Hawkesbury 19/9

inhlanzi

G'day Raiders

Had a job cancelled at the last moment so got up early and hit the Hawkesbury in search of the ever elusive Jew.

I launched ay ATB and ran straight into a very thick fog. I like to think I know the waterway very well but even so at times it was so thick I had no idea where I was.

The plan was to track down some livies - tailor, yakka, pike, squid etc and head to one of the spots and have a spread out for the high tide.

Whilst driving through the mist it was so thick I had to stop for a bit. I heard some splashing I saw some surface action near by. The gods were smiling on me a school of tailor busting up within 20 m. I like to have a small spin stick at the ready with a 5g halco slice attached. Tailor in the mist! In 15 minutes I had a good supply of nice tailor.

post-1963-1190244091_thumb.jpg

I made my way out into the basin and headed for the yakka spot. There were some big showings on the sounder so down with the sabiki and pretty soon had all the yakka I needed.

I knew the NE was going to come in the afternoon so I positioned myself so the tide didn't have much affect on where I was sitting.

At this point I was well ahead of schedule so I thought what the hell and sent out 4 livies. Nothing much happened for about two hours or so and all lives were swimming quite happily.

I was contemplating moving to another spot when I heard the sound all Jewfishermen love to hear... the braid screaming through the eyes of my texie. Its hard not to panic a bit but I have to say I stood and watched as the rod buckled over and the line peeled off. I took the rod out the holder and I was well clear of any obstacles so I took it easy on applying the drag. I could feel the thump thump and this was a good fish. Then as suddenly as it started it stopped. The fish had spat the bait... I left the bait there for a while and nothing.

Reeled the bait in and I got my tailor back with a big crushing bite in the side. post-1963-1190244158_thumb.jpg The Jewie must have grabbed him from the tail and charged off with him and let go after a big run. Sometimes I have a a trailing stinger hook but sadly not today.

I caught a big 2m pike eel (live tailor) and a nice fat salmon (live yakka)

All in all a good day on the water and anyway just to see the rod buckle and the reel scream made the trip all worth while - bring on the warm weather.

cheers

inhlanzi

G'day Raiders

Had a job cancelled at the last moment so got up early and hit the Hawkesbury in search of the ever elusive Jew.

I launched ay ATB and ran straight into a very thick fog. I like to think I know the waterway very well but even so at times it was so thick I had no idea where I was.

The plan was to track down some livies - tailor, yakka, pike, squid etc and head to one of the spots and have a spread out for the high tide.

Whilst driving through the mist it was so thick I had to stop for a bit. I heard some splashing I saw some surface action near by. The gods were smiling on me a school of tailor busting up within 20 m. I like to have a small spin stick at the ready with a 5g halco slice attached. Tailor in the mist! In 15 minutes I had a good supply of nice tailor.

post-1963-1190244091_thumb.jpg

I made my way out into the basin and headed for the yakka spot. There were some big showings on the sounder so down with the sabiki and pretty soon had all the yakka I needed.

I knew the NE was going to come in the afternoon so I positioned myself so the tide didn't have much affect on where I was sitting.

At this point I was well ahead of schedule so I thought what the hell and sent out 4 livies. Nothing much happened for about two hours or so and all lives were swimming quite happily.

I was contemplating moving to another spot when I heard the sound all Jewfishermen love to hear... the braid screaming through the eyes of my texie. Its hard not to panic a bit but I have to say I stood and watched as the rod buckled over and the line peeled off. I took the rod out the holder and I was well clear of any obstacles so I took it easy on applying the drag. I could feel the thump thump and this was a good fish. Then as suddenly as it started it stopped. The fish had spat the bait... I left the bait there for a while and nothing.

Reeled the bait in and I got my tailor back with a big crushing bite in the side. post-1963-1190244158_thumb.jpg The Jewie must have grabbed him from the tail and charged off with him and let go after a big run. Sometimes I have a a trailing stinger hook but sadly not today.

I caught a big 2m pike eel (live tailor) and a nice fat salmon (live yakka)

All in all a good day on the water and anyway just to see the rod buckle and the reel scream made the trip all worth while - bring on the warm weather.

cheers

inhlanzi

Good on you getting out to meet that change to north easterly Mike, and I must say you've sure got your baitfish down to a tee. Forty yaks waiting for me to get to Brooklyn one day then getting a good supply in an unfamiiliar area like Apple Tree Bay and in pretty quick time like that.

So many fiishermen don't realize the importance of spending their time getting a variety baitfish first. Getting your live bait and your bait right is critical anywhere in any type of fishing.

Mike regarding the tailor spit out and the run you had it seems it was a jew run to me .

A cuttlefish would leave a narrower hole in the back of the tailor's neck.

It's pretty hard to hang back and not go a fraction early on a jew with the drag taking off like that but you've just got to wait and do that every time.

Your hooks were on the top, trebbled bottom hooks would have been trailing away on the top as well.

With a large livie like that your drag should be always free, a jew grabs the livie from underneath, runs off and claims it, stops turns it around and then takes it in head first.

And this is most critical and very important, your hook should be facing the tail!!! otherwise the jew's mouth will just roll back over it if the jew spits it out and without hook up if the barb is facing the rod!!!

On the run after the pause, I loosen the drag, count to ten in rhyme with a seconds hand, take a firm hold of the reel and lift the rod smoothly with the slack slowly taken up. I use the rod to cushion the fish as I carefully adjust the drag.

I have grown into just holding the rod slightly upward of horizontal too tire out jew, and so relaxed that I roll up a durry and light up the smoke for a few slow puffs and then gently get stuck into the jew.

There's a lot of principle in doing that I tell you and not talking about smoking here.

Regards

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Mike you know this well but I better bring it up again . I don't not use circle hooks on jew, jew have hollow cavity mouth.

Edited by jewgaffer

Hey Jewgaffer

Interesting point about the hook placement.

Do you mean A or B as per the illustration

post-1963-1190251078_thumb.jpg

cheers

inhlanzi

Love those graphics you do Mike . Definately "B" but with a cable tie it will be necessary to use a small elastic band placed thru the sides of the gill plates and up back over the hook, to hold the shank down hard and flush against the bait fish and you'll find it wil look straighter that way for an easier mouth take with the leader line out of the way!

That way you cripple the livie a bit and make it struggle more for the old jew "put it out of it's misery" trick!

Cheers Mike

[hi jewgaffer :1fishing1:

i use a2nd snelled hook in the tail to hold the shank of the front hook down level with the livey

ialso cut top or bottom of tail to make it swim up or down

with a very large livey i cut the whole tail off giving off good vibrations and a blood trail

peter :1fishing1:

Nice Pics and post,

I think I may have been the second victim of a big jew the next day around Lion Island. I wish I had read this post first maybe I would have been a bit more patient. There was no doubt I had the fish hooked well but I was underdone with only a nine pound leader fishing for bream. Your post has now got me fired up to have another lash tomorrow.

Good luck and great to hear from the Hawkesbury Hunters.

See you on the water.

Regards, Hutcho1

[hi jewgaffer :1fishing1:

i use a2nd snelled hook in the tail to hold the shank of the front hook down level with the livey

ialso cut top or bottom of tail to make it swim up or down

with a very large livey i cut the whole tail off giving off good vibrations and a blood trail

peter :1fishing1:

lol don't tell the greenies that you tail clip livies lol you will have green peace protesting....that is a technique best seen but not heard...highly effective though....

jewgaffer out of interest what way do you rig your livie hooks for kings same as above for hook direction....thats helpful info man....i'm yet to catch a jew... 3 runs for 0 so i wonder if hook placement is the answer... so next time i see a bloke with a locked up rod rollin durrys at the hawkesbury whil on a jew i'll know who it is

Great report inhlanzi as always.....

I always use hook placement A and although i rarely chase jews and im not very knowledgable on them i have a 100% hook up rate from runs to boating the fish using hooking style A.........

Im with Nectic, on style A, i dont target them but im 2 from 2 so far on the jews.

I hook mine a little different though. I have a hook tied to the end of my trace and then a running hook above that. The tied hook goes in just before the tail and the running hook through the mouth or top of the head where it is pictured in A.

Should i be using cable ties and rubber bands instead?

Cheers

Dan

Great pics by the way, i rate the fog shot!!

Edited by Kiwi Dan

Great report inhlanzi as always.....

I always use hook placement A and although i rarely chase jews and im not very knowledgable on them i have a 100% hook up rate from runs to boating the fish using hooking style A.........

To Netic and Dan with respect.

In regards to method A, I am wondering how you hook up your fish at 100% hook up rate when they attack a live bait at front and head on at the head, like a cat takes a mouse only to find they have difficulty getting past the suspended leader and past and over the hook shank.

When when using method A, both the line and the shank of the hook are in the way and the hook up barb is on the wrong side of the hook shank face.

In the case of predators particularly jew , like a fox or a wild dog attacks in stealth against the wind, predators attack against the current and jew from under the livie and then stop and turn it around to take it head first.

Have a closer look method A drawn up by Mike, and you will see clearly that the livie will only be able to swim back towards the rod.

When others use method A , on their favourite jetty or in their own boat or on the rocky ledges they may be fishing from, how are they going to prevent their livie from swimming right back under their feet??

And so that the livie can cover more territory and still be presented reasonably well ??

I have given my reasons for using only method B in this post , would anybody like to advise Mike inhlanzi who asked me the question and provided the drawings, and at the same time advise other members about using method A or method B when swimming livies ??

Edited by jewgaffer