Re-tying Lures

domza

Hey guys, just a quick question.

When out fishing (salt or fresh) its always annoying when you have to change lures by re-tying them. Is there a device out there that lets you change lures by a clip of some sort (kind of like whats on wire traces, but obviously i don't want wire when lure fishing..)

having different lures on different rods isn't an option because i don't have space for 40 rods nor do i have 40 rods :1prop:

thanks

Hey guys, just a quick question.

When out fishing (salt or fresh) its always annoying when you have to change lures by re-tying them. Is there a device out there that lets you change lures by a clip of some sort (kind of like whats on wire traces, but obviously i don't want wire when lure fishing..)

having different lures on different rods isn't an option because i don't have space for 40 rods nor do i have 40 rods :1prop:

thanks

you can buy metal snaps or clips that allow you to change lures regularly. Some hinder the action of a lure a bit

you can use the clips you are talking about that are on the end of wire traces. You can but them on their own or pull them off the trace (or swivels)

Unfortunately they completely stuff the action of the lure. When you give them a go you soon discover your lure doesn't swim straight or sits crooked. On small lures even a split ring on the front can change the way the lure swims. I have found that by removing the ring and tying straight onto the lure, cheap lures will get a lot better action.

Re-tying is your best option.

Dve

Hey mate,

For all my saltwater trolling rods i use swivel clips the same as most people (i use shogun, im sure there are other good ones as well but these are my favourite) . I then go and tie all my skirted lures with about 2m of leader attached to a barrel swivel so i can just interchange quickly between sizes/ colours etc.

I also do this with my xraps etc making sure that i use a perfection or leftys loop knot so as not to impeed the action of the lure in the water, so as long as you have at least 1m of leader i find the clip doesnt affect the action of the lure at all.

The only anoying thing is storing the lures with all the line attached to them all the time, which when you way that up against trying to tie knots on a rocking boat in the middle of the ocean isn't really that big of a sacrafice!!!!

Hope that helps!

P.s

I wouldnt use this method with softplastics or very small bibbed minows because as davemmmm said it buggers the action.

Edited by fishlexic

I use the smallest size 1 snaps on both my landbased combo's.

It may hinder the action very slightly but it certainly hasn't turned the fish off at all.

I use them on everything from 7g metals to unweighted plastics to 13g X-Raps and all swim true.

IFS

I used to use snap swivels until Watto put me onto a different type..... it's basically the snap part of a snap swivel without the swivel.

they're light and tiny and the lures swim perfectly on them

Exactly what I use mate, I must change lures, jigs, rigs, plastics about 4-5 times a session on each rod so it pays to have some of the snaps if you'll be changing tactics to see what the fish want.

IFS

The brand I use is called no knot fast snaps, very small and strong, also Norman speed clips or fly clips. I use them spinning small hardbodies for trout and have found them to perform well.Even the small weight of these clips can turn a suspending lure into a slow sinker so experiment in the shallows first to see if they have any effects on your chosen lure. cheers troutboy :1fishing1:

Hrmmm... Am I the only one who still uses a knot?! :(

I must be getting old... :05:

I use a lefty's loop or a penny knot (at night because you can tie it by feel) but I can tie them up in seconds. I just snip the old knot out and tie the new fly (or lure) on.

snaps are shit... when you lose a great fish because of one you will know why...

snaps are great for bream & trout fishing. I wouldnt use them targetting large mulloway and other species, but for smalelr species, they are a great way of being able to change quickl;y between HBs...

However, do not just go out and grab a pack of snap swivels.... this would be shit... Go for a snap actually marketted as 'lure clips/snaps'... i only use the owner & decoy snaps, and only in the 0 size....

there great.

snaps are great for bream & trout fishing. I wouldnt use them targetting large mulloway and other species, but for smalelr species, they are a great way of being able to change quickl;y between HBs...

However, do not just go out and grab a pack of snap swivels.... this would be shit... Go for a snap actually marketted as 'lure clips/snaps'... i only use the owner & decoy snaps, and only in the 0 size....

there great.

i take that back , for small fish quality snaps will do, but what if that jew comes along...i trust my knots more than a snap

each to their own i'm sure you'll find more people on here who use em than don't

the tiny snaps I use for flatties bream whiting trout etc are size 000 you can get them from a place that start with the letter A and has the same name as a snake

they hold good size fish 48 cm bream 50 cm brown t both putting up great fights the brother caught a good size trev on one as well

the only issue I have is they as pretty hard to see and you will need long nose pliers to work them some times

from what I have seen they don't mess up the action and I have caught heeps using them

great to go from SP to HB's and back again

cheers

the tiny snaps I use for flatties bream whiting trout etc are size 000 you can get them from a place that start with the letter A and has the same name as a snake

they hold good size fish 48 cm bream 50 cm brown t both putting up great fights the brother caught a good size trev on one as well

cheers

I've caught a 2kg Bonito on 10lb with the small snaps, still using the same one today and doesn't look like breaking or bending anytime soon either.

It's rated at 33lb and I have put 8lb of drag onto the snap and it never looked like it would fail.

Though if anymore drag was required I'd upgrade to the next size up.

IFS

Guest Big-Banana

All my good fish have come with Snaps being somewhere in the terminal connection. Buy quality and you'll get it.

There definitely are some snaps which are better than others, there was atop article in a fishing magazine a few months a go with an in depth look at all the options and the pros and cons of each.

They are a very efficient way to fish, and save a stack of time.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Fishraiders,

I'm a convert to snaps and snap swivels. They save so much time and effort. But there are snaps and then there are snaps. And of course, you have to be sensible, and use the most appropriate snap for the job.

For quick changing of sinkers when estuary fishing from my boat I only ever use the cheap brass ones that incorporate a swivel.

But for everything else, I use wire snaps only.

Heavy duty cross-lock, Breakaway spinlink clips or similar are best for heavy use.

But for bass fishing I've used good quality duo-lock snaps for years and never had one fail. Always make sure they are properly fastened and you won't have a problem.

For light to medium saltwater fishing I now prefer the spring steel No-knot fast snaps, used by troutboy, in both the small and the larger size.

And for very small lure work, I use the lighter gauge spring steel Mustad easy snaps in size 1, which are so small and inconspicuous that if you put them down you'll probably have trouble finding them again.

Very small spring steel snaps are much easier to put on and remove if you use a small pair of needle nose pliars.

I also remove any split ring or other link from the lure tow point if I can, so I can attach the snap directly to the lure. I'm always amazed how people who are concerned about snaps then tie on to split rings, which are often crap and weaker than a snap.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Hey mate,

For all my saltwater trolling rods i use swivel clips the same as most people (i use shogun, im sure there are other good ones as well but these are my favourite) . I then go and tie all my skirted lures with about 2m of leader attached to a barrel swivel so i can just interchange quickly between sizes/ colours etc.

I also do this with my xraps etc making sure that i use a perfection or leftys loop knot so as not to impeed the action of the lure in the water, so as long as you have at least 1m of leader i find the clip doesnt affect the action of the lure at all.

Hi there Fishlexic...

i realise this is a bit late in responce to the original post.... but as you quoted how you do your leaders etc

well if you havent allready seen how it should be done and switched over by now the better method to rig it is to crimp.......

a loop to the end of the leader which is protected by chaff tube this is then attached to your

snap swivel.........you have to do away with the barrel swivel as you will most likely end up looseing

that big y/fin you have been trying so hard to catch due to failure as well as it leaves a big bubble trail

in the water when you hook up which can tempt fish to snap at it resulting in the line going twang.........

as i said a late responce and you might not see it but thought i would mention it fishlexic in the event you haven't switched as yet..........

Cheers Warnie.....