Not To Bad Weekend.

GregL

Sunday I went for my first ever river bass fish. JustinP, my son and I drove out to the Nepean for a spot of bassin. We caught a few bass each so mission accomplished.

Here are a couple of em.

post-3563-1191224151_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1191224380_thumb.jpg

Monday(today) Justin and I met up with fellow raider Chris(ceph) for a blackfish.

The downs were thin but we still caught a few each and Chris caught the largest measuring in at 39cm.

A few from today.

post-3563-1191224559_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1191224589_thumb.jpg

Chris's 39cm

post-3563-1191224852_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1191224890_thumb.jpg

one of mine

post-3563-1191224921_thumb.jpg

Thanks for coming today Chris and it was a pleasure to fish with another Raider. We'll have to do it again soon buddy.

Cheers

Greg

Edited by GregL

It was a great session. I am new to the art of Luderick fishing and it was good to fish along side experienced anglers and learn new techniques and tricks.

Greg and Justin were most accommodating and we all shared spots and tricks.

Thanks Lads.. I am still replaying the fight of the 39 in my head!!

Till next time..

May your weed be plentiful and your downs be fast and deep :thumbup:

Well what a great weekend, Greg and myself headed out to the nepean with his 7yr old son Jeremy on sunday, the air at the boat ramp was cool and rich with anticipation of some thumper bass, Greg had caught impoundment bass before but never wild river bass, and I had never caught a bass, we were armed with all the right gear and a little bit of local info on what areas to target, we all started throwing surface lures of different types and after about 45 mins we knew that it was not going to be easy, after a few lost lures into the trees I tied on a stiffy popper and got a surface strike, however didnt get the hooks, we moved around a bit and started throwing pony heads and after a while I landed my first bass, then a few casts later got my second, not huge fish bit great all the same, all fish caught were around 32cm, Greg bagged a few and it was not long until we called it a day now armed with some local knowledge of our own on what conditions and areas of the river best suited, thanks Greg had a top day as always. Day two Greg had told me earlier in the week that he had arranged to meet Chris (Ceph) at spot x on Monday to help him fine tune his blackfishing, so we all met at around 7.30 and after introductions settled in to watching our floats, well what do you know Chris bags a fish after about 10 mins and I though to myself whos teaching who here, it turns out that Chris is a well versed fisho in most areas and was very open about his techniques and areas that he regulary fishes, we all got a few fish a Chris got a very respectable one, highlight of the day for me was almost landing a flattie on the weed during a retrieve I was so amazed that when I saw it I kinda forgot about about landing it and it snapped me off, all in all a great morning with good people and I think that we will take Chris up on a few Kingy sessions this summer, cheers Justin.

Well what a great weekend, Greg and myself headed out to the nepean with his 7yr old son Jeremy on sunday, the air at the boat ramp was cool and rich with anticipation of some thumper bass, Greg had caught impoundment bass before but never wild river bass, and I had never caught a bass, we were armed with all the right gear and a little bit of local info on what areas to target, we all started throwing surface lures of different types and after about 45 mins we knew that it was not going to be easy, after a few lost lures into the trees I tied on a stiffy popper and got a surface strike, however didnt get the hooks, we moved around a bit and started throwing pony heads and after a while I landed my first bass, then a few casts later got my second, not huge fish bit great all the same, all fish caught were around 32cm, Greg bagged a few and it was not long until we called it a day now armed with some local knowledge of our own on what conditions and areas of the river best suited, thanks Greg had a top day as always. Day two Greg had told me earlier in the week that he had arranged to meet Chris (Ceph) at spot x on Monday to help him fine tune his blackfishing, so we all met at around 7.30 and after introductions settled in to watching our floats, well what do you know Chris bags a fish after about 10 mins and I though to myself whos teaching who here, it turns out that Chris is a well versed fisho in most areas and was very open about his techniques and areas that he regulary fishes, we all got a few fish a Chris got a very respectable one, highlight of the day for me was almost landing a flattie on the weed during a retrieve I was so amazed that when I saw it I kinda forgot about about landing it and it snapped me off, all in all a great morning with good people and I think that we will take Chris up on a few Kingy sessions this summer, cheers Justin.

I forgot about your Flattie on the Weed Lure!!! I got a good look at him.. definetly legal and probably around the 40-45cm mark!!

When the Kings come back, we are on!!! :thumbup:

Some nice fish, can't believe you can catch fish like that from where you are, looks like a normal park :P

If you don't mind, could you tell us where that spot it?

:D

Hi Locodave

I was introduced to that spot by a member of another site when he showed me the art of blackie fishing. Only clues I will give is that it's a "dog" of a park near the markets :tease:

To all the Raiders out there that have never met up with randoms from the site for a fish, DO IT!

The last 2 weeks I have met up with 2 members that I have never fished with before. Met some very nice people, learnt some new things and helped them catch some memorable captures.

Things like these bring me back to fish week after week and if I get to make new friends while I'm doing it even better!

To Joe and Chris

Thanks again for great times and larfs, we'll have to do it again reel soon.

It's fantastic just getting out there and hanging out with like minded people!

Cheers

Greg

Greg,

Not a truer word has been spoken.

I must say that my fishing has inproved out of sight since teaming up with other fishos like yourself and saying hello to others when you are out on the water. This site has been a major element in improving my fishing as I am sure it has been for others. :biggrin2:

Untill next time..... TIGHT LINES. :thumbup:

A great day or two out fishing, targetting two fun fighting fish! Nice fat looking blackie, too, Chris.

Like you, Greg, I was amazed at getting a big flattie on green weed when fishing for blackies! It was over 70cm & I didn't think I would land it on 6lb fluoro & a size 10 hook! Some how I managed it! Great fight on light gear, eh? Shame he busted you off.

Tight lines

Roberta

nice fish there greg .... got to teach me the secrets of pig fishing ...

but y off land not boat ?

Hey Joe

Mate, Blackies I think are easier to fish from the shore than in a boat.

To hard to control the line unless you anchor front and back to keep the boat in one spot.

The Skeeter isn't really set up to fish at anchor and my saftey anchor is a bit of a joke!

G

Very true GregL, i have done 90 percent of my blackie fishing off the shore in the harbour, different story in the rivers thoug hwere kellicking back and front side on in the run will get you more fish and acess to great spots, its a trick trying to kellick in the run if your on your own too! Neve got the hang odf it but dad was a master at tin the old row boats at Como shed (you could hire one for 10 shillings a day back then :1prop: )

Nice fish too you got they are along way up the harbour at the moment too. a cheap way to make a reef pick is get some old water pipe and reinforcing bar (about 5mm) and weld it to the pipe, put an eye at the bottom and top attach the chain to the bottom eye and then tie the chain to the top eye with string the chain will lay theanchor when you set it if it gets stuck then the string breaks you run over the anchor and it shouls come free, old trick i used to use in the Georges which Dad refer to as tripping the anchor.

Cheers

Royce.