55cm Carp From Parramatta

roosterman

hi guys,

had 40 min to kill this morning at parramatta so grabbed my wattos special flick stick outa the car an decided to get some carp down at the weir..when i got there i saw about 4 or so had been washed over into the saltwater side and they were huge... burlied up with some bread rolls and straight away the murky water was stirring with some huge carp. put out my bait and shortly after it went outa sight my line went tight so i lifted my rod and i was on :biggrin2: ... after a few short moments i got him to the surface and i knew i was in trouble,this thing was huge ... easily over 10lb and broke my 6lb mono like it was cotton :ranting2: .. oh well time to up the ante so i doubled line for about a mtre or so as i had a little wall to lift them up.. over the next half hour i lost 4 and landed 4 and all were over 10lb (est) the last one i measured against rod and checked when home and was 55cm.. this was not the biggest one either,they were all very fat. this would of looked very funny as i was on my belly fighting fish ,rod doubled over with outstreatched hand out trying to lift them by the gills :tease: .. meanwhile workers in all their good gear watching and oohing and ahhing with the sight of the big fish.... or the time i nearly went in the drink :1prop: ..boss would of loved that.... (boss to steve-so how was it again that you got drenched on a nice sunny day) :1prop: ..... anyway if you like catching carp there is no shortage of big oned down parramatta weir, havnt done this since a kid but some things never change(unfortunately in this situation) and esp after rain this place has heaps.... they only just drained this part recently to put the fish ladder and already its choccas with them :thumbdown: ....

post-2219-1190209478_thumb.jpg

Edited by roosterman

OMG! They are fat monsters!!! They are a delicacy in Europe & Asia, they reckon!! Seems you have to put your name down early to get one for Xmas Dinner in Europe!

Has anyone ever tried eating one? My neighbour would just bury it in his vege patch & call it compost! I give him all my fish carcasses too!

Where did you put them, STeve?

Roberta

Congrats and great stuff those carp really go hard. this is the best time of the year to take them out as they are fattening up for spawning.

The carp out of there I would not consider eating one caught out of the Parra river (as the water is very polluted) however I have had seen some of the local Indian's and Chinese people take them home. They reckon if you place them in vinegar it cleans them out.

Well believe it or not, carp are the most consumed and farmed fish in the world by a country mile, mostly in Asia and Europe, however they are slightly different and mostly farmed, they originated in Western Asia and date as far as the 7th Century BC !! they were introduce in to Europe by Romans due to the ease of farming . China farms nearly 20 Million tones annually. :1yikes:

They can live for as long as 70 years and reach birding maturity at 4 years old, world record is over 100lb and U.K. record stands at 60lb, it’s the fastest and largest growing sector of game fishing in the UK (poor bastards) :074:

post-1420-1190262729_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grebbo

Well believe it or not, carp are the most consumed and farmed fish in the world by a country mile, mostly in Asia and Europe, however they are slightly different and mostly farmed, they originated in Western Asia and date as far as the 7th Century BC !! they were introduce in to Europe by Romans due to the ease of farming . China farms nearly 20 Million tones annually. :1yikes:

They can live for as long as 70 years and reach birding maturity at 4 years old, world record is over 100lb and U.K. record stands at 60lb, it’s the fastest and largest growing sector of game fishing in the UK (poor bastards) :074:

Hi Grebbo. Rosemeadow duck pond at the back of my place would be worth the trip . It's about twenty feet deep has been fished in over 50 years.

I believe a couple of locals disappeared off the banks while walking their dogs :1yikes: A third one recently is to buried in Canberra, on Saturday, I believe.

Thought you may have known the deceased. He was an English carp fisherman. a guest of a carp culling club.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Grebbo. Rosemeadow duck pond at the back of my place would be worth the trip . It's about twenty feet deep has been fished in over 50 years.

I believe a couple of locals disappeared off the banks while walking their dogs :1yikes: A third one recently is to buried in Canberra, on Saturday, I believe.

Thought you may have known the deceased. He was an English carp fisherman. a guest of a carp culling club.

Hi jewgaffer,

Well to tell you the truth, I have not caught a carp for close to 20 years now, It was the fish of choice when I was introduce to fishing by my dad, I know that there are tones of them in the lakes and rivers around Canberra, and you often see our Asian fishing friends on the banks of lake Burley Griffin struggling to pull them in, my folks will occasionally eat carp but only at Christmas and as far as I know there is quite a lot of preparation going on in order to make them half decent, they are full of bones and require a technique to filet them, also storing them in a refrigerator over night covered with milk apparently rids them of the “Muddy” taste and smell.

As far as knowing the chaps from the carp club I would have to say no, I’m more in to Red Fin and Yella etc.

But the pond at the back of your place sounds like it could hide some secrets, have you ever tried to fish there?

Hi jewgaffer,

Well to tell you the truth, I have not caught a carp for close to 20 years now, It was the fish of choice when I was introduce to fishing by my dad, I know that there are tones of them in the lakes and rivers around Canberra, and you often see our Asian fishing friends on the banks of lake Burley Griffin struggling to pull them in, my folks will occasionally eat carp but only at Christmas and as far as I know there is quite a lot of preparation going on in order to make them half decent, they are full of bones and require a technique to filet them, also storing them in a refrigerator over night covered with milk apparently rids them of the “Muddy” taste and smell.

As far as knowing the chaps from the carp club I would have to say no, I’m more in to Red Fin and Yella etc.

But the pond at the back of your place sounds like it could hide some secrets, have you ever tried to fish there?

Hi Grebbo It's funny you should ask me that. They brought the Ducks in to clean up the Carp in Rosemeadow Duck Pond but that backfired and the Carp cleaned up the Ducks. They cleaned up the two locals and the dogs were found on the Hay plains.

The Carp Culling trip to Rosemeadow Duck Pond backfired on the English Carp Culler and he was seriously killed and no Carp were killed or even Culled either.

Nothing will make carp edible, despite the new trend in Japan which makes the eating of carp highly fashionable but I reckon suicide by carp is a only a modern form of hara kiri and kamikazi rolled into one. :074:

Cheers Grebbo I like the sound of Redfin and I'll bet you are getting into quite a few Redfin down your way and what size to they go to down there.

jewgaffer :thumbup:

[ :Funny-Post: haha,

Well they are far better eating then the carp that’s for sure!! Most outings I will land 20 to 30 and usually around 30 to 35cm and from time to time a 40cm. awesome fish, they fight well, go a lure or SP and when they are on they are on!! I had Mondo come down from Sydney one weekend and we could not cast out with out catching one. but my favorite would be a yellow belly,

Besides squiding, my favorite fishing.. :1fishing1:

Reddies! :biggrin2:

post-1420-1190269238_thumb.jpg

post-1420-1190269877_thumb.jpg

[ :Funny-Post: haha,

Well they are far better eating then the carp that’s for sure!! Most outings I will land 20 to 30 and usually around 30 to 35cm and from time to time a 40cm. awesome fish, they fight well, go a lure or SP and when they are on they are on!! I had Mondo come down from Sydney one weekend and we could not cast out with out catching one. but my favorite would be a yellow belly,

Besides squiding, my favorite fishing.. :1fishing1:

Reddies! :biggrin2:

Hey Grebbo your gunna have 4 raiders down there very, very soon for those Redfin- Roberta, Luderick-Angler, Jewgaffer, and luderick59. I don't drink so you better clean out the wine cellar we'll camp in there!

Redfin taste great and you have to do that mate coz this post from Canberra is going over the borderline.

Cheers

jewgaffer, Roberta, Luderick59, Luderick_Angler, 2 carp repellent Irish Setters, and that English Carp Culler in an urn.

Hey Grebbo your gunna have 4 raiders down there very, very soon for those Redfin- Roberta, Luderick-Angler, Jewgaffer, and luderick59. I don't drink so you better clean out the wine cellar we'll camp in there!

Redfin taste great and you have to do that mate coz this post from Canberra is going over the borderline.

Cheers

jewgaffer, Roberta, Luderick59, Luderick_Angler, 2 carp repellent Irish Setters, and that English Carp Culler in an urn.

brig it on,

When the water worms up I can guarantee a bag full each time I go out.

Red Fin are a good eating that’s for sure!! :thumbup:

brig it on,

When the water worms up I can guarantee a bag full each time I go out.

Red Fin are a good eating that’s for sure!! :thumbup:

Hey Grebbo old mate you're a little off topic so there will be some carp fishing done. We'll bring Steve Roosterman to put it back on topic and Mondo to catch all the beach worms with the squid tube glove I told him about.

Cheers

Hey did my grandson, Little Jewgaffer's penfriend Simon Mondo leave any beaches down there other than the one near Captains Flat Life Saving Club? :074:

Hi Roosterman,

Nice fish, but man it was ssssooooo ugly. They really are ugly, and I dont care if I offend all the Europeans - Carp are the socially disadvantaged members of the fish world, and thats all there is to it.

The Poacher,

PS. By the way, if at all possible, your photo seemed to make it even uglier - all mis-proportioned

hi cam, there was a couple that had been washed over the weir from fresh to salt but i was fishing near the wall next to the new fish ladder.i had 40 min to kill before my client so being so close to water and armed with my flick stick in car(never without these days) i done what was the right thing,help eradicate some pests :biggrin2: .. now if this means wetting a line then thats the small price i pay for being environmentally responsible.... :icon_peace: is this enough justification,im sure i could come up with more if i think :1prop: ....

poacher that fish was very fat and ugly but had a bit missing from his tail but other than that all natural and my pic prob made him look heaps better ... he was no longer in river :biggrin2: ... one less pest-10 zillion to go :thumbdown:

hi roberta, they all went to fishy hell... where they all should be..... as for eating :puke:

compost is only real good use i think... there is some commercial stuff called CHARLIE CARP i think...

zrealist & chopper75 i got them down the weir next to the ferry wharf where salt meets fresh.. these pests are right through the system and all up to parramatta park is good to catch these pests.we also used to get huge eels as a kid using liver/lambs fry,some were over 2 metres long and thick as your forearm,like annacondas..

this is not a good sign as this part was empty only a few weeks ago as they put the new fish ladder in and already its choccas with them :1badmood: .. im afraid this system was lost to the dreded carp as long ago as the 80's when we used to go down the salt section to get luderick weed and once weed collected we put the old jag hooks on and they were so thick at times nearly every cast would hookup.. cannot do that these days as jagging is illegal so baitfishings next option.. is cheaper also as there was and still is lots or shopping trollies and stuff in there.. cheers guys and thanks for the replies...steve

OMG! They are fat monsters!!! They are a delicacy in Europe & Asia, they reckon!! Seems you have to put your name down early to get one for Xmas Dinner in Europe!

Has anyone ever tried eating one? My neighbour would just bury it in his vege patch & call it compost! I give him all my fish carcasses too!

Where did you put them, STeve?

Roberta

hi roberta! they are like arsenic on toast! :wacko: puke! full of bones.

..cheers!..stevo!..

there is a fish farm out the back of somewhere (lol) i think outback sa where they farm carp.....

they have 7 big 2 metre wide purging ponds which the carp have to spend a few days in each, slowly purging mud out of their system....when i lived out the back of gunnedah, one of teh opld boys told me you can eat em if you leave them in your bath full of water, and change the water 5 or six times.....he said the mud that accumulates on the bottom is enough to turn you off...

as you can tell, when we are surrounded by tasty animals, why would you want to eat a mutant mudsucking goldfish???

ps not sure if you guys know this but carp must be dispatched when caught...ie killed not just left on the bank....they can live for 24 hours out of water...

pps what about a carp bounty??? 50 cents a carp destroyed?? cmon fisheries....its great you put a fishway in parramatta but thats only part of the problem....

Spose someone's gotta set things a little straight so it might as well be me. :biggrin2:

I'll be the first to admit that I grew up on eating Carp & have enjoyed it. More times then I can count. Alot in Europe but mostly here. :1yikes:

It is not hard to prepare like some think. My favourite is the soup or as some call it "chowder". As for getting the mud out of them??? Best solution is don't fish in muddy waters or after heavy rainfalls.

I'm sure there are a few former Europeans here not saying much who DO keep their catch & are always looking for a good clean spot of water to catch them in. For them I say some spots in Windsor. But the best of all would be Kangaroo Valley. The biggest I've pulled out there was 26 pounds. Good ol fight on light tackle on a cold day. Another spot is the Napean Cobbity, Camden Appin ect but not for the usual carp but the Crucian carp. These guys have a different lifestyle to your usual Carp. We generally catch them on worms. While you're there you'll hook a few catfish as well. I definately wouldn't eat it out of Parra River!!!

Me... as a European born Australian Citizen understand the impact that the carp have made. Truly unbeleiveable as to how they loved this climate. And I agree that they have made themselves a place in being called a pest.

But in all fairness the australian nation has decided that they are bad eating due to the label of being a pest & not from trying it. I heard stories of Yellowfin tuna being labeled as a bad eating pest. Funny how things change when you have enough people saying..." Just open your mouth & try it " :thumbup:

For all my Irish Australian friends who have tried our cultural dish (prepared how it should be) during my lifetime, I have the utmost respect for you in trying our meal. You were all astonished, amazed & couldn't beleive that it could taste so rich & fine. You all loved it! BUT even if you wouldn't have, I would still respect your opinion because you've made it after knowing what you are talking about.....WHICH IS BY TRYING IT!

So my questions to all of you are these..... How can you have an opinion on something you haven't tried? How can we as Australians think that a fish such as Carp be crap when a population that is umpteenthly larger than us dissagree with you? Do 10 Million of us know better than the world? Especially when 9 million out 10 million haven't even been brave enough to try it????

:074::074::074:

That is so funny.

It is a light hearted topic on a serious pest in Australia. But If you have a european neighbour ask him about it. You might even put the dish rating next to Curries & laksa.

Thought you guys might be interrested in another opinion. :1prop:

Cheers

Seazar

Edited by Seazar

Seazar, you make a good point.

If you can rustle up a European recipe or two for Carp and place them

into The Kitchen, then perhaps a few Raiders can give it a try and who knows....

...They might actually like it!!

Remember...rabbits were (and still are) considered a pest but they taste

great in a stew. (Still working on a cane toad recipe :074: )

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete