Luderick59 & I Hit Balmoral

arpie

Hi guys

Peter & I hit Balmoral wharf at 7.30 this morning - the weather looked a bit inclement with a bit of drizzle, but we settled in for a good fish. A couple of guys were there already (locals who fish it virtually every day) and they already had one good fish in the bucket.

Pete & I bait up & toss in some berley, hoping for instant action ...... it didn't happen! In the mean time, one of the guys dropped a 'floatless' rig in & hooked a monster!! It was 45cm

post-2231-1189843286_thumb.jpg

That got us excited, I can tell you. But it still took a while till we got a definite bite. I hooked a really nice fish, but we hadn't set up my long net & my fish wrapped around a pole & busted off before we could get the net to it!! :( It was a really nice fish!

By now, the tide was pretty well full in & we started getting some good bites.

Pete was on next to a good one & just as quick, it was off. Then I got a smaller one - low to mid 30's, so pleased to have one in the bucket. Pete's next one was big, really big - he got it to the surface a couple of times, but it wouldn't go into the net .... then, it had a last ditch effort to escape & it took all Pete's effort to stop it going under the jetty .... only to have it wrap around the pole instead & get off! :1badmood:

We both had a couple of good hits - both our floats went under about 4ft in an instant, but the fish was not on the hook! :( Peter then gets the fish of the day - about 40cm and a very nice one it is!

post-2231-1189843333_thumb.jpg Amazing how small the other one looks! (mine!)

It was great to fish with Peter again - I went down to Clifton Gardens but rebelled at the $5 for the first hour parking fee!! Anyone got any tips on where else to park that isn't too far away?? ALso tried Bradleys Head (the parking meter down the bottom car park was out of order ... :1prop: )

Fished for a bit off the cement jetty down there, but no downs. Anyone fished that area at all?? Any tips on where best to blackfish?

Off home tomorrow (Sat), for Keith to continue his training for the 1/2 Ironman in 2 weeks. We head to Qld soon! Sorry I couldn't stay down for the social ..... I know you guys will have a blast!!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Roberta

Sounds like a great session with big bust offs!

Were you fishing string or cabbage over there?

Re spots#

If your based on the north side, down at the Spit Bridge there is a good eddie that forms on the incoming tide south western side of the bridge next to the pylon and beach area. There is a car park just before you go over the bridge infront of the marina.

If your mobile, we have been smashing them over the other side of the city near Balmain. PM me if you want that info. Had a top little sesh before work this morning of about 20. My mate even caught a bream on weed!! First time I have seen that!

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg

We were using both, but the cabbage did the catching! (I know Pete had bites on weed tho.)

Well done on your session this morning!!! When they are on, they're on!! Great, eh??

I have caught one bream before on weed, also a 70cm+ flattie, of all things!! I'd love to have a fish over your way, but am returning home tomorrow!! :( Will put you on the list for our next visit!! :1prop: Thanks for the info on the SPit too - I have a bunch of places to try & people to fish with, no matter where I go!!!

If you are ever up our way, give us a yahoo & we'll hit the water there, too!!

Cheers

Roberta

Damn Roberta...why didn't you tell me you were going to be at Balmoral...I ended up doing some errands and couldn't harvest cabbage as the tide was high and ended up flicking some plastics at Narrabeen lakes...trouble is there was a mothers group nearby and then I had 8 rugrats at my feet jibber jabbering away...still they were a lot of fun as company and everytime I bought my SP out they screamed with delight I had caught a fish...I ended up watching them for an hour while the mums gossiped away...

parking a clifton is expensive aint it

i remember for me in summer, 1 block of pillies and $16 for parking

for a couple hours fishing in the arvo

However i love the place and its worth it!

U can always park at the top of the carpark

further up from the bus roundabout, where the houses start

and theres a set of steps that run down to the carpark from there

Cheers Jin

Roberta,

I know Balmoral well my friend dives the moorings and piles etc in the area checking them and he sees some very big ocean going fish at times. At Bradleys you fish the run out off the light house ramp facing east you want no wind as its very exposed and a fair pelt to get out, whilst your in the area try the retaining walls either side of the spit if theres no lead flying about, the old gasworks at manly (little manly point) and manly point (circular block of units), spots further west include The park at Kurraba Point (this is one of the best spots you'll get Roberta theres ample fishing spots the best spot is generally facing across the bay to north sydney your looking west try two hours before highwater and the first 3 to 4 hours of the out. Not blowing my own horn but ask me about the harbour and i can put you on to any type of spot be it wharf grass abnk or rock ledge, Dad taught me a lot!

PM me if you want o call me as i am know back home.

Cheers

Royce :beersmile:

hi roberta,

sounds like you and peter had a good time there at Balmoral and there sure is some bigguns there,ask cpt hooks daughter cassie as thats where she got that stonker raider record :biggrin2: ... sure is a bugger when the big ones decide to do a pirouette around the pylons,sure ain't a good dance when they're leading and just seem to play with you.even worse when they steal your fav float... oh well thats the challenge and fun of luderick fishing.. wish i was there... maybe next time..

i know what you mean about parking. :ranting2: all up northern beaches is bloody ticket m/c's but lucky i have a pass but still sh%ts me though.... revenue raising by councils.

give me a yahoo next time and ill see if i can play hookey from work and catch up....

hi Royce, welcome back mate... ahhhhhhhhh those lovely harbour luderick haunts..i remember them so fondly... like you said so many great spots to choose from yet so limited time these days... the great dilemma of modern day life , trying to get time to wet a line...... basically anywhere along the shores with kelp beds is luderick territory just some fire better than others at different times.. and the scenery well cannot get much better eh :thumbup: ... cheers ...steve......

Edited by roosterman

Hi guys

Pete & I had a blast yesterday - so will no doubt go back to Balmoral next time I am down! I'll bring my yak so I can target the monsters behind the cafe!! Also no parking fees or time limits (except weekends!)

Capt Hook .... what can I say!! BIG Sorry!! Didn't think of you - very slack of me! I just assume that everyone is busy mid week! You would have loved it! We had the place to ourselves, basically! Wish we'd both got our big ones!

Royce - many thanks for the tips for Bradleys - an old buddy (another 80 year old squash playing buddy of mine when I lived in Sydney in the 70's & 80's) fishes there all the time, but he couldn't come down yesterday as he was busy helping his son out!!! :1prop: Keep busy! Keep young!! He was just in Fiji with a squash team to play over there & they couldn't believe it! I used to live in Elamang Ave Kirribilli (and Kirribilli Ave!!) but that was back in the days before I got back into my fishing!! One day, when on my own, I will just meander around all the bays down there & 'have a go!' Wanted to yesterday, but Mum expected me back, so I got back just before the storm hit! :( Thank goodness! Now you are back - I'll give you both a yahoo when I hope to hit the water in Sydney!! Always more fun when with someone!

Hi Steve - have you been getting into some? From all accounts it has gone quiet down there!! Still some nice ones up here, tho. The other half wanted to run the beach today when we returned to Forster, so he ran whilst I fished!! Got one nice 40cm one & dropped a bigger one (straightened the hook!) I didn't have my suicide traces with me - i gave the made up ones I had to Peter last week, here in Forster. I was using my 10ft concertina travel rod, so it did well!! Missed a couple as well. Will try again tomorrow!

Cheerio

Roberta