Handheld Gps

Nolongeramember

I normally wouldnt comment on a topic im not up-to-speed on.

I know that 12 channel parrallel units are a great upgrade over the older 6-8 channel jobs.

Im not even sure if you would ever have reception from 16 satellites available at the same time. In this case it it may sound good on paper, but actually no benefit in real life. You may need to do some research. I cannot comment for sure.

Rod

G,day Raiders.

As far as I know any GPS unit wheather it have 6,8,12 or 16 chanels will track those that are available but will only communicate with three at any given time. The reason for this is that the units program needs three different points to triangulate, or calculate the units global position. So if I am correct and please advise me if this is not so, the more satelites that are available to be tracked and used in the calculations the better. :thumbup:

In saying that most hand held units, leaning more to the inexpensive side of things are 12 chanel which is more than enough.

Just my opinion, cheers. :1prop:

G,day Roylo.

GPS units will drop out under certain conditions, the type of antenna used, the two most common used "the patch antenna and the quadra helix antenna the latter being the better of the two, most commonly found in you more expensive units.

Other reasons for dropping out the signal will drop out at times when there is something blocking the signals path ( magnetic fields, such as over head power, being inside a building, inside a cave or tunnel and in some circumstances dense tree canopies can affect the signal more often than not with the patch antenna.

Gps will depending on the temperature take longer in colder conditions to lock on to the satelites than when it is warm.

As for the ammount of satelites the unit can track, the unit will only communicate with three at any given time. So what I meen here is that if a unit is capable of tracking 6,8, 12 or 16 satelites it will log on or track as many of these satelites it can pick up, but still only communicate or send and recieve data from three "noting that not all satelites are in the same hemisphere at the same time" so there for it will track as many as it can, when one drops out it has already locked on to the next satelite available, it will then continue to search for the satelite that has dropped out until it becomes available again, so more is better, but I still say 12 is enough.

And GPS is quite easy to use these days.

Cheers.

Cool, thanks. Ill stick with the 12 then and see if I can get the quadra helix antenna if possible, if there available built in on a handheld.

Just go the Garmin. Proven Reliable and good pricing. I still have my first Garmin 65 on my yacht. Still working. 15yrs old this year. GPS72 fine for a basic point to point and Position unit. They do others for Charting. Colour, and B/W. All good.

Took my garmin to UK Ireland last year. Good for tracking back to car in different places. When walking round strange towns. Just follow the dotted line.

Regards

Macka17

As far as I know any GPS unit wheather it have 6,8,12 or 16 chanels will track those that are available but will only communicate with three at any given time. The reason for this is that the units program needs three different points to triangulate, or calculate the units global position. So if I am correct and please advise me if this is not so, the more satelites that are available to be tracked and used in the calculations the better. :thumbup:

Adding to the above statement that is mostly correct:

-Minimum 3 satellites is minimum required for Lat/Long position.

-Minimum 4 or 5 satellites is required for altitude

(for boaties it doesnt mean much, but can be handy if bushwalking for 4wding)

Im 99% sure most parrallel receiver GPS units can comminicate simultaniously with more than 3 satellites at once ...... but dont sweat .... your original reply was definatly on the right track :)

cheers, Rod

Mate dont go and buy anything but a garmin when it comes to handhelds, I had a Lowrance handheld and half the time it wouldnt get a lock....

I just recently bought a Garmin 72 and it always gets a lock

I bought my garmin 72 brand new from the states for under $150 AU...cant go past that value

Mate dont go and buy anything but a garmin when it comes to handhelds, I had a Lowrance handheld and half the time it wouldnt get a lock....

I just recently bought a Garmin 72 and it always gets a lock

I bought my garmin 72 brand new from the states for under $150 AU...cant go past that value

Cool thanks man, I was thinking of getting a lowrance too.

Im looking at a few handheld GPS' and dont know whether its worth to go for a more expensive 16 channel over a 12. What is the difference and advantages of having 16?

Thanks

I've got a Garmin 72 and it works fine. I have all my marks on it & it gets me close enough. I can drop $5.00 over the school yard and save it & give the 72 to the kids & they'll find it quick smart. They reckon "it don't get much better than that viewers"