Browns Mountain

mako1

Hit the water pretty late as dad and I were watching the rugby semi-final.

Couldn't get any livies so we headed for the mountain.

At the halfway point the lures went in.Trolled all the way to Browns for no hits.

I was keen to try out some different hooks and rigs so I

got the winch out and dropped the first bait in 550m of water.

Got a good hit and pulled in a 13kg blue eye.

Dropped afew more times in the deeper spot but only got afew small bites.

Moved abit shallower to 490m and picked up a small gemfish.

Alot of small bites but no good hits.

Moved to another mark at 430m and finally got a better hit and pulled in a 11kg blue eye.

Had another drop but there were only small bites again.

The wind was starting to get stronger so we didn't bother cubing.

Trolled back to the 20km mark for no hits.

Water was 20.5 degrees at Browns.

Hadn't been to Browns for months so it was great to get out again

and I can't complain with fresh blue eye steaks,YUMMY :drool:

post-2229-1192450146_thumb.jpg

Hi Mako,

Top catch and well done. just a question, when you were out there were there any boats trying for fin and if so did you see anyone bringing anything up. I havent seen any reports of late.

We are contemplating giving browns another go this year (maybe this week) for fin, but the temps have warmed up and i dont want to be wasting fuel and time when theres going to be nothing out there. Any thoughts?

Jay Kay

Hi Mako,

Top catch and well done. just a question, when you were out there were there any boats trying for fin and if so did you see anyone bringing anything up. I havent seen any reports of late.

We are contemplating giving browns another go this year (maybe this week) for fin, but the temps have warmed up and i dont want to be wasting fuel and time when theres going to be nothing out there. Any thoughts?

Jay Kay

There were afew boats cubing but I didn't see any fin caught.There were some boats further out past browns that may have caught some.I haven't heard of any reports of tuna from the weekend.Did see one of the big boats hooked up to what looked like a shark but I'm not sure if they landed it.The temp all around browns and to the shelf varied from 20.2 to 20.5 degrees.So unless there is a good temp break coming I think the tuna will be hard to come by,but then again you never can tell,anything can happen out there.You may even pick up an early marlin with the warm water.Did see a big sunfish on the surface so keep an eye out on the way out as they can do alot of damage to your boat.

There were afew boats cubing but I didn't see any fin caught.There were some boats further out past browns that may have caught some.I haven't heard of any reports of tuna from the weekend.Did see one of the big boats hooked up to what looked like a shark but I'm not sure if they landed it.The temp all around browns and to the shelf varied from 20.2 to 20.5 degrees.So unless there is a good temp break coming I think the tuna will be hard to come by,but then again you never can tell,anything can happen out there.You may even pick up an early marlin with the warm water.Did see a big sunfish on the surface so keep an eye out on the way out as they can do alot of damage to your boat.

Thanks Mako, since we havent heard any reports we might concede that the season is all but over. I say that now, but i'll bet We'll give it another crack when we start talking about the thrill of YFT.