy... :)

I have a dual battery system, and an oil tank sitting on those two shelves under the transom, also all of the wires from the motor come in on the Starboard side and get distributed out to thier respective homes.

The ladder is an issue, but one I can live with as I would rather have to put the ladder up and down than rewire the boat, so the port side is the go at the moment.

That bait board looks like my next project :)

Cheers.

Robbie.

Robbie I should have known you would have already considered that option. I am not familiar with other lay out options on your boat . Is there any way you can rearrange the other stuff?

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Jigsaws are a pain but if you do use one cover your paint with cloth duck tape. Use a small drill 4 holes in a row to start and initially use "corner blade" to start cut then go for straight blade and back to corner blade at each corner as they can turn a really small radius and no need to drill each corner. You could reuse your cut out as the lid if ou are neat and use a guide for straight sections.

You can also try a recrorpricating saw if you own one as with a longer stroke it is a faster job.

Mate the way Wetpatch has done his, is the way to go, to close to the corner can weaken the area. When cutting out the hole use the jigsaw, and lubricate the blade with WD40, you should not have a problem I have cut holes in 10ml plate no problem with the jigsaw and mask the area out to protect the paint work. Just use a drill bit to drill a hole large enough to start and you'll be right. Also remember, if useing jigsaw make sure the saw has completely stopped before lifting it out while cutting and keep lubricating with the WD40

Cheers

Edited by Dorado 2

gday Robbielites, if you don't intend on using the cut out piece use it for a couple of practice cuts so that you get a feel for the tool of choice. Personally i think i would be more inclined to use a jigsaw for the job, also have a word with a sheet metal shop or someone that does alum.welding for a living.Possibly a cougar craft manufacturer

Good luck with it, as mentioned earlier measure way to many times check and re check,then make one cut.