Live Bait Spots For Squid And Yellow Tail

Billythekid

I have never fished with live bait and love fishing off the beach, I have always gotten the freshes bait possible from the fish market however wherever I read I keep seeing people quote live bait is the only way to go for serious fish.

My question is if you do not have a boat and are only landbased and live in Sydney where can you catch live bait especially squid and yellow tail and what are the best rigs, lures, bait and techniques to use.

Any feed back would be great, also If I am fishing outside of sydney whats the best way to keep the bait live in the car and keep it alive all the way to the beach say 1-2 hours out of Sydney. Or eve worse trying to keep it alive for the next day

Thanks in advance

Billy the Kid

if ur a beach fisher, i hear that beach worms are the best bait! catch em at your feet while ur fishing!

or for jewies live tailer should go well catch em a bit further out from your feet while your fishing!

salmon and tailor should not be too hard to get on pillies or pillie bits!

as for squid i dont think you could keep it alive for an hour! without some elaborate set up!

though fresh caught should work a lot better than brought squid!

Edited by wildfish

if ur a beach fisher, i hear that beach worms are the best bait! catch em at your feet while ur fishing!

or for jewies live tailer should go well catch em a bit further out from your feet while your fishing!

salmon and tailor should not be too hard to get on pillies or pillie bits!

as for squid i dont think you could keep it alive for an hour! without some elaborate set up!

though fresh caught should work a lot better than brought squid!

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated, I will try the pillies for tailor and salmon.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated, I will try the pillies for tailor and salmon.

Hi billy.... fresh squid, try a squid jig, they look like stoned prawn but work like a swiss watch. careful not to retrieve to quickly. Very effective over weed beds.. Hope this helps

Regards Greg

no worries! on an outgoing tideon a fairly flat level section of sand stand where the water washes up to its highest point, as the water starts to recede wash some pillies around in the water and watch the section of flat 2-3mm deep water in front of you scan couple of meter area in front of you! sand should be dead flat, but watch for v sections small v's in the sand with pointy section facing you!then move in for a closer look and wash the pillie around about 1 foot above the v! and you will see if it is a worm!

if you find then use this thread! sorry i cant find it beach worming by roberta! maybee someone can put a link to it!

Edited by wildfish

hi Billy the kid,

keeping yakkas is not that difficult.. get yourself a large bucket with lid and an airater and your on your way... yakkas are very hardy,i have left them in my livie tank when returning late at night to find many hours later in morning they are still kicking.shows how hardy they are..i have also gone up to my local early evening and brought some home in bucket with airater and in morning when leaving for fishing they are very hardy still.... sqiud on the other hand are alot different and need circulating fresh water to keep alive, if you only have a couple and use airater if you change water as you leave for the beach they may make it but if fresh they will still smash store bought ones... keep fresh water away from them and freeze asap and they are still miles above fresh store ones that are iced and go pinkish :thumbdown: .... hope this helps.... steve...

Thank guys for the reply, however I still do not know where around sydney landbase to catch Squid or yellowtail any hints.

if you give us an area we can be more specific... generally anywhere theres good weedbeds and particularily lights you should be in with a chance for squid.any of the local wharves/jetties hold schools of yakkas and burly will help.. i use mince with a little flour and drag a small hook through so as a little sticks on hook... the yakkas go nuts for this... as for squid try different sizes and color jigs casted over and around weedbeds or lights/shadows on wharves.vary speeds and try everything you can,if they are there you will see them follow if not they might not be there try somewhere else.... different places fish differently and squid are a funny lot,what works tonight may not work tomorrow... thats the fun in the challenge sometimes but can be frustrating when the southerns just follow and play but not hit lures no matter what you try.... good luck where ever you try.... steve....

if you give us an area we can be more specific... generally anywhere theres good weedbeds and particularily lights you should be in with a chance for squid.any of the local wharves/jetties hold schools of yakkas and burly will help.. i use mince with a little flour and drag a small hook through so as a little sticks on hook... the yakkas go nuts for this... as for squid try different sizes and color jigs casted over and around weedbeds or lights/shadows on wharves.vary speeds and try everything you can,if they are there you will see them follow if not they might not be there try somewhere else.... different places fish differently and squid are a funny lot,what works tonight may not work tomorrow... thats the fun in the challenge sometimes but can be frustrating when the southerns just follow and play but not hit lures no matter what you try.... good luck where ever you try.... steve....

I live in Gladesville but i do not mind traveling a bit if it means I can get some live bait to try.

Thanks for all your help so far the feed back and willingness to help has been excellent.

Billy the Kid

Where are you based mate?

Hi Bobfish, I am located in Gladesville NSW so, but I do not mind traveling a bit to try an get some live bait squid and yellowtail, also what type of rig do you use for catching yellowtail with mince.

Regards

Billy The Kid

I live in Gladesville but i do not mind traveling a bit if it means I can get some live bait to try.

I am based in ryde & drummoyne - I have picked up yakkas under the gladesville side of the gladesville bridge.. go on the slack of the tides and burley up..

not there always but have got them with a bit of consistency to give you the advice..

Let me know how you go.

For the squid - go to the zoo ferry wharf: my most consistent spot both land and shore based.

Cheers

Steve.

I am based in ryde & drummoyne - I have picked up yakkas under the gladesville side of the gladesville bridge.. go on the slack of the tides and burley up..

not there always but have got them with a bit of consistency to give you the advice..

Let me know how you go.

For the squid - go to the zoo ferry wharf: my most consistent spot both land and shore based.

Cheers

Steve.

as skunga said try to burly the yakkas up and the zoo wharf is a real top spot.. although it was 100 times better in the old days when they used to leave the lights on all night.. most of the wharves around syd harbour are ok.. "greenwich" and "valentia street" wharves are good one's up your way ive had succes years ago... cheers...steve