The Ballast Heap

trentski

Trent, the Ballast Heap is virtually opposite Dolans Bay or Gannons Road on the sourthern side of The Hacking. It is a reefy outcrop jutty out from the long continuous sand/weed bank that adjoins Mainbar.

As you approach it you can see the colour change in the water, from sand to reef. It is quiet shallow and the water is usually very clear, as with the majority of the Port Hacking. There is a deep hole adjacent to the heap which is the area you want to try and target.

My book states: On the incoming tide you will need to anchor on the eastern side of the hole and let the movement of the water take your berley and bait up alongside the reef (Ballast Heap). The area is worth a try for bream, flathead, whiting, and garfish.

REF: FISHING GUIDE TO SYDNEY > HAWKSBURY by Gary Brown.

Mate I have fished the Ballast Heap successfully for some big whiting on the local nippers which I pump at low tide from the Mainbar sand flats. The key is live bait and very light line with a very long leader (1.2-1.5m). Use just enough lead to hold the nipper on the bottom. The whiting are very shy in this area and if they feel any resistance they will spit the bait quicker then you can strike. I usually find myself changing the sinker several times depending as the current picks up or slows with the change of tides.

I also fish this area with tiny hooks (no lead) and rolled up bread for 5-6inch poddy mullet which I use for live bait for flatties/jewies. Just throw some bread crumbs into the water and you'll have a million of the buggers there in no time at all.

Anyhow, good luck.

Nathan.

Gday trentski, as the other guys said it is oppisite little turreill bay and the best time to fish it is the incoming tide from about halfway in and onwards. Stealth is the name of the game at this spot so make sure you anchor well east of the rocks (preferably with a bow and stern anchor,this makes life easier so you can fish out of the side of the boat and also stops the boat from swinging around causing your baits to move around to much). Try and make as little noise as possible when anchoring and moveing around the boat as these fish spoke really easily being such shallow clear water. The ballast heap itself looks like a reverse L shape with the bottom or base part of the L faceing east, not sure about the other guys but i have had my best results fishing into the right angle or 90 degree point of the rocks which has produced my pb bream at 43cm in the middle of the day. good luck mate and one last thing, don't use to much burley or the fish will just sit there and fill up on your burley and not touch your baits.