Jermey Got The Big One!

GregL

Patty and I were off to do the usual Monday fish.

Jeremy my 7 year old was on his last day of school holidays and after his last trip of going and not landing one, he was determine to get a bass. Up at 3:30am to try get the 5am opening time we were off.

All that rushing around and guess what happens?

The gate keeper comes late, 50mins late!

50mins of prime top water action time....... not happy!

Off we blasted to the boom and work the shady pockets.

Patty and I we up front busy away flicking poppers with swipes few and far between with only a couple to me coming aboard before Jermeys gold spinner/4"turtle back 1/16 jig head combo go smacked!

His own custom Millerod Wharfie Jr rod was fully loaded to the handles and the little Stella 1000 was screaming. A smooth gentle lift and wind had the fish to the side of the boat in no time.

With plenty of guidence from the front I finally slid the net under Jermey's first ever bass!

The fish went 37cm and even with Patty and I trying as hard as we could we couldn't find any bigger the rest of the day.

post-3563-1192442304_thumb.jpg

And one of my "little ones"

post-3563-1192442320_thumb.jpg

The number one lure today was the Smiths Mebapen Mebaru. It's a silent surface lure, not like a noisey popper. This thing was that good at one stage all 3 of us on board had it on!

Here is a pic of it if you don't know what I'm talking about. They are sensational on the bream to especially super clear water ;)

We just cast it super tight against the rocks in the little cuts in the rock under trees, twitch twitch, they slurp it!

If the cast isn't a direct hit we'd just crank it back fast and fire in a better one. That's how important good casting was!

post-3563-1192442334_thumb.jpg

Well that's it for another week for the bass, I just hope we are worthy to fish with the new deckie!!

Cheers

Greg

Well done Jeremy, Ive seen the rod in question and it is surely a sweet stick, I noticed that when we went out he was starting to find the range with his casts then too, a few years and you will be taking him up the cape with you, look out AFC in 10 yrs, I have that lure that you mention Greg pitty I didnt try it last time, I figured it was a bit small, cheers Justin.

Thanks guys for your comments.

Well except Icemans "boofhead" one.....

I'm never going to escape that name!

I know Jeremy was so excited with his capture.

He was even talking about lures in his sleep last night, what a true fisherman!!

Wildfish.

The rod was one of his Chrissy prezzies from last year.

I know Ian well from all of my rods. We were talking one day and I asked him about kids rods as all on the market were crap. So 6 months later the Wharfie Jr was born. They were that good he even built them up for his own kids. They are a short 6ft super light rod built with recoil guides and a Sic tip and stripper guide. With a sticker that says "custom built for Jeremy Lee by Ian MIller" just sets it off and makes it special to him.

Jeremy first learnt to cast when he was 3. We use to sit out in the yard casting at buckets every day when I was teaching myself how to catch bream on plastics. He showed lots of promise but the rods he used at the time were to bulky and heavy for him to cast for long periods.

With good quality gear it makes fishing more pleasurable for both parents and kids with no gear hassels. If you teach your kids early to take care and look after their stuff it should last for many many years. I know I still have my first real fishing rod!

The Stella was one of mine. It was the last Stella I bought before changing all my bream outfits to Exists. At the time I was buying them for $490 delivered. I sold a bunch off for $300 each but I kept a couple of the super new ones for Jeremy. Perfect size for his little hands and @ $300 I might as well keep em......

FGH.

Mate that was out at Penrith on the Nepean.

Cheers

Greg

The rod was one of his Chrissy prezzies from last year.

I know Ian well from all of my rods. We were talking one day and I asked him about kids rods as all on the market were crap. So 6 months later the Wharfie Jr was born. They were that good he even built them up for his own kids. They are a short 6ft super light rod built with recoil guides and a Sic tip and stripper guide. With a sticker that says "custom built for Jeremy Lee by Ian MIller" just sets it off and makes it special to him.

Waaa, I wish my dad was that into his fishing when I was younger. I only got to use a cane rod !!

Good stuff - looked like a fun day out.

Waaa, I wish my dad was that into his fishing when I was younger. I only got to use a cane rod !!

Good stuff - looked like a fun day out.

Mate exactly my thoughts!

I had my old yellow hand line till I was 10.

I wished I had the oportunites my son has now.

I wonder where my fishing would be at now if I had what he has.....

I would rather spend a few hundred on a fishing outfit for him than spend the same amount on a gaming console with a game or 2. He didn't even know my PS2 played games untill he was 6, he thought it was a DVD player! ;)

If it's for good clean outdoor fun you really can't put a price on it and for Jeremy I'd do anything.

Would he have caught and landed that fish on lesser gear with it's 4lb line and 6lb leader?

I don't know, but I would hate to have seen the look if he lost it!

Greg