Knife Jig Down Riggers

oldsalty

Hey all,

Only just joined the sight but found it quite interesting to see so much info on places i have fished. Like alot of u i fish sydney harbour,So my first question is about downriggers, I run a standard scotty style rigger on one side of my boat but have heard u can weight a live bait down for trolling using a knife jig also, i gave it a go attaching the jig to a ball bearing swivel attached to a ring about 4m in front of a bait. It sunk and trolled the bait well but line twist was a problem so something wasnt right. I know these arent as acurate for depth control and as convenient to use as normal riggers but i think a nice shiny knife jig in front of your live bait would be a good attractant and a second bait out the back sounds good,

Has anyone successfuly done it??

Mate what you are doing is call a "poormans downrigger"

Can be very effective, the way you rigged it up is correct but as you stated you cant get it at a set depth and if your going in and out of tight moorings you may need a very long set back which can be an issue.

nothing can be as effective as a downrigger when trolling baits at dpeths but this technique can be used when a downrigger isnt available

Mate what you are doing is call a "poormans downrigger"

Can be very effective, the way you rigged it up is correct but as you stated you cant get it at a set depth and if your going in and out of tight moorings you may need a very long set back which can be an issue.

nothing can be as effective as a downrigger when trolling baits at dpeths but this technique can be used when a downrigger isnt available

Ah........... i see, might leave it out of the morings but would still like to try it around the heads etc. Any idiea how to get rid of the line twist cause this jig spun like a mf as soon as it hit the water,i thought it would just spin away on the ball bearing snap and not affect the line. i was thinking it might be the uneven shape of the jig as opposed to other jigs which are more equally shaped top to bottom......................I have no idea really!

Why not try putting a swivel onto the metal at both ends which might help a little

Ps this is for on big metals not jigging knifes

i have seen this type of trolling done before but they only troll at around 1-2 knots max

Edited by johnno

hi oldsalty,

Watch Fishing Western Australia on Foxtel Sunday morning - they used a knife jig to downrig for samson fish

The way they did it was to have a crane swivel at both ends on the jig - the jig only 1.5metres in front of the hooks - as the jig also acts as a attractant.

Troll speeds were slow at between 1 & 2 knots with them stoping every minute to allow the bait to sink back down to the zone.

good luck

:biggrin2:

hi oldsalty,

Watch Fishing Western Australia on Foxtel Sunday morning - they used a knife jig to downrig for samson fish

The way they did it was to have a crane swivel at both ends on the jig - the jig only 1.5metres in front of the hooks - as the jig also acts as a attractant.

Troll speeds were slow at between 1 & 2 knots with them stoping every minute to allow the bait to sink back down to the zone.

good luck

Ahah...................swivels on both ends...... ofcourse! I like the idea if a hook up occurs on the normal down rigger of leaving the kniferigger(new name)out to flutter a squid down to his mates for another hook up. Will try again on my next outing,

Thanks guys :biggrin2:

:biggrin2:

Ahah...................swivels on both ends...... ofcourse! I like the idea if a hook up occurs on the normal down rigger of leaving the kniferigger(new name)out to flutter a squid down to his mates for another hook up. Will try again on my next outing,

Thanks guys :biggrin2:

oldsalty...

Any chance of showing me a diagram or even better a pic of this setup?

i'd be keen to try something like this..

Cheers,

Steve.

Mate,

Im a bit of spastic on the pc at the moment to put up a diagram but i am learning. Not to hard to explain though , it works on the principle that if u troll a heavy enough weight at a slow enough speed it will troll underwater , the weight could be anything but a shiny knife jig is more appealling and streamlined, attached a little further behind is a live bait! i think about 300grams is a desired weight for the jig. ur familiar with d.r , im sure u already know this...............

anyway, grab ur mainline, attach heavyduty snap swivel, pref ball bearing, attach to front of jig, attach another swivel to back of jig, then attach a couple metres or so of leader down to ur hook.Thats it, i havent tried it but you would think it would reduce the line twist.

How do u get diagrams up anyway?

maybe you could also take a look at your tackle shop for a paravane!

no extre attractant but you can control depths!

Ditto :dito: Luke and congratulations on being made a gold member.

Good one to bring up paravanes mate. Luke I have four original Eddystone Tatlers and I use to just loaf around Broken bay in the mornings using Swagman deep diver murray cod lures so you could slow down and keep changing the depth of the paravane or just go middling or speed up the diver. works reasonably when the birds were fluttering and the kings were doing nothing with the rapalas.

Regards Luke :thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Would it be easier if we both go with Russ if the damariboyz aren't going mate ?

Ditto :dito: Luke and congratulations on being made a gold member.

Good one to bring up paravanes mate. Luke I have four original Eddystone Tatlers and I use to just loaf around Broken bay in the mornings using Swagman deep diver murray cod lures so you could slow down and keep changing the depth of the paravane or just go middling or speed up the diver. works reasonably when the birds were fluttering and the kings were doing nothing with the rapalas.

Regards Luke :thumbup:

Would it be easier if we both go with Russ if the damariboyz aren't going mate ?

Whats a paravane?

Whats a paravane?

Hi oldsalty a paravane looks like an aeroplane device with wings that is attacked to your line and off it goes a long leader with swagman deep diver lures attached to the paravanes by swivels so you can just motor around a bit with you mind of the job more or less till you dig out a fish.

Thanks mate

Cheers

Mate,

Im a bit of spastic on the pc at the moment to put up a diagram but i am learning. Not to hard to explain though , it works on the principle that if u troll a heavy enough weight at a slow enough speed it will troll underwater , the weight could be anything but a shiny knife jig is more appealling and streamlined, attached a little further behind is a live bait! i think about 300grams is a desired weight for the jig. ur familiar with d.r , im sure u already know this...............

anyway, grab ur mainline, attach heavyduty snap swivel, pref ball bearing, attach to front of jig, attach another swivel to back of jig, then attach a couple metres or so of leader down to ur hook.Thats it, i havent tried it but you would think it would reduce the line twist.

How do u get diagrams up anyway?

Okay, I see what you mean now..

I have a downrigger and thought you were using that & the knife jig + a live bait and was wondering how that would work..

I have been considering hanging a sluggo or spinner blade just above the lead bomb as a kind of teaser, then troll my liveys as per usual. I might be asking for trouble with tangles though..

As for diagrams, sorry i'm a web developer/graphic designer so it comes as second nature to me :1prop: (dork)

Thanks for the time Old Salty...

Cheers,

Steve.